Bayern Munich 0 - Liverpool 3

Impressive indeed looking at the number of times they got in behind Bayern. And i'm guessing Liverpool must have been defensively solid as well as impressive in attack since not once in those highlights did I see Bayern get in behind them but rather were limited to long range shooting from outside the box.

Sturridge limped off injured after scoring. No way will he play a full season which cuts Liverpools goals down. But going forward they have some good players, their defence still needs fixing.

I wouldn't read too much into it. Bayern have been poor during pre-season -- even Arsenal beat them! Liverpool started on a flyer last year too and we thought they'd be contenders but fell away through poor defensive play and teams just figuring them out. They've not dealt with the former as far as I can see thus far, and the latter will be revealed as we start the season.

Edited by Rousseau

People talk about Coutinho for 80m but Mane is their most dangerous player. When he got injured last season their poor run hit. He is unplayable on his day, strong and fast and can score.

An amusing vignette, from a poster below the line of a Guardian article on the demise of Cathro:

I like to listen to the BBC's Scottish Football podcast because it's a hoot to hear the antiquated, parochial viewpoints spouted by the "football men" and pundits who constantly appear on it. I actually heard one journalist - Tom English - suggest Celtic's Scott Sinclair was a better player than Leroy Sane! And English is supposed to be one of the more enlightened Scottish football pundits. Sad.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says his side can win the Premier League after a "bit of bad luck last season".

Liverpool started the 2016-17 season strongly and were only six points behind leaders Chelsea in January.

But they fell away with only one league win in January and February, and finished fourth, 17 points behind the champions.

"We'll be playing for the championship. We don't start a season by not having any ambitions," said Klopp.

"We have to have our goals and I think we have a very good team now. We did have a bit of bad luck last season.

"I think we can play a little bit better. Let's hope everything will work very well and that there isn't much more to improve."

Klopp said on Monday that playmaker Philippe Coutinho was not for sale, despite interest from Barcelona.

His side face Bayern Munich in the Audi Cup on Tuesday as part of their pre-season preparations.

They will be without forward Divock Origi, who has a muscle problem, and defender Joe Gomez, who has a knee injury.

They begin their Premier League campaign on Saturday 12 August at Watford.