Kiernan Loses Appeal

Kiernan will not face Celtic after losing red card appeal

Andy Coyle

9 mins ago

The Rangers defender failed to overturn red card received against St Johnstone.

Rangers centre-back Rob Kiernan has failed in his appeal against a red card and is ruled*out of the Glasgow derby against Celtic.

The defender was dismissed for a sliding challenge from behind on Graham Cummins with 12 minutes remaining in the 3-2 Scottish Premiership win over St Johnstone on March 1.

The straight red for serious foul play meant Kiernan would automatically miss the following two games but Rangers appeal left him free to face Hamilton in the Scottish Cup on Saturday.

That appeal was heard at Hampden on Thursday but the independent panel upheld the original decision. Now, he will sit out the Premiership matches against Celtic on Sunday and Hamilton six days later.

The sending off came when the Ibrox side were 2-1 up. Steven Anderson went on to equalise nine minutes later but Emerson Hyndman sealed the points with a stoppage-time winner.

Caretaker manager Graeme Murty said: "Rob made the referee make a decision. We will have to put more meat on the bones for the appeal when we go to the board but I think it's definitely worth an appeal."

https://stv.tv/sport/football/1382630-kiernan-will-not-face-celtic-after-losing-red-card-appeal/?utm_content=buffer54da1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I don't know why we appealed that to be honest. I thought it was a red at the time and as with many of Kiernan's misdemeanours, it was a baffling decision by him and a totally needless foul to give away.

I don't know why we appealed that to be honest. I thought it was a red at the time and as with many of Kiernan's misdemeanours, it was a baffling decision by him and a totally needless foul to give away.

Agreed and a total waste of much needed money.

Certainly an orange card. Not worth appealing but I guess they thought it was worth a punt ahead of the OF.

I get the view that it was worth a try, but does it not just waste time & money and potentially prejudice future appeals by making us look like a club who appeals everything? Just speculating.

What was it,3000 pound to appeal?