Ongoing new manager discussion and speculation

I actually thought PC had no idea what style he wanted and neither did the players. I actually think that was his downfall that he didn't have a scooby what way to play.

Putting your dislike for PC aside, is that what you really thought? I realise the results were not what we hoped, but I didn't think there was any doubt that he stamped his style all over the team. We were direct, and quickly transitioned from defence to attack. We switched the ball quickly from one side to the other and played a high pressure game without the ball. It's the sort of football I like and reminded me of Dortmund when they were flying high a few years ago. I just wish he had managed to get more grit and determination (and perhaps quality) into the team too, because in my opinion that was his downfall. They just didn't show it often enough. That was what I saw, but I think we all know how differently we can all see a player and a game.

Putting your dislike for PC aside, is that what you really thought? I realise the results were not what we hoped, but I didn't think there was any doubt that he stamped his style all over the team. We were direct, and quickly transitioned from defence to attack. We switched the ball quickly from one side to the other and played a high pressure game without the ball. It's the sort of football I like and reminded me of Dortmund when they were flying high a few years ago. I just wish he had managed to get more grit and determination (and perhaps quality) into the team too, because in my opinion that was his downfall. They just didn't show it often enough. That was what I saw, but I think we all know how differently we can all see a player and a game.

He did try to play the high press at times but I think he saw pretty quick he did not have the players for it and we ended up caught in no man's land with a chaotic sometimes well sometimes not system . I also ask about our fitness as we could only play 45 minutes. Warburton played far more the high press and ball retention but he never had players with a cutting edge. I think it a shame Warbuton never improved the team as I much preferred his system. Rogers has Celtic playing that way with better players. The question with that one is did Warburton not want to buy players or did King turn off his money tap?

Looks as if McInnes is appointed, for some, his 'honeymoon period' might be over before it starts.

I can get that some/many may prefer X to Y or a certain type or profile of manager, that will always happen........ but I think there is a lack of realism being employed by some regarding where we currently are as a club and the relative limitations that this entails.

Aslong as expectation levels far outweigh what the football club can realistically hope to deliver, then long managerial appointment threads will crop up every year or so.

The club should make an effort to paint an accurate picture wrt timescale and expectations for what seems to be already determined as a 3 year contract and give whoever the new manager is, the support necessary to fulfill them.

Looks as if McInnes is appointed, for some, his 'honeymoon period' might be over before it starts.

I can get that some/many may prefer X to Y or a certain type or profile of manager, that will always happen........ but I think there is a lack of realism being employed by some regarding where we currently are as a club and the relative limitations that this entails.

Aslong as expectation levels far outweigh what the football club can realistically hope to deliver, then long managerial appointment threads will crop up every year or so.

The club should make an effort to paint an accurate picture wrt timescale and expectations for what seems to be already determined as a 3 year contract and give whoever the new manager is, the support necessary to fulfill them.

Think that's all fair buster but would add that too many are not accounting for the consequences of appointing Mccinnes.

How can you build a club as we are doing with a manager who has zero style, zero ambition, and zero belief he can win the league? He has already clearly stated he cannot be expected to compete against clubs with bigger budgets? How is this safe? Is it safe to say we cannot compete?

Mccinnes isn't safe hands. I have absolutely no idea why people keep saying this. It's not safe to bore customers and build a club on mediocrity, its not safe to tell players you should get beat today as our opponents have more money,especially when the manager has already slagged our fans beliefs and expectations, telling us the most successful domestic club in history ,we are wrong.

Is it not dangerous to forcefully change a mentality that has seen success for 140 odd years? Is it not dangerous to build mediocrity as our foundations? His teams have zero style and literally zero hope of attaining any decent level.

Keep the money and let the youth coaches run the first team and atleast let youth and first team link up. No point hiding behind mccinnes, if this is our reality we should face up to it not waste money trying to disguise our position by wasting millions on a complete nobody like mccinnes, while kidding on the club is building.

If it's mccinnes then we should shut the youth set up and get rid of the dof. Save ourselves millions a season.Absolutely pointless having either with mccinnes as manager. His tactics will not be utilised throughout the club as is done now and he will not use or enhance the youth players we have.Nothing highlights how disjointed and poorly run the club is than seeing mccinnes as our top target. More like admitting we are done and the future is not bright.

Think that's all fair buster but would add that too many are not accounting for the consequences of appointing Mccinnes.

How can you build a club as we are doing with a manager who has zero style, zero ambition, and zero belief he can win the league? He has already clearly stated he cannot be expected to compete against clubs with bigger budgets? How is this safe? Is it safe to say we cannot compete?

