SPFL fixtures published on Friday morning

Only four days to go… fixtures for season 2017/18 will be published on the SPFL website this Friday, June 23, at 9.00am.

The Ladbrokes Premiership, Championship, League 1 and League 2 all kick off on the weekend of August 5.

This will be the fifth season of the SPFL, with Celtic, Hibernian, Livingston and Arbroath winning their respective divisions in 2016/17.

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/fixtures-published-on-friday-morning/#rvEsAJifVIeAbbog.99

I am more excited (yes Gribz and Ian... EXCITED :D) than I have been in a long time over the fixture list being released.... probably because the wee man has his 1st ST - not sure why I should get excited when I will still only get to see a couple of games a year though :(

We will start the season away from home, Tynecastle is out because of ongoing construction of their new Main Stand(I believe it will be the last weekend in September before the Hertz can accommodate a home fixture). Hibs are due an opening home game because they are Championship winners; thus, I predict we will begin at Easter Road.

Pittodrie and ra Stydome are out because we played first on their sods in the first quarter of last season. I wonder what instructions Peter has issued to Stuart?

I am more excited (yes Gribz and Ian... EXCITED :D) than I have been in a long time over the fixture list being released.... probably because the wee man has his 1st ST - not sure why I should get excited when I will still only get to see a couple of games a year though :(

'cause you're a Bluenose ...

Is the first Old Firm game due to be at Ibrox?

Yes, which means if we can hit the ground running taking all points before they come and then beat them we can make an early statement of intent. And burst their bubble of confidence in the process.

Last seasons start was full of hope and expectations when we learned Hamilton were our first opponents...it really did bomb after that game, a real kick in the haw maws from which we never recovered.

I do hope we get Hibs away first, a great opener to lay down our intentions from the off. Victory is a must regardless of who we play, then build on it from there. Bit harsh to judge the side after one game, but the daggers will be out if we don't win it, this in turn brings more pressure like what happened last year.

We need to win every game before we meet the bheasts at Ibrox cos they'll have won all theirs I'm sure.

I'm doubting our first match will be at hubz because that may be a powder keg due to it being their first season back and further for some bizarre reason they appear to hold grudges against us because they invaded the Hampden pitch committing vandalism and assault in the cup final last year. Thus if we beat them in their own pen in this their first match back we may see them again demonstrate a mob mentality on the opening day.

If I can figure that out you have to imagine those compiling these fixtures can figure it out too and go in another direction.

We have been disappointed before but this time out we may be entitled to a certain degree of confidence when taking last season into account. For example the sheep were labeled as having a good season and us a very poor season when in reality we outplayed them three times out of four. In the fourth and final encounter when they indisputably outplayed us we were looking at a team that knew it was about to be dismantled and probably had little more in mind than the next contract.

And while the sheep finished 9 points above us in what was called a good season for them that could have been just 3 points if this about to be dismantled team hadn't downed tools and had their minds elsewhere. Plus part of their claim to a good season was reaching two cup finals neither of which they won and which the chances are we would have been in if we hadn't pulled the eventual winners in both semis.

We all agreed we had a misfiring team the entire season yet when it boils down to it the sheep and their great season were really just barely ahead of us and could have been behind us in the league if not for our inability to finish off teams we totally dominated. And all that with a badly misfiring team.

And now let's look at the season ahead, do we think this is a far stronger team than last season? I do which given the facts I just went over you have to then think that we can be capable of consistently getting the required results to be up there challenging. And incidentally the unmentionables are overdue a defeat or two. It has to happen and all the better if it happens before we meet them and then we beat them too. We have far more reason to be confident this season than we did last.

I'm not the slightest bit worried about Aberdeen FC, no-one except the Rangers Haters give them credit...I'm looking forward to the 'rivalry' returning to the two horse race that is Scottish Football and how it sells around the world. The neutrals will be enthralled at Rangers being back and what they do for Scottish football...no-one likes a one horse race. Scottish football has bombed over the past 5 years due to Rangers exclusion for the benefit of one club and everybody along with their foreign granny knows fine well about it. A successful returning Rangers team will be blockbuster news across the globe. Aberdeen meanwhile will just be...well.., Aberdeen.