Rangers fans brand Aberdeen fan forum members “dregs of society”

I think a lot of so called Rangers history is, unfortunately, purely a reaction to the plastic paddy, Irish republican, IRA supporting, Catholic, anti-British, anti monarchy of the other side of Glasgow. A lot of Rangers fans seem to define themselves by being as opposite as they can: staunch British, royalist, supporter of the Orange Order and maybe the UDA, proddy, pope hater, and unionist.

The religious thing has always been there. The manks coming into creation started that one. But to my memory, when I was younger there were many many more saltires at Ibrox. The bother in N.Ireland seems to have changed everything and this is where we've ended up now.

I support a football team. My politics are my own business. However there's a great percentage of our support who don't see it the same way.

I did say many and I know it's not all. It's not really a bad thing per se for me, but I'm trying to be consistent. For me, what is really bad how offended the Tims are by the flag.

I think a lot of so called Rangers history is, unfortunately, purely a reaction to the plastic paddy, Irish republican, IRA supporting, Catholic, anti-British, anti monarchy of the other side of Glasgow. A lot of Rangers fans seem to define themselves by being as opposite as they can: staunch British, royalist, supporter of the Orange Order and maybe the UDA, proddy, pope hater, and unionist.

But in the end you are hijacking a flag as yours and only yours, and therefore alienating supporters of other clubs to it (whichever flag you use). And that's just not very unifying for a unionist.

Sorry, but I simply cannot agree with that cal. When did Rangers "hijack" the UJ as "ours and only ours" ? We have never prevented any other club, nor tried to, use the UJ . The alienation problem is of the supporters of the other clubs surely - they are the ones who are taking exception to it and being offended by it - it isn't alienation until and unless the originating club attempts to prevent you from using the flag. We have never tried to prevent Celtic from using the UJ and being Scottish AND British.

Agreed on first post - I actually find it mildly amusing that the Tims live in Scotland (part of the Union), eulogise over Ireland, and seem to despise the UJ.

The one thing that really amazed me when I was a kid was going to the Glitterdome and seeing them flying a green saltire celebrating a league win. I started football in the early 60's and just assumed every team would fly the Scottish flag with the year they won the league thereon.

The Union Jack is the British National flag. Contrary to what some of a nationalist persuasion will tell you, you can fly it anywhere. It flys with pride over Ibrox stadium. Our club is and always will be proud of its British heritage.

On a separate note, I only found out yesterday that the National Anthem of Great Britain is not taught in primary schools. It’s positively avoided. However, FOS on the other hand is positively encouraged! I wonder who’s idea that was?...........

Edited by cooponthewing

It was a Saltire with Yes written across it. So it represents 45% of Scotland, rather than Scotland.

And you can't wave a Union Jack at Ibrox as Ibrox isn't a boat. It's the Union Flag you'd be waving.

I love a bit of banter at the football and welcome it from opposition fans. When I go to Ibrox, I'm usually in GF2 and often enjoy the wind-ups with opposition fans.

British Flag Protocol

The Union Flag

The national flag of the United Kingdom, the Crown Dependencies and Overseas Territories is the Union Flag, which may also be called the Union Jack.[1] The first Union Flag was created in 1606 and combined the flags of England and Scotland. The present Union Flag dates from 1801 when St. Patrick’s Cross was added to represent Ireland. It then became possible to display the flag upside down. There is no Flag Act in UK law and the Union Flag is the national flag by long established custom and practice, rather than by statute.

It is now acceptable to call the union flag the union Jack.

Never ceases to amaze just how many can't see the Saltire in the Union Flag.

Mate, take a look at the old England football matches. The 66 world cup final is a good example.

The English didn't know they had a flag of their own. They waved the union flag.

Me and tens of thousands of Rangers/Scotland fans who attended Wembley in 65, 67 and thereafter wouldn't have dreamed of taking a union flag with us .

Nowadays there is an active movement in England to promote their own flag. And more power to their elbows say I.