Mccinnes isn't safe hands. I have absolutely no idea why people keep saying this. It's not safe to bore customers and build a club on mediocrity, its not safe to tell players you should get beat today as our opponents have more money,especially when the manager has already slagged our fans beliefs and expectations, telling us the most successful domestic club in history ,we are wrong.

Is it not dangerous to forcefully change a mentality that has seen success for 140 odd years? Is it not dangerous to build mediocrity as our foundations? His teams have zero style and literally zero hope of attaining any decent level.

Keep the money and let the youth coaches run the first team and atleast let youth and first team link up. No point hiding behind mccinnes, if this is our reality we should face up to it not waste money trying to disguise our position by wasting millions on a complete nobody like mccinnes, while kidding on the club is building.

If it's mccinnes then we should shut the youth set up and get rid of the dof. Save ourselves millions a season.Absolutely pointless having either with mccinnes as manager. His tactics will not be utilised throughout the club as is done now and he will not use or enhance the youth players we have.Nothing highlights how disjointed and poorly run the club is than seeing mccinnes as our top target. More like admitting we are done and the future is not bright.

He said he couldnt beat celtc.

Its a reasonable enough statement given we cant even do it.

Theres also a big difference between aberdeens budget and ours.

He bought 1 player in his time there and spends a 10th of what they do on wages.

I think people are over playing a comment designed to protect his players after their first defeat in the league.

I agree that the expectations of the support need to be managed carefully, but in terms of the manager I don't think that's the issue. I think it's fair to characterise two camps (if not more) in the forum. The first sees McInnes as the safe pair of hands over the next 3 years, and someone who can get us competing consistently again. The other camp wants a more exciting prospect. PC and MW were such prospects because they brought something new to the club. I personally wish we had stuck with PC for longer because I really felt we were a couple of transfer windows away from having something special. When PC left, I hoped the club would continue with this type of experiment. For me (and I appreciate this is not so for many others), I'd rather take the risk of failure rather than the almost certainty of mediocrity. As I said McInnes to me seems like a solid manager, but not one whose football I enjoy watching. Despite PC's and MW's results, I really enjoyed watching the different styles of football we played under them.

As for the honeymoon period you refer to, I think many people proved with PC that we can be patient and give a manager time. For some however, it appears the Rangers manager doesn't get the support if he has a few defeats. With regards to those people, I agree with you, there is a lack of appreciation as to where we are right now.

Each individual can think and opine for themselves but the club have a duty of care and need to employ realism rather than a mentality that can't be backed up at this present juncture.

They need to look for a way of addressing the gap and to give any structure a chance of growing, it needs a solid foundation.

If there were circumstances and abundant finance that could attract a top manager and overhaul the squad with real quality in mind, then your apparent timescale regards expectation might be addressed, but there isn't.

I agree that the expectations of the support need to be managed carefully, but in terms of the manager I don't think that's the issue. I think it's fair to characterise two camps (if not more) in the forum. The first sees McInnes as the safe pair of hands over the next 3 years, and someone who can get us competing consistently again. The other camp wants a more exciting prospect. PC and MW were such prospects because they brought something new to the club. I personally wish we had stuck with PC for longer because I really felt we were a couple of transfer windows away from having something special. When PC left, I hoped the club would continue with this type of experiment. For me (and I appreciate this is not so for many others), I'd rather take the risk of failure rather than the almost certainty of mediocrity. As I said McInnes to me seems like a solid manager, but not one whose football I enjoy watching. Despite PC's and MW's results, I really enjoyed watching the different styles of football we played under them.

As for the honeymoon period you refer to, I think many people proved with PC that we can be patient and give a manager time. For some however, it appears the Rangers manager doesn't get the support if he has a few defeats. With regards to those people, I agree with you, there is a lack of appreciation as to where we are right now.

Re. MW and PC, don't you sink your own argument ?

You may prefer the risk of failure, but because of circumstances and the probabilities, those on the board can't go down that path.

Pedro Caixinha was in the wrong movie and the board were more or less chasing their loses when they bankrolled him in the summer. That isn't to say he was a bad manager..... or that some of our players were/are right in their attitudes/actions..........or that parts of the media weren't using him as a punchbag........but it's just pretty much how it was.....and for that matter, doesn't refect well on the Scottish game.

Edited by buster.

Not sure whether it is required to go all up in arms about McInnes just yet. So far, he hasn't been appointed and once that should indeed take place, it remains to be seen how he stamps his mark on this current football team. As with PC, we'd probably need a few months to see how he (or any other new manager) handles the job.