Pacific Quay Musings?

Steve Carson is a Belfast 'Prod'. It should be noted that the BBC version of Rebus made him a Jambo instead of a Hibee. He was never a Hibs fan in the books but was on the STV dramatisation. 

26th of Foot has as much chance of getting the BBC Scotland controller position than any of Kevin McKenna, Chris McLaughlin, Angela Haggerty, Gerry Braiden. Cosgrove is an outside chance, but I think it's unlikely, he's closer to Biden in age than Carson. 

But I'd agree that whoever it is that gets the job they're unlikely to be openly sympathetic to their close Govan neighbours or those who follow them. 

Keep up the good work, 26th, I always look forward to a new post on this thread. 

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Steve Carson is a Belfast 'Prod'. It should be noted that the BBC version of Rebus made him a Jambo instead of a Hibee. He was never a Hibs fan in the books but was on the STV dramatisation. 

26th of Foot has as much chance of getting the BBC Scotland controller position than any of Kevin McKenna, Chris McLaughlin, Angela Haggerty, Gerry Braiden. Cosgrove is an outside chance, but I think it's unlikely, he's closer to Biden in age than Carson. 

But I'd agree that whoever it is that gets the job they're unlikely to be openly sympathetic to their close Govan neighbours or those who follow them. 

Keep up the good work, 26th, I always look forward to a new post on this thread. 

Reference Steve Carson, I thought a BBC Scotland documentary on his own circumstances would be a good watch.

As stated, a Belfast raised Methodist marries a Dublin RC who has four daughters from her first marriage. Steve and Miriam go on to have four sons together. There are a number of interesting dichotomies to be explored?

The Rebus production was something I binged watched since returning from Galicia at the weekend. I read the books back in the day and enjoyed the Rebus dynamic. Reading the credits I noted the Scriptwriter and Executive Producer is Gregory Burke. The Fifer has done good works, I enjoyed his play, 'Black Watch' and his film, '1971' journeyed across a confused Belfast city scape of the time; both gave soldiers' points of view but, Gregory concluded one side had a monopoly on the truth. The film riffs on the Jean McConville narrative.

Similarly with Rebus, the drug dealers are Belfast Prods allowed to deal by the authorities to prevent a rekindling of the Troubles. In the fourth episode, there is a long lingering shot of the James Connolly memorial in Cowgate for no apparent reason. In the fifth episode, the main gangster character, Ger  Cafferty gets to deliver the speech about being fearful of Irish unity because the Prods will return to Scotland after 400 years and chase out folks of his faith. Shades of Danny Morrison and his Ard Fheis rant about the Vietnam boat people being joined by a new category after unity, "the Protestants will become the swimming people". The final scene of the Banker being shot on his home's doorstep riffs with the Alistair Wilson narrative in Nairn. After those Wilson family photos of his sons in Rangers tops, what is Gregory attempting to say?

Google Gregory Burke, particularly the assault he perpetrated upon a fellow undergraduate at Stirling Uni which confined his victim to three days in intensive care.

The next Director at PQ will be a continuum of the Long Game.