[FT] Partick Thistle 2 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 19; Dorrans 77)

Apologies in advance for scaring the younger generation away from the club by not pretending Pena is Messi.

That pretty much was our first choice 11 that started on Friday, possibly Kranjcar might have started instead of Windass but that apart that's our current first choice side. Here are my concerns currently. There's a lack of guile in the side. Morelos, Windass and Dorans can beat a man or produce a bit of magic, but no one else can. Candeias can get a cross in but he's not going to dribble past a full back so teams can double up on him and his threat is negated. Kranjcar can produce something but I've still got concerns over his fitness.

There's a lack of fight. Both mentally and physically. There's no point moaning about refs, we need to deal with the hand we've currently got. Teams see us as a side that can be intimidated physically and I think they might be right. Until we can not only match that but, when required, put down a 'don't mess' marker on the pitch, we're going to see more sides try this.

I'm concerned about fitness levels. We start matches at a great tempo but you can almost set your watch at us slacking off at around 20 minutes and our second half performances, Dundee aside, always see the opposition side on top for large spells. This, I assume, isn't tactical, so is it fitness or concentration? Whatever it is it's going to contribute to more dropped points throughout the season.

Strength in depth. Our bench is weak. For example where are goals going to come from if Morelos misses a few games? Miller will contribute some but he looks like he needs a break currently and Herrera doesn't look like a 20 goals a season player. We've cover in centre midfield but not wide. Lose either Candeias or Windass and we're playing inexperienced teenagers or a more experienced player out of position. At full back Declan John, on one appearance, didn't look like a significant improvement on Hodson, he might prove to be better than Wallace and Tav given time, but his career to date doesn't suggest that.

We're not lucky. It's a great intangible but every side needs it and we don't seem to have it. We're not getting any 'good' luck, the deflection off Alves could have gone anywhere, and there's been a number of things that have gone against us in the last 6 months that could have been different.

Morelos looks better every week, his strength and power are a joy to watch and he's got a real eye for goal. He got some rough treatment against Thistle and he'll get more in the coming weeks, it'll be interesting to see how his temperament holds up, he looks like he can handle himself, but he's young and inexperienced and hopefully someone at the club is working with him on that. Scottish defenders now know him and how he plays, they'll be probing him for weaknesses as he's our player to watch.

For all that Thistle are, I think, a better side than Ross County or Dundee. They've got a decent manager and an experienced side with goals in it. Them being in the top six again this season wouldn't be a big surprise to me despite their start.

Last point on Friday night. Some of our support are going to get the club into trouble again with some of their songs. Particularly if we do start to improve on the park expect the focus for many to switch to our behaviour off it and with the Billy Boys and particularly When I Was Young getting a regular airing now it is only a matter of time before those who hate us make hay with it. It's beyond stupid and if anyone has any influence over those who lead the singing a quiet word will save us a lot of grief and scrutiny in the future.

Apologies in advance for scaring the younger generation away from the club by not pretending Pena is Messi.

That pretty much was our first choice 11 that started on Friday, possibly Kranjcar might have started instead of Windass but that apart that's our current first choice side. Here are my concerns currently. There's a lack of guile in the side. Morelos, Windass and Dorans can beat a man or produce a bit of magic, but no one else can. Candeias can get a cross in but he's not going to dribble past a full back so teams can double up on him and his threat is negated. Kranjcar can produce something but I've still got concerns over his fitness.

There's a lack of fight. Both mentally and physically. There's no point moaning about refs, we need to deal with the hand we've currently got. Teams see us as a side that can be intimidated physically and I think they might be right. Until we can not only match that but, when required, put down a 'don't mess' marker on the pitch, we're going to see more sides try this.

I'm concerned about fitness levels. We start matches at a great tempo but you can almost set your watch at us slacking off at around 20 minutes and our second half performances, Dundee aside, always see the opposition side on top for large spells. This, I assume, isn't tactical, so is it fitness or concentration? Whatever it is it's going to contribute to more dropped points throughout the season.

Strength in depth. Our bench is weak. For example where are goals going to come from if Morelos misses a few games? Miller will contribute some but he looks like he needs a break currently and Herrera doesn't look like a 20 goals a season player. We've cover in centre midfield but not wide. Lose either Candeias or Windass and we're playing inexperienced teenagers or a more experienced player out of position. At full back Declan John, on one appearance, didn't look like a significant improvement on Hodson, he might prove to be better than Wallace and Tav given time, but his career to date doesn't suggest that.

We're not lucky. It's a great intangible but every side needs it and we don't seem to have it. We're not getting any 'good' luck, the deflection off Alves could have gone anywhere, and there's been a number of things that have gone against us in the last 6 months that could have been different.

Morelos looks better every week, his strength and power are a joy to watch and he's got a real eye for goal. He got some rough treatment against Thistle and he'll get more in the coming weeks, it'll be interesting to see how his temperament holds up, he looks like he can handle himself, but he's young and inexperienced and hopefully someone at the club is working with him on that. Scottish defenders now know him and how he plays, they'll be probing him for weaknesses as he's our player to watch.

For all that Thistle are, I think, a better side than Ross County or Dundee. They've got a decent manager and an experienced side with goals in it. Them being in the top six again this season wouldn't be a big surprise to me despite their start.

Last point on Friday night. Some of our support are going to get the club into trouble again with some of their songs. Particularly if we do start to improve on the park expect the focus for many to switch to our behaviour off it and with the Billy Boys and particularly When I Was Young getting a regular airing now it is only a matter of time before those who hate us make hay with it. It's beyond stupid and if anyone has any influence over those who lead the singing a quiet word will save us a lot of grief and scrutiny in the future.

personally think the expected starting 11 will include pena and herrera for miller and windass Edited by trublusince1982

Miller has done very little this season. Players should primarily be picked on form and on that basis, Miller should be nowhere near the first eleven.

I'd play Rossiter and Jack as DMs against Celtic and have Dorrans up ahead of them, with Candeias and anyone but Windass on the wings and Morelos up front. A five man midfield is the only way we can keep the score down.

Edited by Gonzo79

A couple of further points on Friday;

Why didnt Nico start? When you consider we have a potential 2 hour cup tie on Tuesday before the OF game, you would think Nico would play the league game, sit out the cup tie, and be ready for the bheasts. Now that Windass failed (again) and Nico will come back in on Tuesday, that is not the best planning for the game that his job may be resting on.

Surely now Herrera & Pena must start the game on Tuesday. They are the two big money signings of the last window and we are now well into the season and they aren't ready? Pena looks to me as if there is some talent there, but he is going to need game time to get to know his teammates. It looks like he wants to link up with quick 1-2's and short passes, and if you dont know where your teammates are going to be then everything breaks down. Also his teammates need to support these runs and not stand watching as I have witnessed them do. Herrera is a different type of striker, but Morelos needs a partner and Miller is not it, so it figures that Herrera must be given a chance to build a partnership with Morelos.

Windass & Miller have had plenty of chances and have failed. time to ditch them both and try other options. Anything less is pure stubbornness and bad management, and I thought we had seen enough of that with our last 2 managers.

I expect to comfortably beat Partick at home in the cup but would rather have had the 3 points and lose this and I think there may be a different starting 11 with an eye on next week. I also expect Morelos to score again since it's unlikely they will come and put 10 men behind the ball giving him more space to operate in.