[FT] Celtic 1 - 1 Rangers (Hill 87)

Ewan Murray's write-up in the Grauniad predicted that the penalty claim would be used to deflect from a poor Celtic performance but that, in spite of their claims "The reality is this was not nearly as obvious a penalty as Celtic’s contingent would have onlookers believe". About the size of it in a game that didn't really have much serious controversy: I'd probably have been claiming for it if it had been us but the idea that it was some stonewaller is utter bollocks.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/12/celtic-rangers-scottish-premiership-match-report

One look at forums such as kerrydale st shows what the truth of the matter is - while slaughtering all but a couple of their own players they just can't bring themselves to give any credit at all to Rangers players or their performance.

Of course within a few hours the whole thing boils down to yet another masonic referee and that's the only thing they'll ever remember about yesterdays match - once again a bent referee cheated them.

I hope the sellik team do the same thing. A surprise awaits in the cup game if they do.

One look at forums such as kerrydale st shows what the truth of the matter is - while slaughtering all but a couple of their own players they just can't bring themselves to give any credit at all to Rangers players or their performance.

Of course within a few hours the whole thing boils down to yet another masonic referee and that's the only thing they'll ever remember about yesterdays match - once again a bent referee cheated them.

I hope the sellik team do the same thing. A surprise awaits in the cup game if they do.

I would guess what's disturbing them as much as anything else is that before this they thought the semi final was a foregone conclusion and that cup is effectively all that's required to secure a treble. Now it's not so clear cut as they liked to think it was and how painful will it be to have it snatched away by a depleted Rangers that's been through the mill over the past 5 years. A repeat of their humiliation last year when defeated by a Championship level Rangers.

I would guess what's disturbing them as much as anything else is that before this they thought the semi final was a foregone conclusion and that cup is effectively all that's required to secure a treble. Now it's not so clear cut as they liked to think it was and how painful will it be to have it snatched away by a depleted Rangers that's been through the mill over the past 5 years. A repeat of their humiliation last year when defeated by a Championship level Rangers.

I'll be honest, I didn't give us much hope before yesterday and awaited the cup game with dread.

Now, although not saying we are by any means certainties for the cup match, I think we have a better chance than I did before.

We showed yesterday that they can be got at. More importantly for me, the centre of our defence looked more solid.

Dermot Gallagher will no doubt upset the manks and place his double glazing at severe risk -

" DERMOT'S VERDICT: I think it's a foul, but the picture from behind the incident shows where the referee is, and he can't see, he has no idea if he's played the ball or not. In that situation, Madden doesn't know if he's played the ball or not, he can't gamble and can't give a penalty. "

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10800577/ref-watch-should-celtic-have-had-a-last-minute-penalty-against-rangers

I'll be honest, I didn't give us much hope before yesterday and awaited the cup game with dread.

Now, although not saying we are by any means certainties for the cup match, I think we have a better chance than I did before.

We showed yesterday that they can be got at. More importantly for me, the centre of our defence looked more solid.

The most pleasing thing was the effort put into the match from our players, and again poor finishing cost us a win!,the question is why are they not like that in every match?

Second class lying tramp and full time beggar, the fool JJ has this to say,

" Celtic were lacklustre yesterday. Had it not been for the reflexes and positioning of Craig Gordon, who denied Waghorn from close range on two occasions, their unbeaten run could have come to an end. However on the balance of play no-one, other than one-eyed blood-wading bigots, would have begrudged them the three points. A blood-wading one-eyed bigot saw to it that honours would be even when he denied Celtic’s Leigh Griffiths a penalty. Griffiths was about to pull the trigger on a close range shot. A shot that nine times out of ten would have resulted in a goal. Clint Hill, from behind, lunged at him, catching him waist-high, to deny him this opportunity. Hill did not touch the ball. It was as clear a penalty as you are ever likely to see. A professional foul that the assistant referee flagged. Bobby Madden, as I predicted on this site, is so dyed-in-the-wool pro-Rangers that he was never going to award Celtic a penalty. I predicted that he would cheat to subvert the result. I knew he would revert to WATP type for the big calls. He did not disappoint me." :bouncy2:

He also quotes Griffiths,

" “It was a penalty. He has not touched the ball and the referee is asking me afterwards if he touched the ball. If he has not touched the ball he has got to give a penalty or book me for diving. I am going to put the ball in the back of the net. He has caught me at waist height, he has not touched the ball. It is a decision that cost us the three points. Bobby Madden is the only one in the stadium who doesn’t think it is a penalty but it is over now, we can’t dwell on it. It is another point towards the title.”

Is there anybody else in the whole wide world who's saying that Hill didn't touch the ball ? I'd reckon replays show he clearly did touch the ball. The whole debate was over Hill having to go through Griffiths to make that touch on the ball. To sum up, Griffiths is telling lies.

He's also wrong even on his own lying terms: "It is a decision that cost us the three points" = how does he know. it could well have been a penalty that was missed. Just ask Fartson and the Greek Tranny re late penalties v us.

As for the cretin, JJ: "t was as clear a penalty as you are ever likely to see" Not according to ex-Celtic manager, Strachan and at least two ex-referees.

Edited by SteveC
JJ bit

They were awful yesterday and not nearly as up for it as we were. This is likely to change for the Cup Final. Certainly, though, they "can be got at".

Edited by SteveC

Dermot Gallagher will no doubt upset the manks and place his double glazing at severe risk -

" DERMOT'S VERDICT: I think it's a foul, but the picture from behind the incident shows where the referee is, and he can't see, he has no idea if he's played the ball or not. In that situation, Madden doesn't know if he's played the ball or not, he can't gamble and can't give a penalty. "

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10800577/ref-watch-should-celtic-have-had-a-last-minute-penalty-against-rangers

You'd think Hill had attacked him with a machete, judged by the way going on about it.

They were awful yesterday and not nearly as up for it as we were. This is likely to change for the Cup Final. Certainly, though, they "can be got at".

I don't know if it could be said they weren't up for it because they had every bit as much motivation as we did to win this match and maybe even more so. Were they so bad or simply negated by us? They were at home and on a record breaking run of wins which if it were to be halted they certainly didn't want it to be halted by us above anybody else. If they can't get themselves up for that I feel even more confident about the semi final because we will have more options available than we did for this game and we will be more than up for it.

It's a passport into Europe and a much needed money spinner aside from the fact it takes the shine off a good season for them and adds some shine to a relatively poor one for us. You would also have to guess the new manager will be more than keen to win that match in the opening weeks of his tenure while the players will have the added incentive of knowing that they're playing for a place in his team for next season with a Summer transfer window approaching.