It is an emotive subject but the footballers suffering from it at a reasonably early age might provide a basis for believing heading could be to blame.But if you look at the age of McNeill it being highlighted as a possible cause it is less plausible.Why?, my wife's Aunt who was a similar age never headed a football in her life suffered from the condition years ago before her death.John Greig who is a similar age does not appear to have it and no doubt headed many a football in his life.

With regards to heading a football politicians will have to ban boxing,rugby and many other contact sports which either involve heading a ball or receiving a punch and getting whiplash through contact which can result in concussion.

Anybody think that if the doctors and medical researchers find a link between heading a football and dementia that politicians will try to ban heading from the game .

We're ahead of the curve then... :D (No pun intended.)

Nat Lofthouse, Tommy Lawton, Willie Thornton (think of all those Waddell crosses) didn't suffer from dementia as far as I know nor does Jimmy Millar.

Another great header of the ball, Willie Bauld of the Hearts, died very young but I don't know what he died of. Jeff Astle of WBA died at sixty and he definitely had brain disease which at the time was related to his football career.

On the other hand I can think of plenty defenders who liked nothing better than heading the ball clear for ninety minutes who thankfully are still with us.

Talking of the fearless Jimmy Millar of the Rangers wearing number 9, go to youtube and look for "Jimmy Millar of the Rangers" by the Followers. These days, nostalgia is even better than it used to be.