[FT] Rangers 6 (Waghorn 33 pen; Garner 48, 88, 90; Toral 77; Hill 82) - 0 Hamilton

As I look out of the window the sun is scorching down. The weather forecast has told me that it can reach 15 degrees today. What a difference in how I feel after days and days of wind, rain and grey sky's. It is a bit like supporting Rangers really. Wednesday night's game against St Johnstone was like a ray of sunshine after weeks of dark skies and depressions. You can also feel a completely different mood on the Rangers websites. At last there was a glimmer of footballing sunshine. A sign that this team could actually fight for a win. That they could score a goal before the opposition had sunk one into the back of our onion bag. It was not all scorching sun and nobody is running for the factor 20 just yet, but there were few signs that spring and better things could be in the air

With all the rumours that a new manager or coach will be appointed soon I actually feel a bit sorry for Graham Murty. If the rumours are true this will be his last game as caretaker manager. I had a feeling he was actually starting to get things turned in a positive direction. Don't get me wrong I don't think he could all of a sudden turn this team into a team of world beaters but I actually think he had spotted the biggest flaws in this team. It looked like he had spotted that Martin Waghorn was our best striker and certainly our most prolific goal scorer over the last 2 seasons. Why Mark Warburton thought that sticking his best scorer constantly out on the right wing was a good idea beats me to be honest. Then when Waghorn failed to hit the heights out on the wing, or at least he only sporadically hit the heights, he was benched rather than moved to his preferred position as central striker. In the middle we had Kenny Miller or Joe Garner who mostly were not scoring on a regular basis. Yes Miller was getting the odd goal but Garner's hit rate was like waiting for civilisation to appear on route 50 across Nevada in America. The road is called the loneliest road in America. I like Garners style but his goals were very few and far apart. A striker has to be scoring or at least having an overload on assists to keep his place in a team.

In the midfield we have been sadly missing a defensive midfielder. Halliday has been more of handicap as a help of late and Warburton's loyalty to him( or only option) possibly also played a part in Warburton's downfall. One wonders how Joey Barton may have progressed in that position if Warburton did not have a meltdown with him. He seems to be doing reasonably well at Burnley. I actually often asked if a defensive midfielder could actually make that much difference to a team but you only have to look at N`Golo Cante of Chelsea and look at the difference he has made to the Chelsea team and also look where Leicester City are this season to say it is probably the most important position on the park. After unsuccessfully trying Hyndman and Halliday together in a deeper role against Inverness, on Wednesday against the Saints he put Toral into that role. While supporters opinions differ on his performance I personally thought that after a few slack, almost deadly passes, he actually came on to a reasonable game. Hyndman certainly benefited from playing in that more advanced role and was superb in taking deservedly the Man of the Match award.

Probably the most pleasing thing on the night was we showed a bit of fight and grit that had been missing for weeks. We only really saw that fighting spirit against Aberdeen and Hearts at Ibrox earlier in the season after being beaten by them in our away games. One thing is for sure when we take to the field on Saturday at 12,30pm against Hamilton Accademicals in the Scottish cup we will need to show we are up for a battle. Hamiltons whole game is built on sitting deep and fighting for every ball hoping to get that breakaway goal. I watched them beat Aberdeen on Friday night and Aberdeen were hitting them with everything they could. Aberdeen even finished the game with four attackers but still could not break down the resolute Hamilton defence. The Hamilton players were throwing their bodies in front of the ball. The match statistics showed that Aberdeen had 70% of the play. They had 21corners with 11 shots off target and only 3 on target Hamilton had 1 shot on target and 1 shot off target. The one statistic that was on Hamilton's side was inevitably the most important one. Hamilton goals scored 1 with Aberdeen goals scored 0. The old one blow sucker punch.

I don't think Hamilton will or even can change their tactics. They will be looking to do the same to us as they did to Aberdeen. While we will dominate possession Hamilton will be looking for that same sucker punch. Lets face it, over the last few seasons we have regularly been a sitting duck for the old sucker punch so let us hope that we are alert to it. We have the technical ability to score a barrow-load against them but games are not only won by technical ability. We have to also match them with grit and determination. I am not saying we should get embroiled in a slogging match as that will be in their favour,but we have to box clever and show passion and the will to win. If we do that, and carry that bit of luck that has sometimes deserted us we should advance to the Scottish cup Semi-final that could throw up another meeting with Celtic or Hibs to copy last years semi-final win against Celtic or revenge our Cup final defeat by Hibs. Let us hope both but we have to beat Hamilton first.

I think Murty will keep the same team as Wednesday with the exception of Wilson coming in for the banned Kiernen who was shown a red card on Wednesday for a stupid late lunge.

