Frank de Boer Bagged by Palace

Crystal Palace expected to turn to Roy Hodgson after sacking Frank de Boer

• Dutchman dismissed after four defeats in four Premier League matches

• Hodgson likely to take over with Sam Allardyce resistant over return

Dominic Fifield

@domfifield

Monday 11 September 2017 11.19 BST Last modified on Monday 11 September 2017 11.46 BST

Roy Hodgson is expected to be appointed as Crystal Palace’s manager to replace Frank de Boer, who has been sacked 10 weeks after he replaced Sam Allardyce at Selhurst Park.

De Boer’s dismissal comes after he suffered four defeats from his four Premier League matches against Huddersfield, Liverpool, Swansea and Burnley, in which Palace failed to score a goal. They are the first team in 93 years to have begun a top-flight season in such a fashion.

Palace have made attempts to persuade Allardyce to come back but the former England manager has been resistant, making Hodgson the likeliest candidate to take over.

Hodgson has been out of work since he quit the England job following a humiliating defeat by Iceland at Euro 2016. He is greatly enthused by the idea of returning to Palace, where he was a youth-team player.

Hodgson’s erstwhile No2 Ray Lewington was on Palace coaching staff for three years in the mid-1990s and will presumably accompany the 70-year-old if the appointment is confirmed.

De Boer’s reign is the shortest in the top flight of the Premier League era. Les Reed had seven games in charge of Charlton in 2006.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/11/crystal-palace-sack-frank-de-boer-roy-hodgson-sam-allardyce

Edited by Uilleam

I said on the Premier League thread that I thought Palace were deserving of more against Burnley - what can you do when Dann misses a header from 2 yards!?

FdB's style of football was always going to be difficult to implement on this group; he needed more time.

His reputation is probably damaged, but the caveat is that both his jobs post Ajax were tricky: Inter were a basket case, and Palace just didn't suit his style and so needed more time.

I'm glad we didn't go for him; I wasn't certain he was as good as his Ajax record suggested.

I said on the Premier League thread that I thought Palace were deserving of more against Burnley - what can you do when Dann misses a header from 2 yards!?

FdB's style of football was always going to be difficult to implement on this group; he needed more time.

His reputation is probably damaged, but the caveat is that both his jobs post Ajax were tricky: Inter were a basket case, and Palace just didn't suit his style and so needed more time.

I'm glad we didn't go for him; I wasn't certain he was as good as his Ajax record suggested.

Which is why I think its all the more weird. A club like Crystal Palace shouldn't be making what, on paper, is a pretty ambitious appointment from the point of view of the guy's background and the style of play he would bring to the club.if they're not prepared to give him the time to implement such a big set of changes from a player, tactical and set up point of view.

Which points me back to there being something odd about it all. A clash of personalities in the boardoom, players not trusting him or taking to his style (or not getting it quick enough)...

And yes, 4 games and 4 defeats is poor. And even a club like Palace would expect to get at least 2 or 3 points, but say they went on and won their next two games they'd likely be comfortably ahead of West Ham and Bournemouth who are also on nil points, and probably also the likes of Leicester who are on just 3.

We've seen countless times that all it takes a goal or another spark for a team to suddenly click into gear.

Edited by stewarty

Whilst you can understand sacking a manager that is without any points on the board there are a couple of things at play here...

I watched the game yesterday and they bossed the game but just couldn't find the net. They also handed Burnley their goal with one of the worst passbacks you will see all season.

4 games is also nowhere near enough time to instill in your team the ethos you have as a coach. A manager can't legislate for a horror backpass - but his team still were the better team, against a Burnley team who last season were very difficult to overcome at home.

FdB's reputation will be dented but it seems the footballing world as a whole are apoplectic about the sacking just 4 games into the season - so he will probably find another job fairly soon. That sacking will cost Palace a LOT of money I would think.

Going back to the thread when appointed I said it was the wrong move for FdB, he would be more suited to a club like Southampton. Palace are an ugly club which wasnt a match at all for FdB.

His stock will be knocked now due to this and Inter but there is a good manager there for the right club.