RICHARD GOUGH insists Rangers fans should be thankful they have Dave King

LONG LIVE THE KING Dave King might be an absentee landlord but Richard Gough insists Rangers fans should be thankful he has the Ibrox throne

Supporters are yet to be completely won over by King, who spends most of his time in South Africa

RICHARD GOUGH insists Rangers fans should be thankful they have Dave King on the Ibrox throne.

Supporters are yet to be completely won over by their absentee landlord, who spends most of his time in South Africa.

But Gough reckons, given the state of the club before King’s arrival, fans should be glad he’s in charge.

The former Rangers star said: “This football club is all about opinions. If things are going well, that wouldn’t be mentioned.“When things aren’t going well, it is. All I would say is that it’s a lot better than it was two or three years ago.”

Meanwhile Gough has warned Gers boss Pedro Caixinha to spend his transfer funds wisely.

The ex-Ibrox defender knows the scale of the rebuilding job but understands that resources will be more limited compared to the nine-in-a-row era.

Gough said: “When I first came to Rangers, I was the captain of Tottenham and we had already signed Terry Butcher, who was the captain of England.“Rangers can’t go out and sign that kind of quality now. That’s a worry.“It’s a completely different cycle. Scottish football is certainly not in its heyday.

“That anomaly we had between 1986 and maybe 2000 was a blip in the way British football runs.“It started because the English clubs weren’t in Europe for the first five years. Everyone says to me that I was a Rangers man.“That’s true, but Rangers also doubled my money when I came up from Tottenham.

“Maybe people didn’t know that. There was a financial consideration as well.“Imagine that happening now? Rangers signing the Spurs captain, aged 24, and doubling his money.“What would that be these days? Maybe £200,000 per week.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1055356/dave-king-might-be-an-absentee-landlord-but-richard-gough-insists-rangers-fans-should-be-thankful-he-has-the-ibrox-throne/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-Football-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

You made a lot of money for doing a good job with Rangers Richard. You are one of the ones we did not waste money on and for that we thank you.

But, when was the last time you paid to go to a Rangers match ? Is a Rangers forum the first thing you look at each morning ?

We know that Dave is one of your pals. We understand where you're coming from. But ffs, don't make it sound like a lecture. The manager will be judged by his own performance.

The above is what I would probably have written had I only read the headline and not then double read the text.

Gough is talking about his favourite subject - himself, and the story has been twisted by another probable hater.

We all thanked Dave King and the Three Bears for getting the club out the hands of the asset strippers, that goes without saying. However you can't live on your Laurels for ever, tangible progress has to be seen, atm we seem to be standing still. I'm a patient Bear and not to critical of King CO, however their PR and defending the club and support is absolutely abysmal and that's being kind.