That will be.

Foderingham

Tavernier Wilson Hill Wallace.

Holt Toral

Hyndman

McKay Waghorn Miller

Hopefully the sun keeps his Rangers cap on for a while yet, and milder, brighter times are on the way.

Thanks Graham!

Rest of the cup quarter final reads like this ...

Hibernian vs Ayr United

Celtic vs St. Mirren

Aberdeen vs Partick Thistle

Going by the form book, it should be four home wins. But it is the cup, where the wee clubs might actually try something special, out-of-their-skinish and go beyond expectation. Let's hope it won't happen at Ibrox.

I'd like to see Joe Dodoo given a shot for once...his record is very impressive when called on.

Why Murty declined from 'shaking it up' when taking over the reins tells us all something about 'instruction' from upstairs.

I'm pretty sure the new manager when he comes in and looks at ability up front - Dodoo will walk into the side.

Next season will see massive changes to the squad, I'm confident Dodoo will still be here though...in an important capacity. I really like this player and can see greater things ahead for him.

I'd like to see Joe Dodoo given a shot for once...his record is very impressive when called on.

Why Murty declined from 'shaking it up' when taking over the reins tells us all something about 'instruction' from upstairs.

I'm pretty sure the new manager when he comes in and looks at ability up front - Dodoo will walk into the side.

Next season will see massive changes to the squad, I'm confident Dodoo will still be here though...in an important capacity. I really like this player and can see greater things ahead for him.

Hopefully he will be like Barrie McKay and given a clean sheet to prove himself with the new manager. It is a strange affair he is not getting a chance. Even after he scored 2 goals he was dropped for the next game. Has he actually played since?

Im "wondering" if putting Senderos or Tavernier in a sweeper role / defensive midfielder role would be better than one of the current midfielders, at least they would just sit and defend when needed. Its a position that hasnt worked out with any fit player this season and the 3 that was bought for it didnt or havent kicked a ball (Barton, Rossiter, Crooks) In saying that Ive never thought it should be vital for a Rangers team when playing a side like Hamilton - no disrespect - but if we playing one then perhaps try a defender.

In saying that when playing sides like Hamilton at home and with the players we have I still like an old fashioned 4-4-2. The right side is a bit unclear but Forrester might be the answer in this formation, or even Windass eventually.

Foderingham

Tavernier Wilson Hill Wallace

Forrester Hyndman Holt McKay

Miller Waghorn

Edited by Gribz

I wrote on a previous thread that we should try Kiernan in the holding midfielder role, but I agree we need to find someone with a defensive mindset and who reads the game well. Senderos could do that you'd like to think.

As long as McKay and Hyndman get to play through the middle together we will be fine. And as much as I like Miller, he needs to take his place on the bench and allow Waghorn/Dodoo the chance to fill that central striker position. I'm sure we will see that change this weekend.

I would be rather surprised if we field a line up that is different to Wednesday's. Toral did his job in the holding role admirably, he only needs to cut out the odd stray pass. He, Holt and Hyndman looked solid enough and would have more football ability than Halliday or the abovementioned Senderos. What I would like to see is us switching to a back three if either fullback ventures forward, as we need to cut out any counter-attacking thread.

I'd also argue for Waghorn through the middle, with the strict order to stay there and not venture to the half-way line. Since Miller will be a defo starter, there is no real need to debate any inclusion of Garner, Dodoo or Forrester from the start.

We should really try to nail them early on and then use fast players to hit them on the counter if they come out and try to play some attack-minded footie themselves.

That's probably true re Senderos and Toral. You have to wonder what happened to Senderos when he left Arsenal!!!! He's a shell of the player that wore the Arsenal shirt, and that's not just down to his age.

Hopefully he will be like Barrie McKay and given a clean sheet to prove himself with the new manager. It is a strange affair he is not getting a chance. Even after he scored 2 goals he was dropped for the next game. Has he actually played since?

After his brace at Firhill he started the next game, played OK in a poor team performance but got hooked after an hour and hasn't started a game since. When scoring goals has been a major problem for us all season, it is utterly amazing that this central striker hasn't had a fair chance to see what he can do when all others around him have failed so badly.

After his brace at Firhill he started the next game, played OK in a poor team performance but got hooked after an hour and hasn't started a game since. When scoring goals has been a major problem for us all season, it is utterly amazing that this central striker hasn't had a fair chance to see what he can do when all others around him have failed so badly.

What baffles me is why 37 year old Kenny Miller with just 6 league goals seems a certain starter every game. And the fact he probably won't be there next season