John Beaton warned he was going to be sent off, reveals Craig Levein

I'm not getting this, why are most folk thinking it's ok to hand any team a possible advantage of this sort?

Yes, in a friendly match i've seen this done but surely it's up to the manager to make that call not the ref, am i missing something here?????

9 minutes ago, onevision said:

I'm not getting this, why are most folk thinking it's ok to hand any team a possible advantage of this sort?

Yes, in a friendly match i've seen this done but surely it's up to the manager to make that call not the ref, am i missing something here?????

I think it is good refereeing, nobody wants to see players sent off or injured, it was common when I was playing Junior football, as long as it is done with every team/player and it is clearly not done by Beaton.

I don't see it as an advantage.

Like many on here have said, it's the sensible thing to do if done consistently.  The ref's job is to apply the rules of the game, but it's also to manage the game in a sensible manner.  If he thinks that speaking with a player is sensible, or a captain, or a manager, it's smart to have that talk.  However, if he's seen to do it to favour one side then it becomes a problem.

Still not getting it Guys.

I've played at a reasonable level and seen it done during friendly matches if things get to heated but not during a competitive match.

The referee is there to call it on the park not to influence the game off it, i'm certainly not having it, something not right here.

5 hours ago, onevision said:

No fucking way, warn the player yes but to advise the manager is bang out of order.

So we could have gained an advantage if Hearts went down to 10 men, something doesn't quite ring right here.

I actually thought Beaton did his job this time around on Saturday and controlled the game but to possibly hand Hearts an unfair advantage stinks to high heavens.

It isn't handing them an unfair advantage, it is applying common sense.

I can't stand Beaton (THAT Hibs defeat at Ibrox early in the season is one of only two games I have been able to attend this season and that Beaton "cheated" me out of seeing a Rangers win) but a game of football is intended to be played 11 v 11 - no reason the ref can't have a quiet word with player OR manager to inform them that said player is walking a tightrope.  As buster says, this is fine but only if consistency is applied to both teams.

I attend local games here in Bermuda and we have absolutely BRUTAL refs.  The one shining light of a ref is an Englishman and one of the reasons he is a shining light is because he is constantly talking to players and officials on why he made decisions he made - nobody is ever surprised at how he gets to the decisions he does.  You may not agree with them but you know exactly how they were arrived at.

You say Hearts could have had an unfair advantage - but what if they used all 3 subs including this one and then had a player stretchered off and finished with 10 men - would the ref have then handed us an unfair advantage, particularly if said player hadn't committed another foul in the 2nd half ?

2 hours ago, boabie said:

Beaton had at least 2 opportunities to send the player off. When he didn't appear for the second half I suspected the referee had a word.

The referee cheated us once again. Scandalous.

Nonsense.  It isn't cheating at all.

Beaton trying to stop Hearts getting Beaten he should have warned the player himself of what would happen and not the manager.

The player then if he had any brains might have calmed his jets,then let his manager know of the warning at half-time.

IMO managers/coaches should be noting what their players are doing,after all they use so much paper at substitutions,and taking appropriate action themselves.