Colts in SPFL next year?

3 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Yes, and this is why I don't want it to happen.

Improving youth development is a means to an end.  I think that end is to improve Scottish football.  There are lots of ways to improve youth development but this particular one will also damage Scottish football.  It makes no sense to me.

Youth development should be improved but not at any cost.

What's the cost?

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

What's the cost?

A bigger gap between the top two and the rest.  I can't stand Scottish football these days but realistically, if we are miles ahead of everyone, the competition lessens and we aren't ready to play teams in Europe.

I'd rather have a competitive league.  

It's all about opinions and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for putting Rangers first.  

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

A bigger gap between the top two and the rest.  I can't stand Scottish football these days but realistically, if we are miles ahead of everyone, the competition lessens and we aren't ready to play teams in Europe.

I'd rather have a competitive league.  

It's all about opinions and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for putting Rangers first.  

Although the pilot consists of Rangers and them, there is interest from other Premiership sides which will be taken up. The German II teams don't result in a less competitive top league -- outside of Bayern!

There must be a reason why the Countries that develop the best players (Spain and Germany) and play the best football have 'B' teams in their league structure?

It's not the only reason, of course, but it must play its part.

7 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Although the pilot consists of Rangers and them, there is interest from other Premiership sides which will be taken up. The German II teams don't result in a less competitive top league -- outside of Bayern!

The same point applies to the German league.

Would it be better without youth teams in the lower leagues?

It'll not influence the top league, and the lower leagues are rather competitive anyway: it still doesn't generate interest, nor attract youngsters to go out on loan. 

Having a Rangers 'B' team in League Two will generate more gate receipts for the lower league clubs, generate a bit more interest etc.

It is inherently selfish: a 'B' team bridges the gap between youth-team and first-team for the side (Rangers, say), but the youngster remains in the Rangers mentality, play the way the first-team play, while getting 'first-team' experience.

It produces better players, and even if they don't make it in the first-team, they'll filter down into smaller clubs.

How many teams from the lowest tier regularly produce players that go on to bigger/better things???  Even when we were in the lower leagues, our players were not considered for Scotland call-ups due to oppositions they were playing.

The sustained, guaranteed extra cash for these wee teams will be a godsend for them, maybe even enabling them to improve their setups which will allow them to produce/attract better quality players, which in turn proves a better challenge to the B-sides, which in turn produces better players - The Circle of Life.