John Beaton warned he was going to be sent off, reveals Craig Levein

Hearts subbed Joaquim Adao against Rangers because ref John Beaton warned he was going to be sent off, reveals Craig Levein

Beaton warned Levein that Adao was walking on a tightrope and would be given his marching orders with one more mistimed.

CRAIG LEVEIN says he had no option but to hook Joaquim Adao at Ibrox – because ref John Beaton was ready to send him off.

Hearts midfielder Adao was booked after just 19 minutes and was lucky to avoid further punishment after two further fouls before the half-time break.

Beaton warned Levein that Adao was walking on a tightrope and would be given his marching orders with one more mistimed tackle.

And the Jambos boss decided not to run the risk of losing the 25-year-old ahead of a crucial run of fixtures by subbing him at half-time.

Speaking after the 2-0 defeat to Rangers, he told the Evening News: “I had to take him off at half-time because the referee had said: ‘One more tackle and I’m sending him off.’ I can’t afford to lose him.

“We’ve lost Arnaud Djoum to injury and we can’t afford to lose another midfielder.

“We brought Joaquim in because he’s competitive. I don’t want to to quell any of that competitive nature, but he just needs to be careful.

“I think he likes the football here. He likes the second-ball scenarios where you’ve got to anticipate and be aggressive.

“He can tackle as well and he likes tackling. With losing Arnaud, I worry about what I would have left if Joaquim wasn’t playing.

“I just wanted to keep him available. I want him available for tomorrow night against Kilmarnock and I want him available for Sunday against Motherwell in the Scottish Cup.”

Hearts face Kilmarnock at Tynecastle tomorrow before Sunday’s Scottish Cup quarter-final against Motherwell.

The Jam Tarts then have an Edinburgh derby to look forward to on Friday March 9 at Easter Road.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2284944/hearts-joaquim-adao-john-beaton-rangers/

7 hours ago, colinstein said:

good that the ref put out that warning........think he did right

No fucking way, warn the player yes but to advise the manager is bang out of order.

So we could have gained an advantage if Hearts went down to 10 men, something doesn't quite ring right here.

I actually thought Beaton did his job this time around on Saturday and controlled the game but to possibly hand Hearts an unfair advantage stinks to high heavens.

43 minutes ago, onevision said:

No fucking way, warn the player yes but to advise the manager is bang out of order.

So we could have gained an advantage if Hearts went down to 10 men, something doesn't quite ring right here.

I actually thought Beaton did his job this time around on Saturday and controlled the game but to possibly hand Hearts an unfair advantage stinks to high heavens.

Telling the manager is exactly the right thing to do in my opinion, and although I think Beaton is a nightmare, I have to applaud his common sense here.

Opposition players have got away with 4 or 5 nasty challenges against our players recently but our lads seem to get booked each time they go in hard.  Maybe I'm biased but that's the way it seems.  

The referee telling the managers that a player is one bad challenge away from a sending off is fine by me, as long as he is consistent in doing so.  

Edited by Gonzo79