Rangers fans banned after disorder at Scottish Cup Final

I'm with GS on this. As everyone knows I was down the front of the main stand with my niece. As the final whistle blow we headed straight up the stairs. As we looked back we seen them all heading our way and when we were half way up she was upset and scared.

At this time they were down at the front where we were gesturing to where the mascots and some of the disabled supporters had been.

I have said this before, if I am down the front of stand with a child, and feel some idiot is upsetting them or putting them in danger then i would take whatever action I felt was necessary. We shouldn't forget how bad it was that day. It was hatred and nothing "jovial" or "exuberant" about it. The Scot Squad were a shambles and subsequent covering their arse is a national disgrace.

Agreed, Police failed in their duty to protect innocent members of the public; but the Rangers fans who ran on to the pitch to take up the challenge were not defending anyone.

Agreed, Police failed in their duty to protect innocent members of the public; but the Rangers fans who ran on to the pitch to take up the challenge were not defending anyone.

I am also broadly in agreement BH. I am uncomfortable with the narrative that if anyone were to challenge those fans in those circumstances then they are to blame.

On your main point that those who ran on to challenge then I agree. If there were fans who did so in anticipation that they, their kids or partners would face assault or injury then I disagree.

The bottom line is this was a disaster at the hands of the scot squad. Who, after the event colluded with the authorities to deflect as much blame and attention as they could from their incompetence. Rangers supporters were an easy target. The fact we are splitting hairs now over this discussion is evidence their propaganda was effective.

If they had done their job and not been too busy looking for working citizens who might be singing "naughty songs" then it would never have happened.

They are, and always have been, a national disgrace. If I could be bothered I'm sure I could find countless incidences of there inherent incompetence. Their arrogance is breathtaking.

I accept what you say about that GS; I have always been concerned that the thin line of stewards (often just young lassies) between fans at some venues e.g. Parkhead; would be unwilling or unable to stop an altercation if someone led the charge.

I see no reason why strong barriers should not be erected between the sections where there might be segregation in some matches. They wouldn't cause an issue if fans of the same team happened to be on both sides of the barrier on some occasions.

Failing that the Police not stewards should form the barrier. Fans should not have to become deputies in any circumstances.

They were trying to get in the stand from the pitch.

Hundreds of them.

Rangers supporter banned after 'coward's assault' on Hibs fan

A RANGERS supporter has been banned from football after a "coward's assault" on a Hibs fan.

Derek Montgomery kicked the fan at the Scottish Cup Final game on May 21, 2016, and appeared for sentencing at Glasgow Sheriff Court this week. The 46-year-old was on the pitch when a Hibs fan ran over to a group of Rangers supporters, and fly-kicked into the air before falling on the ground.

Montgomery then approached the man while he was still on the ground and "kicked him several times on the body", a court heard. The Hibs fan tried to run away but Montgomery punched him in the back.

After being identified on CCTV, he was cautioned and charged by police but told them "I did not punch anyone."

Montgomery, of New Cumnock, later pleaded guilty to the attack and was banned from attending any regulation football matches for a year. He was also fined £450.

Sentencing, Sheriff Alan Miller said: "You have expressed your shame and disgust. "This was a coward's assault."

He said Montgomery's attack was part of the overall disorder which "brought shame on Scottish football in general."

The Sheriff also banned another football fan for six months for disorder at the game. Callum Woods, 18, climbed over the barrier on to the pitch and ran at supporters from the opposite team.

He pleaded guilty to the charge and was fined £320, as well as the football banning order. Woods, of Larkhall, was told by the Sheriff he got "carried away in the heat of the moment".

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15253642.Rangers_supporter_banned_after__coward_s_assault__on_Hibs_fan/