Financial Review

I'm no good with account figures but one thing, where is the 2.6 million or whatever in soft loans shown ? How can there be a profit ?

The loans are in the balance sheet and don't affect profit.

To put it into simplistic terms, the bank loans you £100. You have the £100 in your pocket. You make neither a profit or loss. The bank charges you £5, and you pay that. You still owe the £100 but you have made a loss of £5. Your balance sheet would show £95 of cash, £100 of loans and a loss of £5.

If the bank doesn't charge you any interest then you still have the £100 and have made neither a profit or loss but still owe the £100. Your balance sheet would show £100 cash and £100 of loans.

Apologies if it's oversimplistic.

I'm no good with account figures but one thing, where is the 2.6 million or whatever in soft loans shown ? How can there be a profit ?

As BD sets out, a loan as such does not affect your profit and loss account; however the cost of the loan i.e. the interest you pay is a cost, so that affects your P&L. If no interest is paid on the loans then it has no effect on on your P&L.

Edited by BrahimHemdani

A loan is a "Balance Sheet" item. Profit is an income statement item.

Two different reports. The detail on the club website looks solely at the income statement.

The £451K which has appeared for the first time in our accounts is worrying without further detail. I am sure C1872 are on the case already to get an explanation. I'm sure it's nothing untoward, but if it's to do with Ashley for example, we would be better knowing about it, for full transparency as we were promised.

Nearly half a million pounds of "other charges" with no comparable last year as TB points out, is a lot of dosh, even in £16 million turnover.

It is pleasing to note

Revenue for the period was £16.3m, an overall increase of £5.3m over the comparative period.

This was a result of three main factors:-

1. enhanced attendance; increasing ticketing and hospitality revenue by £3.5m;
  2.  the return to the SPFL Premiership this season; generating a £0.8m increase in the central
    funds received by the Club;
  3.  a much improved performance in sponsorship and commercial revenues; aided by being
    back in the top league.

However

Operating expenses, excluding amortisation of players’ registrations, increased by £4.1m compared

to the comparative period.

This increase is driven by three main factors:-

1. a substantial increase in the player pool costs, to allow the team to be competitive in the
    Premiership; (not all of it effective!)
  2. an increase in matchday costs, such as policing and stewarding, reflecting the higher profile
    of this season’s matches; (unavoidable)
  3. an increase to overheads in the business as the Board continues to re-establish best
    practices throughout the Club. (understandable)

Edited by BrahimHemdani

BH, with regards to player pool increases and "not all of it being effective" - that will be the same at ANY club. That said, we had a pretty poor season in the transfer market :(

BH, with regards to player pool increases and "not all of it being effective" - that will be the same at ANY club. That said, we had a pretty poor season in the transfer market :(

Well, fair enough, but we are discussing Rangers Interim Accounts not any other club.

A certain other club not a million miles away may have more room for error.

Whilst we may have been unlucky with injuries etc, that will always be a factor; but It is well documented that only one of our 11 signings is a regular in the team, and good as he has been, realistically, he is not part of our future.

That said, I have a strong feeling that Pedro won't be hunting in the English League 1 or 2 and that unlike MW he will not bring in players who sometimes can't even get a place on the bench.

Edited by BrahimHemdani