Rangers back LGBT players

I think the worst thing nowadays is people deciding what other people may be offended by.

For example, we recently found out at work that poppies wouldn't be for sale in the foyer for the first time that any staff can remember. Upon enquiry this was stopped in case anyone found offence. Asked if there had been any complaints, there had not been.

Utterly bizarre.

Read something yesterday about a teacher being suspended for calling a transsexual boy a girl - as I said, I cant keep up.

A Christian teacher at a Christian school.

We're not very inclusive when it comes to Christian beliefs these days.

I can remember guys who got a terrible time at school because there was just something a wee bit different about them. Isn't it better now?

Mac, I can go back a good while to when I was at school and recall that there were always one or two guys a wee bit different and who got a hard time.

It may have been that they were fat or wore glasses or had a lisp. Nobody protected them. It's simply something that kids do and have always done.

Mac, I can go back a good while to when I was at school and recall that there were always one or two guys a wee bit different and who got a hard time.

It may have been that they were fat or wore glasses or had a lisp. Nobody protected them. It's simply something that kids do and have always done.

Teachers are a lot more on top of that kind of stuff these days - School children get much more protection from bullying, and most of the kids themselves are more understanding of others' disabilities, etc. (Far more so than when I was a school at least). I think you could reasonably argue that it's perhaps gone too far and that nowadays kids are coddled at school - but it's definitely a damn site better environment than my day.

Edited by Thinker

Why the quotation marks around the word gay ?

This whole transgerder, transsexual thing has me flummoxed - I simply can't keep up. The nomenclature has me scratching my head.

Read something yesterday about a teacher being suspended for calling a transsexual boy a girl - as I said, I cant keep up.

A Christian teacher at a Christian school.

We're not very inclusive when it comes to Christian beliefs these days.

Obviously it's being taken too far if teachers are getting suspended for accidentally offending someone. The point of the laces thing is to stand up for folk who are getting threatened and abused.

I don't think the teacher of school's religion has a lot to do with this though. The Church of England has just made announcement about how kids at their schools should be treated with regard to gender identity - so it's perfectly possible to be Christian and open-minded on this matter.

Obviously it's being taken too far if teachers are getting suspended for accidentally offending someone. The point of the laces thing is to stand up for folk who are getting threatened and abused.

I don't think the teacher of school's religion has a lot to do with this though. The Church of England has just made announcement about how kids at their schools should be treated with regard to gender identity - so it's perfectly possible to be Christian and open-minded on this matter.

I am a "live and let live" kind of person so have absolutely no issue with us supporting this. As you say, it is about highlighting the abuse and threats. Indeed, the wife and I were in NYC back in June (I was on a training course) and it just so happened that the "Gay Pride Parade" was on whilst we were there - we went along with a friend to see it and it was quite the sight (in a positive way). Not one single person of all the hundreds of thousands either participating or watching had anything but a smile on their face. No hate, no abuse, no threatening behavior - just an acceptance of our differences.

At one point I was watching a float just up the street and saw a topless girl and thought "that girl has nice boobs" and as the float passed in front of us his/her (see, I still don't know how to appropriately "label") penis fell out of their leotard/bikini. After a brief momentary shock I was more than just a little impressed at how people were more than comfortable with who they are.

We aren't all the same - and the world would be a terrible place if we were....

I'm open to all and believe in true equality (which I believe is NOT the same as what most people campaign for).

However, I think people overlook some of the reasons that there is, or was discrimination, and we should take steps to ameliorate some of those before pushing things down people's throats.

I think the best example is shared changing, toilets, showers and those large baths they used to have. It is not unreasonable that a heterosexual male could object to sharing any of that with a gay man, when it is considered more than reasonable that a woman would not want to share any of them with a heterosexual male. That's actually discrimination against heterosexual males.

My solution is to have private cubicles for all. These days it wouldn't take much more room and slight increase in the costs are affordable - and to me in the same bracket as accessibility as to its necessity for said cost.

Some progressive places like Starbucks already do this for toilets and it is a complete solution to the recent issue in the US about transgender and toilets. We have some gender neutral toilets at work but very few.

There will be situations like at football grounds where people will call it impractical - but then how can then you expect people to accept gay men when they can watch them pee?

Women don't have quite the same problem with gay women as they don't have to pee on full view as they have stalls.

I'm not personally making a big deal of this, but you can't just openly discriminate against one part of society in order to embrace another and expect everyone to be fine about it. If you are going to tackle this, you need to do it in a very egalitarian way or what is it about?

With multiple genders, I also think we should disband all single-gender and clubs competitions for the same reasons, and make them all open for the whole spectrum - like Wimbledon for instance. (Or should we start a intersex and two transgender only competitions that attract the same prize money?) We should just one non-discriminatory competition, as well as golf where there was a lot of controversy about a transgender women.

However, today's society in general is not open and fair minded enough to allow it. For me you can only embrace diversity, if you treat everyone as a person, rather than a gender (except in circumstances were it would be counterproductive).

At one point I was watching a float just up the street and saw a topless girl and thought "that girl has nice boobs" and as the float passed in front of us his/her (see, I still don't know how to appropriately "label") penis fell out of their leotard/bikini.

So heterosexual men are accused of sexual harrassment for winking but it's okay for a transgender person to get their boobs and penis out on a public street?

And people wonder why others may view this disapprovingly.

For the record, I witnessed men in chaps with their bums hanging out during an Edinburgh Pride parade and I was with my 4 year old son at the time (on our way to a mate's flat in the city centre) so was rather concerned at this being allowed.