Can i Look Yet? Rangers v Ross County Preview

I don't really thing the problem stems from our formation - we generally have 2 recognised strikers playing in Miller & Garner/Waghorn. It is more that they are not consistent/reliable enough in their finishing.

I disagree with Miller. He may be starting alongside Garner but there is no way is he being deployed like a striker. He continually drops deep to pick the ball up leaving Garner on his own up front. I am not blaming Miller for that though, it really seems to me like it is a management request. The issue is that every single time it happens the opposition stay in formation - I am sure MW and DW are deploying Miller like that hoping the CB will track him when he drops, opening space for others. However, every single opponent no longer tracks that dropping run, they just let him go... why ? Because we don't get in behind teams to hurt them so they have no reason to. As long as we play in front of teams we are predictable.

I disagree with Miller. He may be starting alongside Garner but there is no way is he being deployed like a striker. He continually drops deep to pick the ball up leaving Garner on his own up front. I am not blaming Miller for that though, it really seems to me like it is a management request. The issue is that every single time it happens the opposition stay in formation - I am sure MW and DW are deploying Miller like that hoping the CB will track him when he drops, opening space for others. However, every single opponent no longer tracks that dropping run, they just let him go... why ? Because we don't get in behind teams to hurt them so they have no reason to. As long as we play in front of teams we are predictable.

I can't remember the last time we had a 1 on 1 with the other teams keeper.

I can't remember the last time we had a 1 on 1 with the other teams keeper.

They've mostly fallen to Waghorn (who's missed them). I understand that teams tend to defend deep which makes getting beyond defences hard. But how teams manage to both defend deep and press us high up as well can be included in one of the lists of strange and unexplainable phenomena like the Bermuda Triangle or Big Foot.

Perhaps we should revert to a 4-4-2 (even though don't actually play a real 4-3-3 most of the times, as we push fullbacks forward too) at least tactically, with either Dodoo or Waghorn playing alongside Garner. Since he noted Dodoo's desire in the post-match interview (why didn't we make threes subs then?), I would not be surprised to see him being given the nod against Morton.

He says things re players on the bench in post match interviews to let them know he's not forgotten them and to make them feel included even when they haven't been. It's a reasonable thing to do although when taken literally can seem unreasonable, as in this case.

Tin hat time....

I'm not so sure he is offside you know - looking at dB's second picture it looks to me that he MIGHT be just behind the ball.

Remember Law 11 states (BH can confirm) that in order to be offside the offending player must be ahead of both the second to last opponent (so last defender given the keeper) AND the ball. From that 2nd picture it is not clear whether the offending player is ahead of the ball. He is certainly ahead of the last defender - but the ball is a different matter.

It's a terrible angle to determine it from but if you try to use the shading of the pitch and assume that the lines across the pitch are all in straight lines then it is VERY CLOSE as to whether he is ahead of the ball or not.

The linesman isn't in line to make the decision with perfect view (not always possible given players are quicker than officials) but if you look at it you can certainly see why he may have not called offside. Very difficult to blame the linesman for that decision either way.

Law 11

A player is in an offside position if: he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (usually the goalie plus one other)

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

It's very difficult to be definitive from these pictures because in the first one the ball is 1/2 yards off the RC player so you don't know where the attackers and defenders were at the moment the ball was last played and in the second one as Craig says it's a very bad angle.

It LOOKS offside against the winger IF the ball is played at that moment but again it's very difficult to say.

IMHO the linesman in the second picture has done well to be as close as he appears to be to the attackers bearing in mind that his starting position should be in line with the last defender and the ball travels far faster than any human being.

I'd just like to add that running the line is incredibly difficult because you have to watch for two things at once: the ball going out for a throw in and the offside. It's also a lot harder these days because the play is much faster than it was in the past and you are no longer allowed to make an instant decision.

Lastly linesmen like refs don't have the benefit of instant replay or freeze frame from whatever angle.

Even if it was a bad call, should we be relying on that v Ross County who we haven't beaten in 3 attempts this season?

Edited by BrahimHemdani

Law 11

A player is in an offside position if: he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (usually the goalie plus one other)

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee, involved in active play by:

• interfering with play or
  • interfering with an opponent or
  • gaining an advantage by being in that position

It's very difficult to be definitive from these pictures because in the first one the ball is 1/2 yards off the RC player so you don't know where the attackers and defenders were at the moment the ball was last played and in the second one as Craig says it's a very bad angle.

It LOOKS offside against the winger IF the ball is played at that moment but again it's very difficult to say.

IMHO the linesman in the second picture has done well to be as close as he appears to be to the attackers bearing in mind that his starting position should be in line with the last defender and the ball travels far faster than any human being.

I'd just like to add that running the line is incredibly difficult because you have to watch for two things at once: the ball going out for a throw in and the offside. It's also a lot harder these days because the play is much faster than it was in the past and you are no longer allowed to make an instant decision.

Lastly linesmen like refs don't have the benefit of instant replay or freeze frame from whatever angle.

Even if it was a bad call, should we be relying on that v Ross County who we haven't beaten in 3 attempts this season?

You can see it in moving pictures in here ... http://rangersfc.org/index.php?dn=news&to=art&id=2047 ... go to 14.40 left. The chap in the middle, Schalk, looks very much off-side, as does the chap receiving the flick.

NB: Just saw that Tavernier shot again (the clock runs down, so go to 16 mins "left") ... and Garner just after heading the ball gets flattened by their No. 10 (leading by the arm) in the box. Dunno whether that was worth a free kick (i.e. penalty) or at least a card.

I disagree with Miller. He may be starting alongside Garner but there is no way is he being deployed like a striker. He continually drops deep to pick the ball up leaving Garner on his own up front. I am not blaming Miller for that though, it really seems to me like it is a management request. The issue is that every single time it happens the opposition stay in formation - I am sure MW and DW are deploying Miller like that hoping the CB will track him when he drops, opening space for others. .

And with this - its the reason I wanted to see Miller play behind Dodoo before the Ross County game, I just see that as a better partnership. Dodoo has briefly showed he has a quality finish and going back to the Partick game Millers assist was sublime. Why not give that a go. MW seems to have tried everything else Garner/Miller, Miller/Waghorn, Waghorn/Miller/Garner, Miller/Garner/McKay.

I sit in the Sandy Jardine stand(front) in line with the 18 yard line and said to my son,who agreed, that the RC player was offside and also the goalscorer so it was two erroes by the linesman not being up with play.Just another example of the poor officiating in SPFL.