Celtic kit man pleads 'not guilty'

Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty pleads 'not guilty' to catalogue of sex offences

By Michael Donnelly · 23 February 2018 12:18 PM

A trial date was set on Friday for former Celtic kit man Jim McCafferty after he pleaded "not guilty" to a catalogue of sex offences involving one young boy over a two year period up to December 2013.

Belfast Recorder Judge David McFarland ordered that the case, estimated to last one to two weeks, be held on May 21, a year after he was first returned for trial.

Earlier the 71-year-old was formally arraigned before the city's Crown Court on the eight charges of sexual assault in which the kit man is accused of "intentionally touching" a boy, under 16, and that the "touching was sexual".

Defence counsel Patrick Taylor told the court that further reports on McCafferty, formerly of Raby Street in south Belfast, were being obtained. 

McCafferty was initially returned for trial from Belfast Magistrates' Court in May last year, following his arrest in December 2016 after giving an interview to a national newspaper and then walking into a Belfast police station.

No details surrounding McCafferty's alleged offences were given during the short formal hearing before he was remanded back into custody to await his trial.

McCaffrety who previously lived in the Glasgow area, worked at Celtic Football Club more than 20 years ago. He was also a kit man for other Scottish clubs, including Falkirk and Hibs, before moving back to Northern Ireland around seven years ago.

https://amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/celtic-kit-man-jim-mccafferty-pleads-not-guilty-to-catalogue-of-sex-offences-36636107.html?__twitter_impression=true

All monsters like Barry Bennell deserve to be punished, says Alan Brazil

Author: Alan Brazil, 25 February 2018

THERE is only one word for Barry Bennell and people of his ilk – monster.

I was delighted to see the predatory former youth coach being handed a 31-year prison sentence for sexually abusing kids this week.

That’s a proper sentence, and it had to be.

The judge that jailed Bennell called him “the devil incarnate” for heaven’s sake.

If that doesn’t give you an idea of how evil his actions were, nothing will.

But I’ve got no doubt that there are plenty more twisted people just like him still out there.

They are people who have been entrusted with coaching children.

They are people who abused that trust and escaped justice.

I have a personal interest in this issue, as most people know.

In 1998, my evidence helped bring down James Torbett, the sick Celtic Boys’ Club coach who abused me – and others – in the ’60s and ’70s.

Seeing him convicted was a great moment.

So I would urge anybody else who endured the same nightmare as a kid – and I know they are out there – to stand up and speak out.

These animals who prey on children deserve to be punished, just like Torbett was, and just like Bennell has been.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/all-monsters-like-barry-bennell-deserve-to-be-punished-says-alan-brazil/