Rangers fans banned after disorder at Scottish Cup Final

TWO Rangers fans have been banned from football games after invading the pitch at the Scottish Cup Final.

James Reston, 31 and Nicholas Robertson, 47, were both involved in the disorder at the Rangers v Hibs match on May 21, 2016.

Reston, of Torphin Walk in Glasgow’s East End, was seen on CCTV storming the pitch at Hampden and running towards Hibs supporters.

In CCTV of the event, he could be seen running with his fists clenches, gesturing at opposition supporters and challenging them to fight.

Reston could be seen making a kicking motion on camera, before disappearing out of shot.

The lifelong Rangers fan, who has a previous conviction for shouting offensive remarks at Celtic Park during an Old Firm match, handed himself in at Helen Street police station after finding out police were looking for him.

Fellow Rangers supporter Robertson, 47, from Kircaldy in Fife assaulted a Hibs fan during the invasion last year.

Grandfather-of-two Robertson kicked the fan, who was carrying a green scarf, on his body numerous times and made gestures at other Hibs fans.

He also challenged them to a fight.

Appearing before Sheriff Lindsay Wood at Glasgow Sheriff Court yesterday, the men were told they had “let down the club” and were both fined £1200.

Roberston was handed a 30 month ban from football games, while Reston was given a four-year ban.

Sheriff Wood said Robertson’s grandchildren would look up to him, and added: “You have that responsibility.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15248101.Rangers_fans_banned_after_disorder_at_Scottish_Cup_Final/

These people are an embarrassment to the Club. Yes the Hibs fans started it; but I was sickened to see Rangers fans running on to take up the challenge and even as in these cases, challenging Hibs fans to fight.

Looking ahead to Europe in particular, we should have a campaign to try to get all travelling supporters understand that they are Ambassadors for the Club, Glasgow and Scotland, especially when we have been out of Europe for so long.

And before anyone says it, I am well aware that we have been very badly treated in a number of places most notably Bucharest for the game against Unirea and in Pamplona vs Osasuna; but there a lot of folk who seem to think that when we are away from Ibrox, anything goes.

I personally am glad that some Rangers supporters took it upon them to fight back. I have been in the situation where opposing supporters were climbing fences to enter the area I was sitting in. There was a feeling of fear in the whole area. There were no Police cordons to stop Hibs supporters entering the Rangers stands amongst woman and children. It should never have happened but we must never forget or let the truth be turned around: This was a Hibs supporters attack.

I don't believe there was any suggestion that Hibs fans were going to enter the stand occupied by us. They were just there to wind us up similar to what the Motherwell fans had done. The Gers fans on the pitch weren't there to defend anyone.

The fact that the authorities had taken virtually no action against motherwell caused this and a large part of the blame lies with them.

All that the Gers fans who went into the pitch did was to allow the police, the football authorities, the press and the Scottish government to share the blame equally between the 2 sets of fans. They let Hibs, the SFA and the police off the hook, weakened our club's position and really let the club down.

I dont know bluedell they were trying to get in my stand i was scared for my boy and he was in tears. I am grateful for the guys who went forward to stop them i thought i was going to have to. Others did and i got my boy out.

But we were right next to the hibs fans may have been different elsewhere.

Edited by the gunslinger

I dont know bluedell they were trying to get in my stand i was scared for my boy and he was in tears. I am grateful for the guys who went forward to stop them i thought i was going to have to. Others did and i got my boy out.

I'm with GS on this. As everyone knows I was down the front of the main stand with my niece. As the final whistle blow we headed straight up the stairs. As we looked back we seen them all heading our way and when we were half way up she was upset and scared.

At this time they were down at the front where we were gesturing to where the mascots and some of the disabled supporters had been.

I have said this before, if I am down the front of stand with a child, and feel some idiot is upsetting them or putting them in danger then i would take whatever action I felt was necessary. We shouldn't forget how bad it was that day. It was hatred and nothing "jovial" or "exuberant" about it. The Scot Squad were a shambles and subsequent covering their arse is a national disgrace.

I don't believe there was any suggestion that Hibs fans were going to enter the stand occupied by us. They were just there to wind us up similar to what the Motherwell fans had done. The Gers fans on the pitch weren't there to defend anyone.

The fact that the authorities had taken virtually no action against motherwell caused this and a large part of the blame lies with them.

All that the Gers fans who went into the pitch did was to allow the police, the football authorities, the press and the Scottish government to share the blame equally between the 2 sets of fans. They let Hibs, the SFA and the police off the hook, weakened our club's position and really let the club down.

In terms of scale there was no comparison between the Motherwell invasion and the Hibs invasion at Hampden.

That apart I completely agree with BD. I was in the Mount Florida end near the bottom and we were never in any danger of attack by the Hibs fans, they were taunting us but no more than that. Unfortunately hundreds of our fans, some might say mindless idiots, ran on to take up the challenge or as has now been proven, to challenge the Hibs fans themselves.

If Hibs fans attempted to enter or actually did enter part of stand where Rangers fans were seated then that is a different matter altogether.

I personally am glad that some Rangers supporters took it upon them to fight back. I have been in the situation where opposing supporters were climbing fences to enter the area I was sitting in. There was a feeling of fear in the whole area. There were no Police cordons to stop Hibs supporters entering the Rangers stands amongst woman and children. It should never have happened but we must never forget or let the truth be turned around: This was a Hibs supporters attack.

I understand what you are saying because I had that situation in Stuttgart in 2003 but Rangers fans were every bit as much to blame because they were trying to shake the fence down. Fortunately the fences between fans tend to be higher and often topped with barbed wire abroad.

I still don't believe that those Rangers fans on the pitch at Hampden acted in self defence.

I accept what you say about that GS; I have always been concerned that the thin line of stewards (often just young lassies) between fans at some venues e.g. Parkhead; would be unwilling or unable to stop an altercation if someone led the charge.

I see no reason why strong barriers should not be erected between the sections where there might be segregation in some matches. They wouldn't cause an issue if fans of the same team happened to be on both sides of the barrier on some occasions.

Failing that the Police not stewards should form the barrier. Fans should not have to become deputies in any circumstances.

Edited by BrahimHemdani