Mayweather v McGregor

I don't know if the boxing authorities are adding that to his record but I too feel it's not a fair way to claim to have beaten the record of Rocky Marciano. Despite all his bluster at the end about having been in it early on McGregor was never in this fight and it was always only a matter of time.

All he did in those early rounds was tippy tappy away perhaps accumulating points but doing absolutely nothing to Mayweather who was simply letting him punch himself out and that didn't take long. By the end of the 4th McGregor was already breathing heavily sitting on his stool and at that point I knew it was already basically over and he would simply be worn down.

And again despite his complaints about the referee stopping it too early the referee executed a perfectly timed stoppage before some serious damage was done to a man who by that point was totally incapable of defending himself. He could barely stand far less fight.

Edited by JFK-1

Presumably, the Nevada Boxing Commission (or whatever body) authorities sanctioned the contest, therefore, although far from his greatest fight, it must count on his record.

After all, Marciano's record of 49 - 0 started with him hammering a few club fighters and journeymen -as did all of the Greats, of course- and these are counted.

The bout went as most people thought: CMcG attacking from the 1st bell, FM, having a rep as a slow starter, and with 2 years (all but a few days) of ring rust; CMcG finding that

he did not have the punching power to trouble a mainstream boxer, trained and developed over years to absorb punishment; FM coming back into it and taking control, as CMcG tired, and became increasingly unable to trouble FM. It was 6-3, or 7 -2 going into the 10th, and CMcG's pluck , although commendable, was ill served by his technical shortcomings, and stamina. CMcG could, really, have no complaint about the stoppage.

Agreed, he was lucky to survive the 9th and when he did I knew it would end in the 10th.
I had bet 8th amd 9th too. Was screaming at him in the 9th to finish it.. Floyd finished it when he wanted too. Simple.

It does count on his record btw as it was sanctioned by boxing commision amd fought to proper boxing rules.(bar the weird slaps McGregor was doing lol)

I had bet 8th amd 9th too. Was screaming at him in the 9th to finish it.. Floyd finished it when he wanted too. Simple.

It does count on his record btw as it was sanctioned by boxing commision amd fought to proper boxing rules.(bar the weird slaps McGregor was doing lol)

Unlucky, just a minute more in the 9th and he would have put him away or the ref stopped it. By the end of the 4th McGregor was already gasping for breath sitting on his stool and it was just a countdown from that stage onwards.

Im a bit surprised mayweather gets to add this to his fight record

It was a bout under the Queensberry rules, therefore he should have it added to his fight record. It was a boxing bout therefore it makes sense. The fact that a non-boxer can come in and command the highest PPV ever (as it looks like being a bigger grossing event that Mayweather v Pacquiao was) tells you all you need to know about the direction boxing is headed in.

Mayweather is a phenomenal boxer, of that there is no doubt. However, I do find it mildly amusing that he talks about how he breaks his own PPV records as if the fans are tuning in to watch him. The reality is that the majority are tuning in hoping that this is the time that he gets beat.

All that said, I watched the post-fight press conference last night and Mayweather was polite, respectful, intelligent - I never really liked him before but the respect he was showing the likes of Dana White and Conor and even the press corps was impressive.

Still haven't watched the fight and doubt I will. Conor saw this as his way od ensuring his, his child and his grandchildren's financial futures - but I bet he also felt he had a chance in there. Fair play to him. He knows that the UFC couldn't get him a paycheck even 5% of the one he made on Saturday night (rumoured to be $100 million, whilst Floyd walks away with a cool $300 million). Insanity for 30 minutes of work.