Dundee FC managing director indicates move from Dens Park

Always thought Arbroath, Montrose, Forfar and Brechin should have joined together and be Angus United. 4 teams within this small area is whats wrong with Scottish Football.

There are too many teams in Scottish "Senior" football, not just in Angus.

There are too many teams in Scottish "Senior" football, not just in Angus.

That's my point but you cant merge teams who are say 60 miles away from each other. But when you get clubs a stone throw away there is a great argument for it. The only stopping area is traditional fans who want to keep their club, but to hover around the lower two leagues and play poor opposition in the winter - I cant work out why they wouldn't want to merge.

The Dundee one is tough - OK its a small city but they have been top flight more often than not.

Wonder what would have happened if Wallace Mercer had managed to buy Hibs back in the 90s - after a few years one club in Edinburgh would have grown. But Id have imagined you would get the scenario like AFC Wimbledon and Hibs fans would have started another Hibs.

Former Dundee United Director, John Bennett owns Dens Park, which be bought when they were last in crisis and has leased to them for 25 years initially at a nil rent. The full rent has now kicked in hence increasing Dundee's cash wows.

Apparently the Americans who bought the Camperdown site have not put any money into the Club.

I'm told the local paper has already flirted with a light blue strip for "City".

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/05/20/john-bennett-steps-dundee-united-board/

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/opinion/rab-douglas/379480/rab-douglas-dens-park-lease-may-problem-dundee-want-move/

That's my point but you cant merge teams who are say 60 miles away from each other. But when you get clubs a stone throw away there is a great argument for it. The only stopping area is traditional fans who want to keep their club, but to hover around the lower two leagues and play poor opposition in the winter - I cant work out why they wouldn't want to merge.

The Dundee one is tough - OK its a small city but they have been top flight more often than not.

Wonder what would have happened if Wallace Mercer had managed to buy Hibs back in the 90s - after a few years one club in Edinburgh would have grown. But Id have imagined you would get the scenario like AFC Wimbledon and Hibs fans would have started another Hibs.

You would have to look at the central belt, and at Fife, for starters. The more one thinks about, the more one approaches a franchise model, which would be unacceptable, for a variety of reasons, none of which relate to the quality, success, or entertainment value of the football, or to the status of the Clubs.