Rangers Observer Analysis: Graeme Murty's caretaker reign so far

November 15, 2017

By Kyle McLean | Guest Contributor

I want to start this article off by acknowledging the massive tactical shift that will come from a change in manager and the time needed for players to adjust. However, I will say this: for the first time in a while, Rangers are playing and bullying the opposition, instead of being bullied by them.

https://www.rangersobserver.com/views/2017/11/14/v63kddix91g3ga1ime9jbx833igniq

Interesting, but at times a bit biased. How would e.g. Pedro's management have an impact on how Alves and Cardoso defended? When various factors will have had impacts on how they performed. But there you go.

Of course a manager can have an effect on how defenders defend in the way he sets up the team.He can alo give confidence to his players or drain it away. A managers performance has a big impact on the whole team. You only have to look at the difference between Ronnie Dalia and Brendon Rogers to see that.

Of course a manager can have an effect on how defenders defend in the way he sets up the team.He can alo give confidence to his players or drain it away. A managers performance has a big impact on the whole team. You only have to look at the difference between Ronnie Dalia and Brendon Rogers to see that.

The manager is but one factor of many and IMHO, Pedro's impact on Alves' and Cardoso's defending was probably as minimal as it gets. I doubt that either player has ever come up against the tactics employed by Scottish teams against us that often, or wing-backs who are more often in the opponent's half than defending, leaving them as exposed as they were. That said, PC was giving Tav quite a bit of FLAK indeed ...

The manager is but one factor of many and IMHO, Pedro's impact on Alves' and Cardoso's defending was probably as minimal as it gets. I doubt that either player has ever come up against the tactics employed by Scottish teams against us that often, or wing-backs who are more often in the opponent's half than defending, leaving them as exposed as they were. That said, PC was giving Tav quite a bit of FLAK indeed ...

If that is the case then we did the right thing in sacking Pedro.

If a manager has "minimal" impact on his players then he shouldnt be there. It is his job to get the best out of players and, if they do things wrong, it is his job to work on them on the training ground to correct them.

Even the positioning of the wing-backs is the manager's decision. If the CB's are being exposed too often because of a high line from the wing-backs then it is the manager's job to correct that.

You do a good job of proving pete's point, which isn't your intent :ninja:

Edited by craig

If that is the case then we did the right thing in sacking Pedro.

If a manager has "minimal" impact on his players then he shouldnt be there. It is his job to get the best out of players and, if they do things wrong, it is his job to work on them on the training ground to correct them.

Even the positioning of the wing-backs is the manager's decision. If the CB's are being exposed too often because of a high line from the wing-backs then it is the manager's job to correct that.

You do a good job of proving pete's point, which isn't your intent :ninja:

You should not turn the argument on its head. I simply reckon that Alves as well as Cardoso are accomplished defenders who don't need that much tutoring by their manager when it comes to defending.

As for your last sentence, I generally simply don't join the bandwaggon of people who slate Pedro no matter what, especially with stuff that he has little or no impact upon.

Edited by der Berliner

It's ironic that this week we were discussing the issue of LGBT and the need for acceptance of all at Ibrox. If only that same courtesy had been extended to PC. Alas, it appears that many supporters would not accept him from day one.

Now he's gone, there are supporters who will continue to apportion all sorts of blame on him.

I don't know if we have a particular problem with our support, or if that's the same with all clubs, but as we've discussed before I just hope our next manager can unite the fans. What a thankless task that is!!!

It's ironic that this week we were discussing the issue of LGBT and the need for acceptance of all at Ibrox. If only that same courtesy had been extended to PC. Alas, it appears that many supporters would not accept him from day one.

Now he's gone, there are supporters who will continue to apportion all sorts of blame on him.

I don't know if we have a particular problem with our support, or if that's the same with all clubs, but as we've discussed before I just hope our next manager can unite the fans. What a thankless task that is!!!

Lets face it Pedro was rank rotten from day one.

You should not turn the argument on its head. I simply reckon that Alves as well as Cardoso are accomplished defenders who don't need that much tutoring by their manager when it comes to defending.

As for your last sentence, I generally simply don't join the bandwaggon of people who slate Pedro no matter what, especially with stuff that he has little or no impact upon.

I don’t slate Pedro either. But if he has little impact on his players, regardless of experience, then he shouldn’t have been in the job. Any manager is employed to get the best out of his players. And I’d be surprised if what we have seen from Alves and Cardoso is “their best”.

Look at how rejuvenated Raheem Sterling looks this season under Guardiola (and I’m no fan of Sterling). Or how... closer to home... Brendan Rodgers seems to have rejuvenated Scott Brown (no fan of him either...)