Rangers v Motherwell- April's Full day

I have only seen him versus Rangers, albeit always causing problems for the defence. I suspect that you could compile a gey long leet of players who give that back line (the usual suspects, not Saturday's improvisational troupe) some difficulty.

He is certainly worth consideration, but signing players because they look good against us, particularly in our current incarnation, is likely to be fraught.

I've watched him several times - not just against us - and he'd be a useful squad player to have. Something different when we need a focal point in attack.

A mate of mine (pity him) is a 'Well fan and he says Moult is well worth the outlay.

Moult has played 28 games for struggling Motherwell, scored 15 goals and assisted another 6. He's 24-year old Englishman with a contract till summer 2018.

The thing with these chaps is that players will give an extra bit against the bigger teams to impress and get a transfer. No problem here. What we often see though is that these players suddenly - with us - find themselves in an environment where THEY have to take responsibility and not run after the odd lump forward or bully their way through a packed penalty area every now and then. When you have to be creative and intelligent against a host of defenders snapping at your ankles from the half-way line onwards. How many can make that step up?

It will be very interesting to see what sort of changes PC will ring in the summer and whether he looks at the British/Scottish market.

You mean when they come to Rangers they Moult their skins.:facepalm:

I have an admission to make. When Kenny Miller threw in that cross for the Garner goal I was in the middle of shouting. " Och Miller ya diddy what kind of ball is that." When the ball hit the net from Garner I was amazed and felt pretty stupid.

I've watched him several times - not just against us - and he'd be a useful squad player to have. Something different when we need a focal point in attack.

A mate of mine (pity him) is a 'Well fan and he says Moult is well worth the outlay.

I'm not going to disagree. 15 goals from 28 for M/well seems a more than decent return.

Why not?

Should we not be looking at a better calibre player than Moult? Scoring goals in the SPFL proves nothing

Or the flip side would be..... "We need someone that can score goals in the SPFL.... Moult does that with an unfashionable team - so he is proven in this league" ?

Should we not be looking at a better calibre player than Moult? Scoring goals in the SPFL proves nothing

Well, it depends on the budget. Players can be signed from lesser teams and do the business.

Bizarre game really.

First 30mins or so we were awful along with conceding another dreadful goal.

Second period the manager was forced into changes but I thought they were OTT. Sure stick on Halliday for Wallace and even MOH for Hodson but to not replace Hill with Senderos was a huge gamble and - if we're honest - if it wasn't for Wes it wouldn't have paid off.

To be fair to the manager though, what the changes did do was completely alter the dynamic of the game which was their purpose I suppose. It created an exciting end-to-end contest and we could have scored 2 or 3 more ourselves so Pedro may argue his changes did work.

All in all, a draw was probably a fair result and with Hearts and St Johnstone both losing it should help us secure 3rd. However, what I took from the match was again a severe lack of quality and motivation in the team. Our key players (Waghorn, McKay and Hyndman) all struggled and no-one else really took a grip of things for me.

Kudos to Wes, Toral, Kiernan and Halliday who I thought all did pretty well after the break despite being isolated more often than not by the tactical confusion and odd bit of panic.

I know I am picking on only one line Frankie but I think that is very harsh.

Yes, Wes made a couple of fantastic saves - but so too did Sampson at the other end. Both teams could have scored 3 or 4 in the 2nd half but for some excellent keeping - so to suggest that without Wes it wouldn't have paid off is to ignore the contribution made at the other end by their keeper.

It was interesting, exciting and nerve-wracking - but the tempo we had in the 2nd half was excellent - you kind of got the feeling that the "front 6" were like "shit, we only have one defender - we need to press high to keep Motherwell on the back foot and keep the ball in their half" - to the extent that we saw a much improved tempo and determination it worked. However, tempo and determination should be two requisites in ANY game and always from the start. Shouldn't need to be down 1-0 at HT or have 3/4 of your defense removed to see a reaction.

The same way that the 1st game didn't really show us what Pedro can do, neither did this one. He will need 4 or 5 games and 6 weeks or so to even just start to stamp his authority on this squad - and even then..... if you are dealt lemons sometimes it is incredibly difficult to make lemonade from them. At the end of the day he still has the same players at his disposal that MW was getting very little from. He needs at least a couple of windows to be able to bring in the players that he wants in his system.

Or the flip side would be..... "We need someone that can score goals in the SPFL.... Moult does that with an unfashionable team - so he is proven in this league" ?

Scoring goals for Rangers would be much harder than scoring for Motherwell

Scoring goals for Rangers would be much harder than scoring for Motherwell

You don't know that for sure with a new manager. There are many variables that go into that equation, on both sides.