Ronald's being frank

Ex-Rangers star Frank de Boer would ‘find it very difficult to say no’ to the Ibrox job says twin brother Ronald

Former Barcelona defender Frank has been out of work since being sacked by Crystal Palace in September after just 77 days in the hotseat

By Ryan McDonald

RONALD DE BOER says twin brother Frank would ‘find it very difficult to say no’ to Rangers.

Gers are on the hunt for a new manager after Pedro Caixinha was sacked last month.

Twin brothers Ronald and Frank De Boer played together at Rangers

SunSport understands Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes is the No1 target for Ibrox chiefs, although no contact has been made.

But ex-Light Blues hero De Boer reckons bro Frank – who was sacked by Crystal Palace after just 77 days in the hotseat – would welcome an approach.

He told BBC Scotland: “The Dutch team will be one of Frank’s things ‘to do,’ but if a big club came knocking on the door that would be very difficult to say no to.

“It would be the same with Rangers, he would think about it for sure, he had a great time there although it was a short spell.

Frank de Boer was sacked by Crystal Palace in September

“I don’t know. Rangers is a challenge, it’s a helluva task as we have seen over the last few years that there is no stopping Celtic, so it is a challenge.

“But, I don’t know if he is, at this moment, ready to take that challenge.”

SCOTLAND VS HOLLAND: BET £10 WITH SUN BETS AND GET A FREE £30 BET

Frank had a six-month stint at Ibrox towards the end of his illustrious playing career back in 2004.

The 47-year-old then helped guide Holland to the 2010 World Cup Final as assistant boss and then became the first Dutch manager to win four straight Eredivise titles with Ajax.

But the former Barcelona defender has found life difficult since leaving Amsterdam after he was relieved of his duties as Inter Milan boss after just 85 days before his ill-fated spell in the Premier League with Palace.

We told earlier this week how Holland boss and ex-Gers gaffer Dick Advocaat backed McInnes to take charge at Ibrox.

The 70-year-old – who is weighing up retirement – reckons his former midfielder has all the qualities to replace Caixinha.

Advocaat said: “It’s a long time since I was at Rangers, so it’s difficult for me to say definitely yes in terms of who should be the next manager.

Dick Advocaat has backed his former Rangers midfielder for the job

“But Derek’s done very well at Aberdeen.

“I hope and believe he has what it takes to be their manager. He’s the right age, so why not?”

I think Rangers would be a great job for FdB. I am not sure FdB would make a great job of Rangers. It would certainly be a more exciting choice than has been mentioned until now. Playing from the back would be his first call.

I think this is the issue we (and the board) have.

Do we go with the unexciting and outwardly bland McInnes? Or is someone like de Boer, Bilic or Koeman worth throwing money at despite their recent medicore managerial efforts?

I think this is the issue we (and the board) have.

Do we go with the unexciting and outwardly bland McInnes? Or is someone like de Boer, Bilic or Koeman worth throwing money at despite their recent medicore managerial efforts?

I think if it wasn't for the ten in a row thing (no matter how flawed that would be), then gambling would almost certainly be the way. Until we're on even financial terms, then safe is most likely going to get us a safe second place. You rarely punch above your weight with safe.

If you gamble it can pay off and you get a bargain. It could be argued that both Laudrup and Gazza were gambles to an extent, rather than the safe choice; however, we've plenty of counter examples to rue over.

For me, even if FdB (or equivalent) is not the success we'd like, I struggle to imagine even then, that he would be significantly less successful that McInnes's CV would suggest. Purely my speculative opinion: against Rogers, I think the latter at his best might get us a close second and the former at his worst might get us a distant second place. But it's still second...

However, with the Dutchman, there is the excitement and anticipation of what he could be at his best - as well as stuff like the type of player he could entice and keep the respect of...

Also, I'm pretty sure which of the two the Tims would prefer us employ...

He only had 5 games at Palace but had 262 at Ajax winning 4 titles in a row.

As I said I agree his stock has dropped but I'm not going to fully judge him on 5 games... (or 19 if you count Inter)

It kind of reminds me of the joke about the guy who for decades did wonderful stuff for his village - but if you shag one sheep...

Anyway, in our position, to get a manager who has won a lot for a top club, then we need him to have had a bit of a nightmare afterwards.

The nearest McInnes has been to win a lot, is feeding his dog. (Couldn't resist).

Nothing really against McInnes but he does seem like a dull choice with not much hope for winning much more than a bunch of runners up medals, which I do realise would be a step up at the moment.

De Boer's experience at Palace suggests he could be a Warburton mark 2. Nice football but no plan B.

I'm not sure that he's what we need right now.

To be fair he only got about 6 games. The mistake he made was thinking he could get hump it farmers to be passing game football players. With Inter he came against the same as PLG an older squad not willing to accept change.

I've no idea why Palace appointed him though, it didn't make sense whatsoever given the position they were in with the players they have. FdB could have been a great appointment for us a few years ago, could have been an ideal project for him to get us up through the divisions with a young group of players playing the way he wanted.

I still think it will be McInnes - he's the safe option in many ways and I think that's what will swing it for the Board.

To be fair he only got about 6 games. The mistake he made was thinking he could get hump it farmers to be passing game football players. With Inter he came against the same as PLG an older squad not willing to accept change.
That backs up my point.