Mark Allen’s football philosophy.

Allen has spoke in interviews about his desire for players to have the same level of strong technical ability.

In an interview with The Guardian last season, he said a player’s ability isn’t defined by where they come from.

He said: “When I set out, the technical level wasn’t as good as I thought it should be.

“Over the years we’ve really fixed that

“We can comfortably put our team against anybody in Europe or the world and say ‘we can handle the ball’.

“I’ve always believed if you’re an eight-year-old Portuguese, Spanish, Italian or British kid you’re the same.

“It’s what you do with them.”

In his role as Manchester City academy director, Allen also believed every team should play the same way.

He felt this would set them up perfectly for the requirements of senior football.

Allen told Off The Post last season: “The clubs short term strategy [in 2009] is that we needed to get winning stuff and getting City on the map.

“But the overriding goal was to build a team from within.

“My initial reaction to that was we need to create a philosophy in the way play.”

WHIT! His youths couldn't beat **'The invincibles' :fish:

(** See Lincoln Red Imps)

They got extremely lucky against City. They met them precisely at a time when City for some reason hit a slump after looking unstoppable in the early part of the EPL campaign. They then began dropping the points in the league that ultimately dropped them not just from pole position but even out of a challenging position.

The yahoos had an all round lucky season. It's highly likely that only a late penalty miss in Israel saved them from crashing out of the Champions league and getting the chance to meet City at all.