Premier League 17/18

Rangers, West Ham and Arsenal.....need a drinking sesh with you over this :D

I like Sakho, in the final season at Upton Park he was superb but he had injuries plus isnt happy with something - but on his day is quality.

When you next back over Gribz ?

While I'd agree he perhaps doesn't have the awareness that the best have, I'm not sure it's really needed at Liverpool. They're drilled, using their pace and energy, to press and counter. For me he slots nicely into a CM spot. He can also play as one of the front-three, although he's not at the same level, offensively, as Firmino, Salah, Mane etc. I think Klopp will get the best of him. However, we can only wait and see.

Barkely is not an Arsenal player, I agree -- another pacey, attacking-midfielder that doesn't track back.

Van Dijk would improve any top 4 (or 7 :D) side.

I don't think Drinkwater would suit Arsenal. I see him more suited to Chelsea: a team that will counter more, and a team that needs positional discipline from their central two.

But this is EXACTLY what Arsenal need. The central two have zero positional discipline. Go watch Liverpool's 1st 2 goals from Sunday. Ramsey was to blame for BOTH (at least partially). He was supposed to be the sitting midfielder and, for the 2nd goal, when play broke down he was on the Liverpool penalty spot :shock:

Fair play to Ox.... Was a Liverpool fan growing up. Rejected 180k a week at Arsenal and is going to be on roughly 125k a week at Pool (plus bonuses).

Good luck to him, just not against Arsenal :D

Fair play to Ox.... Was a Liverpool fan growing up. Rejected 180k a week at Arsenal and is going to be on roughly 125k a week at Pool (plus bonuses).

How he can afford to turn down another 60K or so a week I will never understand. How is this boy going to survive. But joking aside nice to see there's at least someone out there who has something other than money on his mind when it comes to playing.

Turning down around 3 million extra a year to play for Liverpool can only be for footballing reason. According to his wiki entry "He grew up as an Arsenal supporter"

When you next back over Gribz ?

Next month briefly.

Draxler linked to Arsenal - that would be a good signing, natural left. I didnt think Mayrez would be a good addition but actually think he would now. Still need an enforcer in the midfield....a lot of work for Wenger to get done.

Wilshire to West Ham for a season loan is also looking likely, would have preferred Carvalho but if Wilshire is fit he is class. Upgrade on Noble.

But this is EXACTLY what Arsenal need. The central two have zero positional discipline. Go watch Liverpool's 1st 2 goals from Sunday. Ramsey was to blame for BOTH (at least partially). He was supposed to be the sitting midfielder and, for the 2nd goal, when play broke down he was on the Liverpool penalty spot :shock:

I don't see that as a personnel problem, though. If they want that they have Xhaka, Elneny - both exceptional at those roles with Monchengladbach and Basel - and even Wilshire, Ramsay and Ox could do that job, albeit they're not perfect. The MNF guys on Sky were saying the same thing as you pointed out: Ramsay was getting into the box despite being a sitting midfielder, and I recall in another goal Xhaka was up there too! Even Wenger was saying, 'I wanted Ramsay there so he could make those runs into the box'. I don't see Arsenal's issues changing, unless the manager goes, unfortunately.

Maybe Drinkwater could do a job, but IMO only in certain games, as Arsenal tend to dominate and need creative, short-passers of the ball, which Drinkwater is not.

Edited by Rousseau

How he can afford to turn down another 60K or so a week I will never understand. How is this boy going to survive. But joking aside nice to see there's at least someone out there who has something other than money on his mind when it comes to playing.

Turning down around 3 million extra a year to play for Liverpool can only be for footballing reason. According to his wiki entry "He grew up as an Arsenal supporter"

He turned down Chelsea too, where he'd probably be on more money and have a better chance - going by recent seasons - of winning trophies; all because he wants to play CM.

Yes, fair play.

Next month briefly.

Draxler linked to Arsenal - that would be a good signing, natural left. I didnt think Mayrez would be a good addition but actually think he would now. Still need an enforcer in the midfield....a lot of work for Wenger to get done.

Wilshire to West Ham for a season loan is also looking likely, would have preferred Carvalho but if Wilshire is fit he is class. Upgrade on Noble.

Draxler is a very good player but I don't think he solves any of their problems. It's the same old problems with Arsenal, and it stems from the manager: he just seems incapable of building a balanced side. His best defensive sides of the past were mostly inherited.

Kolasinac was a good signing, but he was benched for the Liverpool game!?

For Arsenal, it's probably too early to say that A Wenger has 'lost it' and by such misplacement has alienated the dressing room.

However -and with AW over the last few years, there has always been an 'however- it does look as though his recruitment of players, and often his selections for particular, usually 'big', matches, have been like nothing other than a game of 'sticks': throw them in the air and pick the ones which land on top.

Of course, being, as we have been told, since, it seems, time immemorial (can it only be 20 years or so?) that he is more than a football man - an economist, a linguist, and a connoisseur of Oriental poetry, to boot- then perhaps his strategies on and off the pitch are determine by I Ching.

That might explain the element of 'randomness' that those of us too unenlightened, or pig ignorant, to discern the patterns, see as the leitmotif of his stewardship of the Club in recent times.

Yet, now, on the contrary, we are told, this scholar, this New Renaissance man, this polymath, this rounded intellectual sophisticate, has no life outside of the fitba'. None. Whatsoever.

Incroyable! as they say in the Garngad.

Of course this, it is suggested, explains his unwillingness to depart the scene.

Leaving aside the so cynical notion that that this trained economist has c 8Mill reasons, pa, not to leave,

then, perhaps, we are left are left to conclude that, if he has no intellectual hinterland, nothing to do, nowhere to go, and has abandoned all for football, he has lost any perspective, any ability to stand back and view coolly and objectively, that he once possessed. He is too close to the wood to discern the trees, and has, indeed, finally 'lost it'.

Is he still M. Le Professeur? Or is he merely M. Le Fanatique, indulged, cossetted, and retained, on the basis of past sporting and economic performances, and on the philosophy of kicking the golden can down the road?

Arsenal fans surely would like to know.

Edited by Uilleam

Draxler is a very good player but I don't think he solves any of their problems. It's the same old problems with Arsenal, and it stems from the manager: he just seems incapable of building a balanced side. His best defensive sides of the past were mostly inherited.

Kolasinac was a good signing, but he was benched for the Liverpool game!?

He was ridiculously along with Lacazette. His selections was just to powder puff. He has an obsession with monreal who is a good pro but a left back at best. Added to that Holding isnt top 4 standard. In the centre Ramsay isnt a centre midfielder in a month of sundays - he is a No.10. Its all about him getting the right shape again.