Rangers fans brand Aberdeen fan forum members “dregs of society”

It's hardly the same.

I didn't say it was exactly the same but I said we aren't always whiter than white, so you seem to be arguing that it was completely fine.

In the binary question of was in very bad taste and unfunny, then both are exactly the same. I can't see how you think one is fine and the other isn't - or is it just about your opinion of who the joke is against?

BTW the Spanish police "joke" was in the context of trouble in the minute silence for the fallen, and you still think it's fine? I think it was distasteful on one level and disrespectful on another.

Franco hasn't been in power for 40 years.

My wife is foreign and I'm always ribbing her about it. Thankfully, like me, she can take a joke.

She also knows I can't stand Aberdeen FC or their betamax loving fans.

Are you saying Rangers fans can't take a joke about former players?

If you're at a Frankie Boyle gig then you've pretty much signed up to that style of humour for the night, among friends and families it's all private, a football forum is a different medium - and this is a thread about when they go too far.

I made the humorous comment about Spanish police and won't apologise for it.

Yes, it's the modern way to judge yourself by much more lenient standards than you do for others.

In the context of a minutes silence for the fallen who died to try to prevent us from have that kind of police, it was incredibly distasteful in my eyes. As I said, I might be more sensitive to it due to a Catalan girlfriend who didn't just see the police brutality as just being on the telly in some insignificant, far away place.

I'm surprised you just don't get it.

If you're upset by a daft comment (slagging Partick Thistle fans) on a football forum, I suggest you go to the ballet or polo instead.

Seems to me you're getting a bit precious about some justified criticism.

This thread is all about daft comments on another forum, as are other threads where we point out the crap from Celtic fans and others. And you're telling those of us who aren't impressed by it, we can't be football fans?

I remember when we all had thick skins.

Like you have in the first paragraph of your own post? I remember when a having a brass neck was considered a bad thing.

Edited by calscot

BTW the Spanish police "joke" was in the context of trouble in the minute silence for the fallen, and you still think it's fine? I think it was distasteful on one level and disrespectful on another.

That's a blatant lie! The joke was made in relation to Thistle fans waving Yes/Catalan flags at Ibrox and had nothing to do with a minute's silence.

Poor attempt to justify your over-sensitivity.

That's a blatant lie! The joke was made in relation to Thistle fans waving Yes/Catalan flags at Ibrox and had nothing to do with a minute's silence.

Poor attempt to justify your over-sensitivity.

They were flying the flags during the minute silence which was why it was considered inappropriate and they were thus thrown out. How has that got nothing to do with the minutes silence?

Without the minute silence, what was the problem with the flags except that they were obviously politically motivated at a football match?

Judging by the tone of your post, I don't think I'm the over-sensitive one here...

I've no idea if the Catalan/Yes flags were flown during the minutes silence (I don't think so but I wasn't really looking) however those flying them weren't thrown out along with the flags until much later in the game.

I've no idea if the Catalan/Yes flags were flown during the minutes silence (I don't think so but I wasn't really looking) however those flying them weren't thrown out along with the flags until much later in the game.

Sorry, I wasn't there but that was the impression I got from listening to the Heart and Hand podcast which used that to justify them being thrown out.

To be honest I don't know what the fuss is about them then, and why it would be amusing to think about the Spanish beating them up, unless of course they did something else that I don't know about.

Edited by calscot