Fernando Ricksen honoured by thousands of fans at Rangers and England legends clash

Thousands of Rangers supporters turned out in support of club icon Fernando Ricksen at Fleetwood.

The Dutchman, who is fighting his battle with Motor neuron disease, received a standing ovation as he greeted the crowd ahead of a match between Rangers and England legends to raise money for his MND foundation.

Around 5000 Rangers fans watched on from the stands at Fleetwood Town's Highbury stadium as Ricksen was brought on to the pitch before the game in wheelchair.

The treble winner looked emotional as he met the players taking part in the game before waving to the crowd.

Rangers players including Barry Ferguson, Michael Mols, Arthur Numan and Gordon Durie represented their old club, while an England select managed by Paul Ince featured names such as Mark Walters, Darren Anderton and Lee Hendrie.

Ricksen, who spent six years in Glasgow, announced he was suffering from MND in 2013.

Video here: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15182033.WATCH__Fernando_Ricksen_honoured_by_thousands_of_Rangers_fans_at_legends_clash/

Very sad to see that photograph, he always gave his all for the Club.

Sorry that is totally wrong in my opinion he did his best for the club for 1 full season and the rest he was booz'n and cruis'n. I wouldn't wish yhis sickness on any one but to say he always gave his all is rewriting history.

Sorry that is totally wrong in my opinion he did his best for the club for 1 full season and the rest he was booz'n and cruis'n. I wouldn't wish yhis sickness on any one but to say he always gave his all is rewriting history.

Was just about to say the same, although I think his good patch of form was restricted to half a season, not a whole season, which coincided with new contract negotiations.