Chelsea have won the race to sign Rangers wonderkid Billy Gilmour

Gilmour on move English Premier League side Chelsea have won the race to sign Rangers wonderkid Billy Gilmour

It's believed the midfielder and his family have now made it clear he will join the Premier League leaders

CHELSEA have won the race to sign Rangers kid Billy Gilmour.

SunSport revealed back on December 14 that the Blues were desperate to land the 15-year-old midfielder.

Since then the likes of Arsenal and Barcelona have battled for his signature.

Ibrox managing director Stewart Robertson recently confirmed a deal had been struck with the Stamford Bridge side if Gilmour chose to go.

Gers still hoped to persuade Gilmour to commit to them but it’s believed he and his family have now made it clear he will join the Premier League leaders.

The Ibrox side would have been due just £90,000 if he had walked in the summer when he turned 16.

Meanwhile, Rangers’ top scorer Martyn Waghorn has insisted he’s never been happier at a club than he is now.

There’s still no sign of a breakthrough in talks to extend his present contract, which has 15 months to run.

Waghorn said: “There is no rush. I still have 15 months left. I would love to stay. I love this place. I am enjoying challenging for trophies.“I have never been so happy at a club. I am just focusing on playing and staying in the team.“If something comes about, great. If not I am more than happy playing for this club at the minute.”

SunSport revealed that new Ibrox boss Pedro Caixinha is keen on the 25-year-old midfielder.

Jack is out of contract in the summer and free to sign a pre-contract.

McInnes said: “I spoke to Ryan as I normally do on a training day. He gave me assurances there’s been no contact.”

Yep, after yesterday'S stunt by the DR regarding Ryan Jack, it is the Sun's turn today. While the DR employs mindreaders, the Sun has believers.

Well, we shall see. If we can do a pre-deal like that, you wonder whether we can a sell-on clause as well.

Good luck Billy. You'll certainly need it. Money talks & you'll certainly get that at Chelski.

Only problem is the football Billy. They've got so many like you who will be nowhere near their first team squad so they punt them all out on loan. Last I heard they had something like 37 out on loan but no idea if that figure's accurate anymore.....

Sadly we now have another ' might have been' who has now sacrificed his career for short term financial gain. Very sad IMO

Right, let's just scrap the youth programme altogether now. It's one thing producing players for big English clubs' first teams:quite another for their bloated youth schemes. We can get by on an endless drip feed of loan players and short-term mercenaries. Good bye to all the old ideas of club loyalty.No connection between fans and club. We will be a shop window for scouts, nothing more.

Hmmm,Short term financial gain?Long term i would say.If the boy can get 10k aweek for three years,thats 1.5 million.

All his expenses covered,he could bank say 1 million.Iwill work 50 years and not bank a tenth of that.Short term its not.

Its called,being set for life.Who can blame him?

Hmmm,Short term financial gain?Long term i would say.If the boy can get 10k aweek for three years,thats 1.5 million.

All his expenses covered,he could bank say 1 million.Iwill work 50 years and not bank a tenth of that.Short term its not.

Its called,being set for life.Who can blame him?[/QUOTE]

Well, i can for one; it's immoral.

I agree limeburner. He will be 16 and his family see him being set for life by the time he is 20. Now he can always go back to education (20 is still very young) and as you say will probably have between £1-2m banked already before he is 21.

I understand the arguments as Rangers fans but there is also a moral argument suggesting his family should do what's best for the kid. Now some may not like it, but being set for life before 21 is an opportunity that no family should allow any child to pass up.

Of course he could set hmself up for life. But it will be at the expense of a football career.