Pacific Quay Musings?

Steve Carson is a Belfast 'Prod'. It should be noted that the BBC version of Rebus made him a Jambo instead of a Hibee. He was never a Hibs fan in the books but was on the STV dramatisation. 

26th of Foot has as much chance of getting the BBC Scotland controller position than any of Kevin McKenna, Chris McLaughlin, Angela Haggerty, Gerry Braiden. Cosgrove is an outside chance, but I think it's unlikely, he's closer to Biden in age than Carson. 

But I'd agree that whoever it is that gets the job they're unlikely to be openly sympathetic to their close Govan neighbours or those who follow them. 

Keep up the good work, 26th, I always look forward to a new post on this thread. 

2 hours ago, JohnMc said:

Steve Carson is a Belfast 'Prod'. It should be noted that the BBC version of Rebus made him a Jambo instead of a Hibee. He was never a Hibs fan in the books but was on the STV dramatisation. 

26th of Foot has as much chance of getting the BBC Scotland controller position than any of Kevin McKenna, Chris McLaughlin, Angela Haggerty, Gerry Braiden. Cosgrove is an outside chance, but I think it's unlikely, he's closer to Biden in age than Carson. 

But I'd agree that whoever it is that gets the job they're unlikely to be openly sympathetic to their close Govan neighbours or those who follow them. 

Keep up the good work, 26th, I always look forward to a new post on this thread. 

Reference Steve Carson, I thought a BBC Scotland documentary on his own circumstances would be a good watch.

As stated, a Belfast raised Methodist marries a Dublin RC who has four daughters from her first marriage. Steve and Miriam go on to have four sons together. There are a number of interesting dichotomies to be explored?

The Rebus production was something I binged watched since returning from Galicia at the weekend. I read the books back in the day and enjoyed the Rebus dynamic. Reading the credits I noted the Scriptwriter and Executive Producer is Gregory Burke. The Fifer has done good works, I enjoyed his play, 'Black Watch' and his film, '1971' journeyed across a confused Belfast city scape of the time; both gave soldiers' points of view but, Gregory concluded one side had a monopoly on the truth. The film riffs on the Jean McConville narrative.

Similarly with Rebus, the drug dealers are Belfast Prods allowed to deal by the authorities to prevent a rekindling of the Troubles. In the fourth episode, there is a long lingering shot of the James Connolly memorial in Cowgate for no apparent reason. In the fifth episode, the main gangster character, Ger  Cafferty gets to deliver the speech about being fearful of Irish unity because the Prods will return to Scotland after 400 years and chase out folks of his faith. Shades of Danny Morrison and his Ard Fheis rant about the Vietnam boat people being joined by a new category after unity, "the Protestants will become the swimming people". The final scene of the Banker being shot on his home's doorstep riffs with the Alistair Wilson narrative in Nairn. After those Wilson family photos of his sons in Rangers tops, what is Gregory attempting to say?

Google Gregory Burke, particularly the assault he perpetrated upon a fellow undergraduate at Stirling Uni which confined his victim to three days in intensive care.

The next Director at PQ will be a continuum of the Long Game.

• 3 weeks later...

For my sins , I used to peruse  a Celtic blog in bygone days of yore. This blog was frequented by a number of  Celtic supporting journalists ( confirmed to me by an acquaintance who worked at the Record) One tim journalist( not at the Record)  used the pseudonym  of an IRA terrorist and a member of the fascist Maria Duce.  Recent reports of an unsavoury incident at Murrayfield by Rangers fans  came to mind when I remembered a number of angry posts on said blog when Celtic played Legia Warsaw in 2014 at the same stadium. 

Celtic lost and the blog was full of angry tims about the team , manager, players and of the behaviour of their own fans . Celtic fans in the stadium and the surrounding area had threatened violence to   Legia  fans and some had racially abused the Polish supporters.

Despite the number of journalists looking in to this blog , they, in their professional career 

decided to keep schtum ,  not one of them IIRC wrote about these incidents. 

Conversely, when the story broke about alleged involvement by Rangers fans at the weekend, journalists piled in desperate to get more details and now Neil Drysdale has vowed to not let this pass as he sees the cricket pitch as some sacred area. More from him will follow he promises. 

Can I make clear, that if any so called Rangers fan has indeed behaved as alleged then I hope they  are  charged by the police and banned for life by the club. I would have wanted the same treatment for the Celtic fans involved in the Legia game.

The conundrum is, by their action or lack of it, Celtic supporting journalists disagree. 

I heard a Man Utd fan called a Rangers fan a "Jock bender" and this has been reported as a racist homophobic incident by the press but they've excluded the specifics, unsurprisingly.  

Fear or irrational hatred blah blah blah.  Sticks and stones...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Living la Vida Loca.

It is a quarter of a century since Puerto Rican prancer and warbler, Ricky Martin achieved the number one spot with his take on enduring a mad world. It is appropriate mood music for all Rangers supporters who continue to exercise patience whilst PQ takes truth on another crazy journey. It is a quirk of our fate that Ricky Martin or, Ricky and Martin performed a choreographed rant on the latest manufactured controversy. Ricky Foster and Martin Dowden seized the penalty to Rangers narrative.

Richard Foster has turned out for Rangers on 53 occasions over two spells at the club, including a couple of appearances in the Champions League. Ricky took our money and never misses an opportunity to run to the national broadcaster and articulate disbelief. Eighteen months ago, he was appointed Chief of Coaching at Motherwell and after Rangers visited Fir Park he rushed into the Sportscene studio to vehemently disagree with two refereeing decisions. 'Well midfielder, Callum Slattery received a second yellow for backhanding Cantwell and Ricky did not accept the drawn VAR lines proving Sakala was onside for the concluding goal.

This particular PQ crazy journey to the truth took a week. Big Dick provided further interference on Sportsound the next day when he led 'Well Gaffer, Stuart Kettlewell with the line, "Todd Cantwell cheated and hoodwinked the Referee". Kettlewell was invited to Hampden to discuss both decisions and he accepted both decisions were correct. A similar trip began on Saturday.

Ricky thought Dessers fouled the Saints defender, Sanders then, he heard a whistle which he ventured stopped play. Good Sellik man, Martin Dowden penned the PQ website piece(it remains up today, Wednesday), "Controversial opener helps Rangers past St Johnstone". It has been Edited a couple of times but still contains the lines, "Dessers tangled with Sanders, Referee Mathew MacDermid seemed to give that as a foul" and, "St Johnstone were furious when the goal was ultimately awarded as they clearly felt play had been stopped by the Referee". Ricky leads, Martin reinforces la Vida Loca.

Another good Sellik man, Kheredine Idessane has penned a second concluding piece for the website today, "St Johnstone accept no whistle before Dessers goal". Saints asked for a Hampden meeting, attended and after hearing the audio from the incident, are satisfied that no breach of VAR protocol took place. Where does this leave Ricky and Martin? 

Regular Rangers Hater in Chief, Michael Stewart was doing co-comms on Premier Sports for the game and unsurprisingly he deemed Dessers had fouled Sanders. We know the former Sellik TV Pundit sees himself as the Jiminey Cricket of Scottish football. I suspect both Ricky and Martin heard the Ginja Ninja giving it, "a little (dog) whistle"?

Upside, inside out

We're livin' la vida loca.

37 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Ricky Foster is a grown man who dresses like his mum still chooses his outfits and he's a nationalist twit, to boot.  

As long as she takes no inspiration from the lyrics of livin' la vida loca there will be no complaints from me.