Rangers set to reward Myles Beerman with bumper new deal

Rangers set to reward Myles Beerman with bumper new deal after stunning impact under Pedro Caixinha

The Maltese youngster signed for the Light Blues last summer after being released by City

RANGERS are poised to reward Myles Beerman for his stunning first-team impact with a bumper new deal.

SunSport understands the teenage left-back is set to keep his place for Sunday’s Scottish Cup semi-final showdown against Celtic at Hampden.

Captain Lee Wallace is still crocked — but Gers boss Pedro Caixinha has faith in the ex-Manchester City starlet.

The Maltese youngster signed for the Light Blues last summer after being released by City, where he played with on-loan Celtic hero Patrick Roberts.

It’s believed Caixinha is keen to see Beerman’s present terms dramatically improved, while it’s likely his contract — which runs until 2018 — will also be extended.

You would assume that certain staff people have seen him for the u20s, and now he has 3 or 4 games under his belt. While it would be right to extend his deal beyond 2018, as long as Wallace is there, the competition for that left-back role is quite strong, unless PC utilizes both in difficult away games. That said, should McKay leave, we might use Beerman as the left winger that he once was.

Lee wallace is not 30 till August and at this stage is till a far better player than young Beerman. LW is a sound defender, scores goals and gets to the bye line for cutbacks.

Beerman has shown good promise but that's all at this point.

I'd give him a new deal on the basis that a bird in the hand is (cheaper and) worth two in the bush; but I wouldn't get over-excited about his prospects just yet.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Wallace is a lot of things but defensively sound he is not. I'd suggest inconsistent is more accurate although I'd agree he should remain first choice for the time being.

It's just good to see some competition for the left-back berth which will hopefully inspire a better standard of performance from Wallace.