Rangers sold Barrie McKay to Nottingham Forest on the cheap, says winger's agent

Taken from FF

Rangers sold Barrie McKay to Nottingham Forest on the cheap, says winger's agent

McKay's agent slams former Gers boss Pedro Caixinha for undervaluing the star

Barrie McKay has been nothing short of a sensation at Nottingham Forestsince his arrival from Rangers in the summer.

The creative winger has scored four times and has seven assists to his name following his £500,000 move from Ibrox, and the deal continues to cause some consternation north of the border.

McKay’s agent Grant Smith has taken aim at former Gers boss Pedro Caixinha, who he accuses of selling the 22-year-old on the cheap, having frozen him out of action before being sacked at the end of October.

'We can beat anyone playing like that' - Barrie McKay vows Nottingham Forest will come out flying after the international break

Smith admits he was surprised that Rangers were happy to let McKay move to Nottingham for less than £1 million, especially given the fact the Reds had just sold Britt Assombalonga to Middlesbrough for a club-record £15 million.

“I know there’s some who’ll think, 'He should want to play for free' but at the end of the day he was an asset – he was Rangers’ asset,” Smith said.

"Barrie was their main asset because the rest were older. OK, you might have got your money back on some of them but Barrie was someone who was going to make them real money.”

Last January, McKay had been linked with a £6 million move to German outfit Red Bull Leipzig and Smith believes Rangers’ tactics with Forest played right into the Championship club’s hands.

"Forest were interested and they made £15 million on a player. Then Pedro decided not to involve him.

'I want to get promotion AND back into the Scotland squad' - Nottingham Forest's Barrie McKay sets ambitious double target

“Yeah, he ostracised him.

"If I’m in charge of Rangers at that time, I’m asking 'What are you doing?' But what’s Rangers’ leverage (in negotiations)?

"They told them they didn’t want Barrie. If you tell a buyer you want this player to stay – that’s your leverage.

"Soon as you put him with the youth team then you don’t have any leverage,” he told the Daily Record.

McKay’s arrival was part of a double move from Scotland, with Forest also securing Jason Cummings from Hibernian and given Mark Warburton’s knowledge of McKay from the pair’s time together at Ibrox, Smith believes the Reds would have paid more to secure the winger’s services, had Rangers pushed them.

"Forest would have paid a lot more. Easily. Double at least. Mark knew him, Davie Weir knew him and they knew the situation. Rangers took their poker hand away from themselves.”

After banishing McKay to the reserves after raising concerns over McKay’s intention not to sign a new deal in Glasgow, his agent admits he was less than impressed with Caixinha’s handling of his client.

Could a play-off push see Nottingham Forest get their HIGHEST average attendance for more than 20 years?

“I mean, some of the stuff Pedro said to him...

"He was contradicting himself all the time. One minute saying he was the best player in Scotland, the next he was putting him with the youths.

"Someone doing the job of that size should have been doing better. He cost Rangers a lot of money."

McKay was also keen to stay with the Scottish giants, according to Smith, who told the Fitba podcast that meetings with the club had a very different outcome.

"I keep hearing and reading Barrie was desperate to go. He must have had three or four meetings to say, 'I’m happy to stay',” he said.

"I was in that office four times before Mark Allen came in. And they were saying, 'we’re thinking of this but...'

"The good thing for Rangers now is they have this director of football in because he knows the game. I dealt with Mark a few times when we were leaving and it was spot-on."

Another of Pedro's ckuf-ups

McKay played poorly all last season. He clearly wanted away from Ibrox. This was the received wisdom, unchallenged by McKay and his agent. Tales of a £6M price tag are nonsense.

I doubt that Pedro Caixinha handled the sale negotiations.

Actually, I am fed up hearing about the little shit.

Pedro was full of these contradictions. And I'm not sure that the language barrier quite explains it.

Particularly disappointing to see that a) Barrie could well have stayed had he been made the right offer; and b) that we undersold him quite significantly. Perhaps even as much as to pay McInnes' severance....

McKay played poorly all last season. He clearly wanted away from Ibrox. This was the received wisdom, unchallenged by McKay and his agent. Tales of a £6M price tag are nonsense.

I doubt that Pedro Caixinha handled the sale negotiations.

Actually, I am fed up hearing about the little shit.

Yes, but its pretty clear that any possibility of him staying was undermined by Pedro.

Barrie strikes me as the kind of guy that needs an arm round the shoulder. Pedro seemed to provide that only when the mood took him. And there's plenty of evidence of that in terms of how he dealt with other players.

Yes, but its pretty clear that any possibility of him staying was undermined by Pedro.

Barrie strikes me as the kind of guy that needs an arm round the shoulder. Pedro seemed to provide that only when the mood took him. And there's plenty of evidence of that in terms of how he dealt with other players.

A player refusing to sign a new contract does not allow a club to negotiate disposal to another club from a position of strength. Aye, there's the rub: his contract was running down, and was not likely to be renewed.

A player refusing to sign a new contract does not allow a club to negotiate disposal to another club from a position of strength. Aye, there's the rub: his contract was running down, and was not likely to be renewed.

That's certainly true. I suppose we could have told him to sit and stew, as Hearts did with Walker. But he clearly wanted away

There was no bigger contradiction than Barrie himself , one moment unplayable the next I wouldnt have let him near the first team.

Simply another prime example of modern footballers who have an exceptionally high opinion of themselves based on nothing than their egos being constantly massaged , wish him all the best but hes gone , move on Barrie