Peter Lovenkrands: I failed to impress Rangers boss but he impressed me

The former Rangers forward was overlooked for No.3 role in favour of Jonatan Johansson, but isn’t bitter over his snub.

PETER LOVENKRANDS failed to win over Pedro Caixhina to become Rangers’ No3. But the new Ibrox boss left a lasting impression on the Dane.

Lovenkrands was invited in for a chat with Caixinha as he finalised his backroom staff.

The former Rangers forward was overlooked in favour of Jonatan Johansson, but isn’t bitter over his snub.

Lovenkrands insists that one meeting with Caixinha was enough to prove to him that the Gers gaffer will handle his Old Firm bow in Sunday’s Scottish Cup semi-final.

He said: “I don’t think that anything is going to faze Pedro on Sunday.“After meeting him and speaking to him, he knows what he wants.

Rangers phoned me and asked me to go in for a chat and of course I hoped I was going to get that opportunity.“I’m happy for Jonatan that he got the chance instead and I’m sure he’ll do well.“But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed. I thought the role was perfect for me and that I could have helped.“I wished Pedro all the best when he told me the news although I had already said that when I came out of the meeting.“I want to see the club back where they used to be.“

Pedro is very focused on what he is looking for from the players and the club.“I think he will be probably be more excited about Sunday’s game than anything. The thing that impressed me most about Pedro when I met him was his ideas and the way he’s thinking football-wise.

“We had the same type of mentality in terms of our thoughts on football and training. He came across as very clever, he knows his stuff and appears to be very hard-working in terms of preparation.

“I think he’ll be fine in his first experience of the derby.“But only time will tell because the Old Firm can get to anyone in the heat of the moment and we have seen that before.”

Champs Celtic sit a massive 33 points ahead of Rangers in the Premiership table — but Lovenkrands insists one-off games are a lot tighter.

The Hoops beat their rivals 5-1 in September but have had two single-goal wins and a draw since then.

Lovenkrands said: “Is the gap as big as people think? In head–to-head games, no.“Over the season Celtic, of course, have proved it, they have won the league comfortably.“They have been more consistent in winning their games and that’s been the big difference.

“But going in head to head in an Old Firm game, there’s never been big gaps.“No one has given Rangers a chance against Celtic this season at all. In my point of view going into Old Firm games is always 50-50. It doesn’t matter how good your form has been going into these games, anything can happen.

“Look at the last game when it was a draw at Celtic Park.“I don’t know if Rangers needed that result but you just don’t want to get beaten. And they didn’t.

“They went out and proved something to a lot of people. Everyone was telling me it was going to be four or five again, all those things.

“But it was an Old Firm game and I knew anything could happen. When I was involved we lost 6-2 at Parkhead and then we beat Celtic in the next game.

“These things happen. Yes, Celtic have been doing great but I think Rangers have improved with the new manager coming in.

“Their style of play has improved as well, It is more direct and that suits the players better. I think they are in with a good chance.”

Lovenkrands famously scored a Scottish Cup winner against Celtic in 2002 — pouncing with an injury-time header.

Martin O’Neill’s side were also champions back then but the Dane reckons Alex McLeish’s men showed what can be achieved.

He said: “We wanted to go and get silverware and we knew we could beat Celtic.“Like this season, they had won the league comfortably that year and had been the most consistent team.“But it’s an Old Firm game, we knew we could beat them. We had done it before and we did beat them.

“We weren’t so much thinking about the next season, it was just that one game to prove to ourselves that we could beat them. Alex came in with ideas and tried to change things. He gave me my chance through the middle and it worked for me.

“It worked for us that day, but we were fantastic against Celtic. We had gone behind twice and we still came back to win. We deserved it because we were good.

“It was a 92nd-minute winner and that’s what happens when you take your chances.“Alex’s game plan going into that game was great and we went out and executed it.”

Meanwhile, Lovenkrands insists Celtic are RIGHT to appeal Scott Brown’s red card against Ross County to have him free for Sunday.

He said: “Why would you not take advantage of the system? Rangers would have done the same thing.“Celtic are just taking advantage of the system and it’s worked in their favour.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/880529/i-failed-to-impress-rangers-boss-pedro-caixinha-but-he-impressed-me-says-peter-lovenkrands/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-Sport-_-TwImageandlink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

He said: “Why would you not take advantage of the system? Rangers would have done the same thing.“Celtic are just taking advantage of the system and it’s worked in their favour.”

Only that the "system" was most likely put in place to decide on situations that are debatable or look dubious in TV replays. This tackle does not and thus "utilizing" the system for the sake of gaining a sporting advantage should be punished. And I for one wouldn't cried foul if they had done the same with Kiernan, yet, that decision was at least a little debatable.

Edited by der Berliner

Only that the "system" was most likely put in place to decide on situations that are debatable or look dubious in TV replays. This tackle does not and thus "utilizing" the system for the sake of gaining a sporting advantage should be punished. And I for one wouldn't cried foul if they had done the same with Kiernan, yet, that decision was at least a little debatable.

If Brown's ban is upheld they should extend the ban for sure.

But it is hard to complain too heavily when a club utilize the rules as they are set out. If the SFA meant the rules to be applied a certain way but club's use it in another then the problem is with the authorities setting the rules, not the club's abusing it.

If Brown's ban is upheld they should extend the ban for sure.

But it is hard to complain too heavily when a club utilize the rules as they are set out. If the SFA meant the rules to be applied a certain way but club's use it in another then the problem is with the authorities setting the rules, not the club's abusing it.

Gordon "the legend" Dalziel was on Snyde tonight waxing lyrical that he felt Browns red card should be overturned! Reckons it was never a red.

Dalziel is another that has become a Snyde and piggery sycophant. He is always gushing and blowing kisses in the direction of porkheid!

Some of his comments are just borderline nuttery.......

It was obvious retaliation after having taken a little nick just prior to the incident and even the TV commentators on the highlights I watched who had the ability to replay it which they did all instantly agreed it was a red card. Aside from the retaliatory factor it appeared to be mere millimeters away from being a shattering ankle break.

Of course potential life changing injuries are nothing in comparison to a dive for a penalty. Except when it's Dembele et al doing the diving.

I think Lovenkrands does himself too short or the headline at least. Just because you don't get a job doesn't mean you don't impress. You can impress but not get the job. Mostly at the end choice there is very little between the candidates only small differences get a person over the line.

Gordon "the legend" Dalziel was on Snyde tonight waxing lyrical that he felt Browns red card should be overturned! Reckons it was never a red.

Dalziel is another that has become a Snyde and piggery sycophant. He is always gushing and blowing kisses in the direction of porkheid!

Some of his comments are just borderline nuttery.......

I only heard Dalziel's initial comments, but it was very much a case of taking on the role of devil's advocate for the sake of stimulating some calls/debate. It was a very poor attempt at it, mind. You could tell he felt he had drawn the short straw during the pre-show planning.

I must admit I didn't think it was a straight red card, although it should have been a booking. He did retaliate for the earlier niggle and that much was clear, however it was the reaction of their players that got him sent off.

It's irrelevant anyway as I really want him to play at the weekend. It's so much sweeter to win when he's in the team.

I must admit I didn't think it was a straight red card, although it should have been a booking. He did retaliate for the earlier niggle and that much was clear, however it was the reaction of their players that got him sent off.

It's irrelevant anyway as I really want him to play at the weekend. It's so much sweeter to win when he's in the team.

The only game he has played good against us was against an unfit Joey Barton. He won't get near Hyndman Holt or Toral