Alex McLeish glad to see Rangers heed his advice and buying British

Alex McLeish glad to see Rangers heed his advice and buying British

Former Rangers manager Alex McLeish has been impressed by Rangers' recruitment in the January transfer window.

Former Rangers manager Alex McLeish has been impressed by Rangers' recruitment in the January transfer window.

ALEX MCLEISH may or may not be in the running for the manager’s position at Rangers come the end of the season, but he has already pointed the way to success for the Ibrox side in terms of their recruitment.

The former Rangers boss met with club chiefs for an informal discussion about the role prior to interim manager Graeme Murty being handed the reins until the end of the season. While that ultimately didn’t lead to him being offered the position, he is glad that some of the advice he gave to his old club seems to have sunk in, and is being heeded during the January transfer window.

After watching a succession of foreign imports arrive at Ibrox last summer under the instruction of Pedro Caixinha, McLeish was adamant that the club’s recruitment moving forward had to factor in players who knew what the Ibrox club, and Scottish football, were all about, believing that balance to be critical in order to complement talented imports like Alfredo Morelos and Daniel Candeias. His overriding message? Buy British.

“When I went in and had an initial chat with Rangers – it wasn’t an interview as such, it was just a wee chat to see what they were thinking – I did explain to them that they had to get players who had that kind of desire and fight, and knew what it was to be a Rangers player,” McLeish said.

“That may sound old-fashioned, but it’s about mentality when you play for Rangers. That’s the key to it, and I think that Graeme has been reasonably shrewd. The biggest key to management and coaching is recruitment.

“When I saw Pedro Caixinha bringing in all the foreign guys and the unknowns, I thought that it was going to end in tears. I was absolutely correct, because I’ve got all that experience.

“I was with Arthur Numan recently at a function, and Arthur was very, very passionate about his introduction to Rangers. Guys in the dressing room like Ian Ferguson saying; ‘you foreign guys don’t know what it’s all about here’, and he gave Arthur and the other guys a real rollicking. Arthur said that really registered with them.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15889985.Alex_McLeish_glad_to_see_Rangers_heed_his_advice_by_buying_British/

• Frankie changed the title to Alex McLeish glad to see Rangers heed his advice and buying British