Delaney hopeful new role on UEFA executive committee......

...can 'make Irish football stronger'.

John Delaney is confident his new role as an UEFA executive committee member will not detract from his responsibilities as chief executive of the FAI.

He became only the second Irishman, after Dundalk's Des Casey in 1994, to hold a seat at the top table of European Football at the organisation's annual congress in Helsinki today.

"I'll reflect on that in terms of what it means for Irish football," he told RTÉ Sport."I hope it can make Irish football stronger. I hope I can make European football stronger."It certainly won't deter me in any part of my role as CEO of the FAI.

"The board of UEFA is made of 15 or 16 members coming from different national associations.

"There's no conflict. If anything, I think it's a really positive addition for the Football Association of Ireland."

The election comes amid a crisis at home for Delaney as the*Republic of Ireland Women's squad have threatened to withdraw from playing because of a lack of support and resources from the FAI.

The 49-year-old Waterford native was among the 12 candidates seeking one of eight vacancies for a four year term.*

Delaney received 48 votes, the second highest of any candidate behind Sweden's Karl-Erik Nilsson, and his new role with UEFA is reported to be worth €100,000 a year, on top of his reported €360,000 a year FAI salary.

Delaney has previously served on various UEFA committees and is currently a member of its National Team Competitions Group.

"I'm thrilled. To represent your country in Europe at the highest level in UEFA is something I'm very proud of.

"I'm very proud to represent Ireland and the grassroots.

"The vote was very high at 48. Probably (more than expected), to be honest. Your aim is to get 28, 28 gets you elected.

"It's a lovely endorsement from my colleagues."

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2017/0405/865339-delaney/

FAI chief John Delaney apologises for singing IRA song

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/fai-chief-john-delaney-apologises-for-singing-ira-song-30773108.html

FAI’s John Delaney ‘should face questions’ over €5m Fifa payment

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/08/fai-john-delaney-questions-fifa-payment