Lies, Damned Lies & Invincibles

There's a famous quote, popularised by Mark Twain and erroneously attributed to former British Prime Minister Benjamin Disreali, that says, "there are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics". At a time where everyone is falling over themselves in the rush to canonise Brendan Rodgers and his 'Invincibles', the quote has never seemed more suited to Scottish football as Rangers fans are left wondering if they simply imagined the treble-winning 1992/93 season that saw Rangers go an astonishing 44 games unbeaten in ALL competitions.

Full article:http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/2017/5/31/15718242/lies-damned-lies-invincibles-spfl-rangers-celtic

There's a famous quote, popularised by Mark Twain and erroneously attributed to former British Prime Minister Benjamin Disreali, that says, "there are three kinds of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics". At a time where everyone is falling over themselves in the rush to canonise Brendan Rodgers and his 'Invincibles', the quote has never seemed more suited to Scottish football as Rangers fans are left wondering if they simply imagined the treble-winning 1992/93 season that saw Rangers go an astonishing 44 games unbeaten in ALL competitions.Full article:http://www.gotthebattlefeveron.com/2017/5/31/15718242/lies-damned-lies-invincibles-spfl-rangers-celtic

To be fair, even though our team that year was a FAR better team than this Celtic team and even though we DID go 44 games unbeaten - we actually lost 4 games in the league that season. So the two are very different situations. They are, like it or not, entitled to bang on about their "invincibles" - however, nobody will EVER convince me that this Celtic team is even close to our 1992/93 team. Not even close.

Would have to double-check the exact figures, but the current Yahoos' team was assembled for a fee of around 29m. That is what the players they have on their roster right now cost them. 10m of that was spent last summer.

Our current team cost us roughly 4m, with about 3m of that were spent on Wallace (a WEE while back) and Garner. Aberdeen's outlay was some 400k for McLean, the rest were freebies and loanees et al. And the rest of the Premiership hardly spent a a pound at all on any of their current squad for the last 4 years.

That is as if you would throw Bayern with their current squad into BL 3 (sic!) and then go bananas about winning all games, or not loosing any.

As I noted elsewhere, they cheated or where helped a lot - not least early on - to get one or even all three points. It is no conspiracy or something, it is simple fact that despite their dominance, they made sure in one way or another that they ended up with their results. One simply needs to scan the respective game reports to find the evidence of stonewall penalties being denied, dubious penalties awarded, their players getting away with "murder" (Gordon & Brown), and referees being hounded by the compliant media etc.. The truth is out there ...

To be fair, even though our team that year was a FAR better team than this Celtic team and even though we DID go 44 games unbeaten - we actually lost 4 games in the league that season. So the two are very different situations. They are, like it or not, entitled to bang on about their "invincibles" - however, nobody will EVER convince me that this Celtic team is even close to our 1992/93 team. Not even close.

Ah!, ''domestic'' invincibles.......................got you now, you would think they had deliberately missed that word out?:), imagine going through a ''domestic'' season winning every match!

Ah!, ''domestic'' invincibles.......................got you now, you would think they had deliberately missed that word out?:),

Arsenal don't do it either. It's not required.

It is a good achievement to do what they have done.

Arsenal don't do it either. It's not required.

It is a good achievement to do what they have done.

Yep. Happens very rarely. It IS a good achievement. Though I still would put an asterisk beside it :D

We done it ourselves 3 years ago, unbeaten throughout an entire league campaign. I was embarrassed at the club and our then manager trying to make a big thing out of it as our budget dwarfed that of all nine of our opponents put together.

Very similar I'd say to timmys achievement this season, nothing to shout about really. I put it to a couple of tims I know well who of this treble side would get into MON's treble side of 2001 - I say none of them and they struggle if they are being objective to name anyone confidently that is better now than they had before. Ends the conversation quite quickly!

We done it ourselves 3 years ago, unbeaten throughout an entire league campaign. I was embarrassed at the club and our then manager trying to make a big thing out of it as our budget dwarfed that of all nine of our opponents put together.

Very similar I'd say to timmys achievement this season, nothing to shout about really. I put it to a couple of tims I know well who of this treble side would get into MON's treble side of 2001 - I say none of them and they struggle if they are being objective to name anyone confidently that is better now than they had before. Ends the conversation quite quickly!

I remember McCoist going on about how it was an achievement and was difficult at any level - ***cringe*** ***shudder*** he believes it too, God help him.

Edited by SteveC