Benni McCarthy says Rangers target Bruno Alves is made for Old Firm derbies

The South African played with Alves at Porto and insists his arrival will ensure the Hoops don't enjoy any Old Firm strolls next season

BENNI McCARTHY believes Portuguese man o’ war Bruno Alves was born for the Old Firm battle.

Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha is set to land the Cagliari stopper as he rebuilds his Ibrox team.

The South African claims Alves is exactly the type of defensive warrior Caixinha needs to lead his Ibrox revolution.

And the former striker insists the arrival of the 35-year-old will ensure Celtic don’t enjoy any Old Firm strolls next season.

He told SunSport: “Bruno has more personality and character than Rangers have had in the last few years.“Rangers are signing a world-class defender. He is that good — and he will be right up for the fight.“Bruno is going to grab some BALLS in that Rangers dressing room and get them really up for it.

“I watched a few of the Old Firm games last season and it was really just a walk in the park for Celtic.“Now, with characters like Bruno on board, Rangers will put up more of a fight.

“His team-mates will say ‘If a foreigner can show passion like this and be up for the battle, why can’t we?’“Bruno reminds me a lot of Virgil van Dijk with the way he can play the ball out from the back.“I’m not saying Rangers will beat Celtic to the league title but Bruno will inspire the players at Ibrox.

“They can’t allow Celtic to have it easy in the Old Firm games. They need to get up for it and Bruno will help.“He played massive games for Porto and he has played at the highest level in Russia, Turkey and Italy.“Bruno also won 89 caps for Portugal and was part of the team that won the Euros in 2016.“The Old Firm is a unique derby but Bruno has so much experience and he will be ready for that challenge.”

McCarthy first clapped eyes on Alves in 2002 when he was a raw kid — but he was immediately impressed by him.

Porto were coached by Jose Mourinho back then and the Special One tipped the powerful stopper for the top.

McCarthy, who now lives in Edinburgh, understood the hype and insists Caixinha is getting an all-round defender in Alves.

He said: “When I signed for Porto in 2002 Bruno was a young player.“Jose Mourinho drafted him into the first team and I played with Bruno for three years and saw him grow up with my own eyes.“Rangers are going to get a top player and if that’s the quality Caixinha is looking at, they will build a very good team.

“He is big, powerful and one of the best I have ever seen at attacking the ball in the air.“Sometimes he maybe over-commits and is too aggressive but that is the only negative that I can think of.“Bruno is dominant in the air. He has a fantastic leap but he’s also a good footballer.

“Right foot, left foot, long and short passes, he can do it all.“He is very composed on the ball and will bring a lot of class to the team. Bruno never panics, even when he is being closed down. He always wants to take possession and play.“That’s a great trait to have. For me, he is one of the best defenders Portugal has ever produced and I don’t think he gets enough credit in his home country.”

Alves turns 36 in November and there is no doubt that his best days are behind him as he heads towards the end of his career.

But McCarthy insists age is not a barrier for the big defender, who has been a model pro over the years.

The former Blackburn and West Ham hitman insists his pal is still in top nick and believes he will be two steps ahead of most of the players he faces in Scotland.

He said: “Bruno will not be as quick as he used to be but 35 is not that old for a central defender now.“His experience also means that pace isn’t as important as it used to be.

“Bruno has also looked after himself exceptionally well. His body is immaculate. He’ll look the same as he did at 23.“I know for a fact that Bruno is the type who will still train every day — even when he is on holiday.“He is in peak condition and there will be no problem in terms of fitness. He will be ready for the challenge of Scottish football.

“Okay, his speed will have deteriorated a little bit but he will still be able to compete with Scotland’s best players.“His experience will also be huge for Rangers, especially as Clint Hill has now left.“Caixinha is bringing in his own players to create an identity and Bruno is perfect for Rangers.

“Their job next season is to get closer to Celtic, push them and make life more difficult for them.“Celtic are so far ahead of every other team and they are only going to get stronger under Brendan Rodgers.“But players like Bruno will make sure that Rangers step up a level when they play the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs.“The aim for them is to put up a better fight to Celtic and Bruno won’t accept anything less.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1080889/benni-mccarthy-on-rangers-target-bruno-alves-being-made-for-old-firm-derby-and-why-he-could-be-pedro-caixinhas-answer-to-ex-celtic-star-virgil-van-dijk/

Bruno is going to grab some BALLS in that Rangers dressing room and get them really up for it.

Suits me fine, just what we need. We're getting some steel and quality into the defence and the midfield too. Game on.

Why am i worried about the conferations cup this summer!

Hope they get gubbed and take an early plane home. Final match will be 24th June and out if they don't make the top two in their group. They're in group A.

Russia

New Zealand

Portugal

Mexico