Monday morning regrets and a touch of reality

My overriding feeling is one of deep regret too, they were there for the taking and we blew it. Being honest they took their chances really well , but we let them get comfortable even with being down to ten men.

It was a great game, usual derby fair, but small mistakes can kill you ,  Several things stood out for me, we let them dominate the ball for long spells, that seems to spell a disaster in the making for us, we missed some sitters, never good thing at this level.  Murty dithered when Rodgers was  decisive.

The game changed when they went down to ten men, we done nothing to capitalise on that game changer, when Murty made the change to  bolster his  striker options it looked too little too late. I could hear myself shouting in my sleep last night ''Get Cummings on ffs'' 

Experience with tactical awareness at vital times and some composure in front of goal  would have won us that game. Experience will come with time, composure will come with experience, tactical awareness will have to be learned, but do have we the luxury and patience to allow this time? 

While it looks like hindsight, I was hoping for a quicker introduction of Cummings too. While John looked at his best, Murphy was sure not. Far from being invisible, he still did not offer a real threat. When Cummings did came on, he showed what he can offer with his aggression, pace and willingness to chase people even back to our own penalty area. Somewhat different to what Murphy and Windass offered yesterday, at least after HT.

Goss also was probably overawed by the occasion and the tenacity by their midfield. I had hoped that we get Holt in there roundabout the 60 min mark, who is not shy of going into tackles and giving his all.

You start to wonder how we will perform if we have McCrorie next to Docherty in central midfield, perhaps a second striker in the shape of Cummings instead of Windass and Candeias and Murphy firing on all cylinders  ...

Edited by der Berliner

We are so close to beating them, so why now look for wholesale changes?  That doesn't make sense to me.

Murty could and should have made changes yesterday when we went a man up,, but let's be clear about this, that team should have beat them yesterday, even without any subs.  We played really well in spells and only allowed Celtic to play when we stopped doing what we've been doing so well.

We don't need to change much at all, and certainly not the formation/tactics.  One strong signing for centreback and a number 10 is all we need to beat them, and I'd suggest we can do it comfortably if we keep progressing the way we have been.

Lets not talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water now.  We are so close to the tipping point.

We just need defenders who can do their job of defending a lead to give away the upper hand twice was disappointing but we have greatly improved since the last two managers give young Murty the chance and it will be fine again ,don't panic .

25 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Goss also was probably overawed by the occasion and the tenacity by their midfield. I had hoped that we get Holt in there roundabout the 60 min mark, who is not shy of going into tackles and giving his all.

You've hit the nail on the head. I can't believe Goss played the 90 minutes. I think he's a bit of a luxury player, great for those games against your Hamiltons and St Johnstones but there's too much required of our midfield defensively against Celtic. If we had two Docherty's we wouldn't have lost imo. It wasn't just the Edouard goal it was time and time again he wasn't at it defensively.

Holt was great at Parkhead and would have been far better and getting close to his man and winning the ball back by pressurising them.

The counter argument would be that we needed Goss's creativity when they went down to 10 men, but he was exhausted by then. We needed Holt's energy in the middle with the creativity coming from elsewhere.

If we had Martin and either Bates or McCrorie at the back I feel it would have been a different result. I don’t think anyone was happy with Cardozo on the pitch. We played fantastic for the first 25 mins. The goal aside they sat back for the last half hour.

Edited by cooponthewing

Speaking of which, I was a bit disappointing that Murty levelled bother at his defenders. For it was him who kept Cardoso on the bench for ages and did not hand any of our "2nd string" any game time with friendlies or the like on a more regular basis.

What hurt people most was probably their 2nd, but saying that who can tell if any other defender would have done any better, while risking a straight red along the way? The ball bounced well for Dembele and he struck a sweet strike he probably won't repeat this season. How often have we seen such goals decide an OF, and against the run of play?

Likewise their third. We can say this or that against our defence, but the reality is that we have 300k chaps out there against a loanee from Paris St. Germain costing them 2m in loan fees, who showed all the class that is required at PSG to whip one past Foderingham.

While one can sure talk about "bad defending", it surely isn't as simple as that. You can't have strikers hitting fine shots and score brilliant goals on the one hand, and simply poor defending on the other. That pendulum also swings both ways.