Well who's next

I was coming round to the idea of Alex Neil, but if he is indeed a Celtic fan then in the words of the sacked McGhee: "Get that tae f***!"

I'd prefer a more tactically astute manager, and certainly one able to change with the opposition; for me, Monk is a good option in that regard. Rowett is a bit too pragmatic for me, and he doesn't really have a philosophy -- certainly not one that would fit with what, I hope, we are trying to do. I don't know much about the Portuguese guy -- much to my annoyance -- but any foreigner must be more tactically astute than any British manager, but then might not understand the British game. DoF has to be appointed first, though.

Edited by Rousseau

Billy Hill's book for "Permanent" Rangers' Manager has Alex Neil shortening even more: now @2/1, level pegging, it must be said with Pedro Caixinha.

Big Eck is @3s.

(Ffs!! Did we not do our porridge a few years ago?)

Edited by Uilleam

I don't get the interest in Pedro Caixinha.

10/11 - took Leiria to 10th in Portuguese league

11/12 - took CD Nacional to 7th in Portuguese league

2013 - 2015 - did fairly well in Mexico with Santos Lguna but this was an established club that reached the final of the CONCACAF Champions League in 11/12.

Currently with Al-Gharafa in Qatar who are 5th, 16 points of the top of the league after 22 games.

Other than a past recommendation from Mourinho, what is it that the board are seeing?

it's a bit left field.

Seems to have graduated from Largs, which is only Scottish connection (if such it is).

Unless he wants out of the Middle East (or has been told to find a new club), and his agent, whose name we don't know, has thrown his cv into a/any passing hat (magic or otherwise), it's difficult to fathom.

Here is The Rough Guide to Caixinha:

So who exactly is Pedro Caixinha?

Here is a handy guide about the potential new Rangers manager...

1) Caixinha hails from Portugal and is 46-years-old. He began his career as a goalkeeper but retired at 23 and took up coaching, becoming Sporting Lisbon assistant in 2004.

2) He has held assistant posts in Greece, Saudi Arabia and Romania, and became a manager in his own right in 2010 with Uniao Leiria in his native Portugal.

3) Caixinha's biggest achievement was managing Mexican side Santos Laguna to two league titles in 2014 and 2015.

4) He took his coaching badges in Glasgow in 2011, sitting a module in the same class as ex-Rangers assistant David Weir, before attending a seminar held by Sir Alex Ferguson. (Presumably Largs.)

5) Caixinha is currently in charge of Qatari side Al Gharafa, a position he has held since late 2015.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/01/five-facts-about-rangers-managerial-contender-pedro-caixinha/

Edited by Uilleam

While from FF, I had the same thoughts when Eck was commentating on our game a wee while ago and being asked whether "he would"

I looked and listened to Eck for a couple of minutes when he was doing the Morton game punditry and he came accross as a man who should be closer to his slippers and armchair, rather than in our dug-out.

Qualities I feel we need for the DoF & head coach roles:

- good communicator

- Proven Tactical knowledge

- Command respect

- Effective training methods

- Ability to identify errors & adjust accordingly

- Clear vision of how the team should operate

- Clear vision of the type/style of play to achieve team/club goals

Now, he's the thing....many of these traits apply to both positions. Therefore, both roles must be able to work VERY closely together in order to achieve the stated outcomes.

Stuff like tactics should be discussed regularly between the coach & DoF - whats working & whats not. Team selection should be discussed weekly before a match - the Coach should be able to clearly justify to the DoF why any one player is in the team. That's not saying that the DoF decides the starting 11, but he should be consulted and be given the opportunity to question the Coaches decisions. Ultimately it will be the DoF's responsibility to ensure that the team is playing in a particular manner (ie. winning), therefore he should be able to question if/why an under performing player is regularly included in the squad.

Who should be doing the jobs - I've no idea, but I think a balance of Old head/experience for the DoF role, with a younger head coach seems the most likely option.

There's no way Eck is the answer to the medium/long-term manager question. I just don't get that thinking at all, unless literally nobody else better qualified has applied for the job which I don't believe for one minute. Short term I still think he'd shore things up and make us more difficult to beat, but maybe with the Board taking their time on this they've also revised their expectations for the season and will be happy to see us finish in the top four meaning Europa League football?