[FT] Sheff Wed 0 - 2 Rangers (Windass 43; Miller 56)

Normally people talk about Super Sunday but this week it was for Rangers Super Wednesday. That was the day that the EBT affair, the so called, Big Tax Case, was finally put to bed. The SPFL finally and correctly came with a statement that they were powerless to bring any further sanctions against Rangers. Oh God, how they wanted too. While the Rangers haters will howl at the moon for a few more months maybe even years to come, Rangers and their supporters can now close the book on the Murray era and look to the future. The future is bright! The future is Rangers! 55 here we come!

What a coincidence we picked " The Wednesday Football Club" for this Sunday's opposition. From 1929 they are better known as Sheffield Wednesday. It does not happen very often that Rangers play a team with a longer history than our own, but The Wednesday Football Club was founded in 1867, originally as many other clubs to give cricketers something to do in the winter. The Cricket club dated further back to 1820. The two sports split up in 1925 and shortly after the Cricket club was closed down due to having little success. The Wednesday Football club joined the Football League in 1892 and funny enough 100 years later in 1992 became a founder member of the English Premier league.

The Owls, as they are nicknamed, have won four league titles, three ,League Cup one and one FA Community Shield. Since the year 2000 they have not been in the top division and even dropped as low as the English 3rd tier.

They play at Hillsborough Stadium which lies in a suburb of Sheffield called Owlerton where the nickname the Owls probably comes from. The stadium holds 39,732 people. Hillsborough has unfortunately become better known for the Hillsborough disaster where 96 Liverpool supporters lost their lives during a FA cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest. A group of Liverpool and Rangers fans have formed the Hillsborough Ibrox Memorial Group which was set up In memory of the 96 Liverpool, and 66 Rangers fans who followed their teams to a football match but never returned home.

After Rangers crashed out of Europe, Pedro Caixinha had to organise a number of friendles for match fitness. His answer to that was to phone up clubs who also have Portugese managers. Marsaille and Sheffield Wednesday fitted the bill. The Sheffield manager is a really big name in world football. He is called Carlos Augusto Soares da Costa Faria Carvalhal. Just as well he was a centre back and not a winger. Can you imagine trying to get your tongue around “We've got Carlos Augusto Soares da Costa Faria Carvalhal on the wing, on the wing.” Wednesday should be good opposition to get us up to the level needed to kick off the league season a week later.

After the poor performances against Prógres Niederkorn and the 1-0 loss to St Johnstone our display against Marsaille last week in gaining a1-1 draw was actually a breath of fresh air. The performance was a huge step up from what Rangers had shown thus far. On Wednesday, Super Wednesday. we took on Watford in a closed door game and we stung the Hornets 2-1. It looks like Luxembourg was a step too far for us but the French and English premierships are more our level. Or was it we played in Luxembourg on a Tuesday. Yes that could be it, maybe we can still do a Celtic and put in a protest that our game was moved from the Wednesday to the Tuesday. We wur cheated.

Lets fight this everyone can donate money to “I am the Phantom too.”

In these Friendlies it is difficult to know what team Pedro will play. Trying different systems and player groups are more important than the actual result. I do however think Pedro will start with his proffered team which will probably give us an insight to what he feels will be his strongest team.

With the rumours that Kenny Miller may move on to Hibs it will be interesting to see if he will appear in the starting line up. He has started in every game so far. With the transfer window ready to slam shut on Tuesday (ahh! Why not Wednesday.) we may even have a change in personnel before the game is played.

I will go for what I think the starting line-up will be:

Foderingham

Tavernier Alves Cordoso Wallace

Candeias Dorrans Jack Penna

Herrera, Miller.

This is the last friendly we will be playing, unless there is a midweek closed doors friendly arranged , so we can start counting down the minutes to our first league game against Motherwell on Sunday the 6th of August. Many say the result of a friendly doesn't matter but I want Rangers to win every game.

Come on the Gers!!!!

Note to Cooperonthe wing: The Motherwell game is on Sunday.:thup::D

On the ticket thread I put Id like to see a similar team but Beerman start at LB and Kranjcar in Pena's place there. Kranjcar surely is a first name on the team sheet. Id also like to see Morelos and Herrera partnership start up top but know those are all unlikely.

On the ticket thread I put Id like to see a similar team but Beerman start at LB and Kranjcar in Pena's place there. Kranjcar surely is a first name on the team sheet. Id also like to see Morelos and Herrera partnership start up top but know those are all unlikely.

Pena must really get a full 90 minutes under his belt before the season starts that is why I picked him. I doubt if we paid so much money for him to warm the substitutes bench. Windass was in the starting line-up last week but that may have been putting him in the shop window.

Pena must really get a full 90 minutes under his belt before the season starts that is why I picked him. I doubt if we paid so much money for him to warm the substitutes bench. Windass was in the starting line-up last week but that may have been putting him in the shop window.

In that case Id take Miller out. There is nothing we need to learn about Miller we already know and perhaps should be saved for competitive games. But Kranjcar relies on being match fit and needs at least 45 mins.

Holt, Windass, Dalcio and Dodoo should all get a run out later in the game in midfield also. Dodoo may be in the shop window but if not he could end up being key on the left as the season goes on. He remains a strange one as looks good when plays but then disappears.

Note to Cooperonthe wing: The Motherwell game is on Sunday.:thup::D

Ha Ha! I need to take my jacket off now.....(That was a very peculiar day).

Good read Pete. Cracking history Wednesday have got, you would hope they get back into the premiership soon?

Ha Ha! I need to take my jacket off now.....(That was a very peculiar day).

Good read Pete. Cracking history Wednesday have got, you would hope they get back into the premiership soon?

Premier League!!

They are about 4th or 5th favorites this season. Villa and Boro are the two the bookies fancy but I think Sheff Wed have a big chance. Derby for me will be up there.

Edited by Gribz

Not happy being otherwise engaged tomorrow, so unable to be at the match. I'm sure we will be better than the last time, Moshi was our best player.

Hoping to get tickets for a few Championship games this season, Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield.

DF63mLyXkAAn0-F?format=jpg&name=large

I am quite sure the Rangers support will do us proud and clap with the rest. Our support know how to respect the dead not like the pricks from the east that mock the dead.