Andrew Davies Ross County - Interesting Article

Going three at the back with the current personnel would be suicide.

If you look how we play, when inposseession of the ball, we generally have two (as in 2) at the back, with a central midfielder ahead of them. Usually, our fullbacks are farther up the back than that midfielder. Thus, if we put Hodson on the right, Senderos/Hill in the middle and Wilson on the left, we would actually strengthen our usual shape at the back. I'd keep Wallace on the left, and who is taking up the right slot depends on the opposition. 3-5-2 with the players on the "wings" with the order to track back as well.

Edited by der Berliner

If you look how we play, when inposseession of the ball, we generally have two (as in 2) at the back, with a central midfielder ahead of them. Usually, our fullbacks are farther up the back than that midfielder. Thus, if we put Hodson on the right, Senderos/Hill in the middle and Wilson on the left, we would actually strengthen our usual shape at the back. I'd keep Wallace on the left, and who is taking up the right slot depends on the opposition. 3-5-2 with the players on the "wings" with the order to track back as well.

No we wouldn't strengthen it one bit, all those players lack the necessary pace to play three at the back. It works for Chelsea because they have the calibre of player to suit it.

Anyway after the whistle is blown we basically move straight to a 2-5-3 as it is.

Part of the problem with Garner is that we play with inverted wingers. It is very rare that McKay/Waghorn will get to the bye line and get a ball into the danger area on their weaker foot for Garner to attack. When either of those two receive the ball, their immediate instinct is to cut in-field onto their stronger side. In the previous game McKay was ripping apart the Motherwell RB, so Ross County just put two men on him which always forced him to play the ball backwards to Wallace. Result, McKay gets substituted as he was totally ineffective. Garner gets pulled as he gets no service. Not difficult in this day of video analysis to negate our strengths. The defence is horrible, with error after error being made, but as has been said elsewhere, if we are scoring more often, then the odd goal being conceded does not harm our points difference, only the goal difference.

Part of the problem with Garner is that we play with inverted wingers. It is very rare that McKay/Waghorn will get to the bye line and get a ball into the danger area on their weaker foot for Garner to attack. When either of those two receive the ball, their immediate instinct is to cut in-field onto their stronger side. In the previous game McKay was ripping apart the Motherwell RB, so Ross County just put two men on him which always forced him to play the ball backwards to Wallace. Result, McKay gets substituted as he was totally ineffective. Garner gets pulled as he gets no service. Not difficult in this day of video analysis to negate our strengths. The defence is horrible, with error after error being made, but as has been said elsewhere, if we are scoring more often, then the odd goal being conceded does not harm our points difference, only the goal difference.

Good point Davie. Last season we would continually switch the front three around, with Waghorn/Miller/McKay all taking up other positions along the front line, thus if our opponents chose to man-mark, they were never sure which player they were up against in that period of the game, and if one of their defenders was getting the better of us, the continual changing would disrupt their momentum. This season it has happened from time to time, but nowhere near the same regularity as last, and on Saturday I dont recall it happening at all.

I hate this inverted wingers nonsense, especially when the likes of Waghorn is so one-footed, it surely makes it easier to defend against when you can show him outside only and double up on the inside. I have never worked out why professional footballers dont work every day on their weaknesses. Within 6 months they could be two-footed to a decent level. One hour per day using only their weak foot practising short passes, long passes, shooting, trapping and control.

Good point Davie. Last season we would continually switch the front three around, with Waghorn/Miller/McKay all taking up other positions along the front line, thus if our opponents chose to man-mark, they were never sure which player they were up against in that period of the game, and if one of their defenders was getting the better of us, the continual changing would disrupt their momentum. This season it has happened from time to time, but nowhere near the same regularity as last, and on Saturday I dont recall it happening at all.

I hate this inverted wingers nonsense, especially when the likes of Waghorn is so one-footed, it surely makes it easier to defend against when you can show him outside only and double up on the inside. I have never worked out why professional footballers dont work every day on their weaknesses. Within 6 months they could be two-footed to a decent level. One hour per day using only their weak foot practising short passes, long passes, shooting, trapping and control.

Part of the problem is with whipping balls into a packed penalty area. An awful lot of what Warburton has tried to do has been to pull defences about to mitigate this. It clearly hasn't worked though. Agree on the two-footed thing though. My old man spent his footballing days with Spartans. He could kick the ball well with both feet and he wasn't getting paid to play football all fucking day.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

The "two footed " thing has p****d me off for so long,as professional players,unless you have the sublime talents of a Jim Baxter or Davy Cooper,is something that all coaches should be teaching? them to do.

Too many moves fall down/fizzle out and the number of chances missed because of their inability borders on criminal.

I was two footed. Left back, right back, centre half - no problem. Equally inept in all three positions. There were plenty of one footed guys miles better than me. A good one footer is better than an average two footer. I'm thinking McKay.

No we wouldn't strengthen it one bit, all those players lack the necessary pace to play three at the back. It works for Chelsea because they have the calibre of player to suit it.

Anyway after the whistle is blown we basically move straight to a 2-5-3 as it is.

Surely a 2-5-2-1 ? The 3 up front are so far apart they need mobile phones to contact each other :D

Hodson is a quick and able defender. Have seen him a few times, not least at the Euros and during the games against Germany late last season.