Pedro Moutinho says Bruno Alves is the ideal father figure for incoming Rangers...

...stopper Fabio Cardoso.

Ibrox boss Pedro Caixinha plans to pair up the Portuguese duo in a new-look defence next season.

PEDRO MOUTINHO claims Bruno Alves is the ideal father figure for incoming Rangers stopper Fabio Cardoso.

Ibrox boss Pedro Caixinha plans to pair up the Portuguese duo in a new-look defence next season.

Alves, 35, will be asked to nurture 23-year-old Cardoso and former Falkirk star Moutinho reckons they are a perfect match.

He told SunSport: “This is a wise move from Caixinha. I can’t see how this partnership won’t work.“You have Alves with all his experience and he will be a great leader for the Rangers team. He is a fantastic signing.

“Cardoso is a lot younger and still has much to learn, but who better than Alves to help him do that?“Caixinha is clever. He wanted a new defence and it’s not by accident that he’s about to sign two Portuguese players in that area.

“There is a big age gap between them but I think their individual strengths will work perfectly as a partnership. It also means there is no language barrier.“It’s important that they speak English on the pitch but it makes the transition a lot easier.

“Also, off the pitch it always helps when you have one or two people from your own country. I’m impressed with both signings and there is no doubt that Rangers will be a lot stronger next season.“It will be tough to challenge Celtic for the title but they are moving in the right direction under Caixinha.”

Cardoso is in Glasgow to finalise his £1.3million move from Vitoria Setubal and Moutinho insists Rangers have landed a real gem.

The ex-Portugal Under-20 stopper came through the ranks at Benfica before moving on last summer.

Moutinho has been impressed with his progress at Vitoria and reckons that Cardoso could make Gers a tidy profit one day.He added: “Rangers is a good next step for Fabio but I also look at him and think he could maybe go even higher in the future.

“Many players have gone to Scotland and then moved on to England for a lot of money. Just look at Virgil van Dijk.“I’m not saying Cardoso is at the same level but maybe he can make Rangers a profit one day. He certainly has the potential.

“Cardoso wasn’t able to break into the Benfica team but it’s always hard for youngsters as there is much competition.“But he moved to Setubal last summer and for me, he has been one of their best players since then. I watched him a lot last year and he always impressed me.

“In the bigger games, he stood up well.“The Rangers fans should expect a good all-round defender. He has many attributes, not just one or two.“Cardoso isn’t the quickest central defender I’ve ever seen but he’s not slow at all.

“He can use his pace when he needs to. He is also very good in the air, strong in the tackle and is composed coming out of defence with the ball. That will be really important for Caixinha. He will want to Cardoso and Alves to take responsibility and start attacks.

“I have watched both of them a lot and that won’t be an issue for them.“As I said, they will be a very good partnership.”

Moutinho, now working as a football consultant in Madeira, had three spells at Falkirk and also played for Stenhousemuir during a long association with Scotland.

He urged the Portuguese players signed by Caixinha to embrace the culture but admits the physical nature of the game may come as a shock.

He said: “My advice to these guys is to get to know Scotland. It’s a beautiful country with great people.“In terms of the football, it will be more physical than they are used to back home.

“Alves has been in many different nations now and has picked up so much experience in his career. Cardoso is a lot younger and it will surprise him when people try to tackle from behind.“That doesn’t happen back home but once he plays a few games, he will love Scottish football and the country too.”