Can i Look Yet? Rangers v Ross County Preview

RANGERS stopper Rob Kiernan needed security protection at Ibrox on Saturday after coming under attack from a bitter mob of fans.

SunSport understands Kiernan — left out of Mark Warburton’s 18-man squad for the 1-1 draw against Ross County — was left shaken by the level of verbal abuse aimed at him from a number of supporters still angry over the midweek 4-1 hammering by Hearts.

Sources revealed he was targeted as he made his way to the players lounge at half-time.

It’s believed several stewards had to intervene to prevent the flashpoint escalating.

The defender was left out against the Staggies with Philippe Senderos coming in for only a third start of the season.

It’s expected Warburton will speak to the 26-year-old about the incident when the squad returns to training at Auchenhowie.

Kiernan — who cost a modest six-figure sum from Wigan in 2015 — signed a contract extension last July.

The ex-Kilmarnock loanee, who once worked with Warburton at Watford, has made 71 appearances for Gers.

It’s unclear yet if the scenes have made him reconsider his future.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/spo...05-_-799908207

It is quite sad that in this day and age, people are apparently much more willing to hurl abuse freely at someone, seemingly thinking that they will get away with it as if they were on an anonymous fan board or something. That ... and a lack of punishment being dealt out on this.

I actually thought it was slightly offside at the time but no one commented so I thought it must have been the camera angle on RTV.

I didn't notice it either, with the first incident, you do have the lines on the field of play though. It becomes ever more obvious the higher you are, the linesman does have a worse level of sight, but he's about five yards off the pace.

On a related sidenote ... we had MOH sent off for a very similar challenge committed by a Ross County play on Garner (methinks). We had Davies diving into Tav's shot on goal, clearly using his arms as an extention to his body, defelcting the shot and the keeper got a hand to that. A penalty any other day. You might say that in the latter instance, the sight of the ref was obstructd. In the first though, the high-feet tacle wasn't even worth a yellow card. Two refs, two rules, an as per usual, we left speechless.

The ref who sent off MOH was handed the Yahoo tie yesterday. And right on cue, he handed them a welcome penalty that never was when they were trailing 2-1, but denied them two of their own.

St Johnstone 2-5 Celtic: Penalty calls upset Tommy Wright

Tommy Wright felt St Johnstone were denied two penalties against Celtic and was upset at the award of a spot-kick for Brendan Rodgers' team, who won 5-2.

Trailing 2-1, Celtic were controversially given a penalty for handball against Keith Watson.

And manager Wright says infringements on Saints' Danny Swanson and Joe Shaughnessy in the box went unpunished.

"My players have done their job, Celtic have done their job, but unfortunately the officials haven't," he said.

"We actually should've had two penalties, if we're going to be honest.

"Danny's is a penalty. I've seen it back, thought it was at the time. It was a penalty.

"When a player contacts a player, makes no contact on the ball in the box, it's a penalty.

"You can quite clearly see his left knee gets pushed in, so there was contact [from Scott Brown] and that should've been a penalty.

"Joe Shaughnessy's dragged to the ground when the ball's in flight. The referee blows his whistle, warns the Celtic player. That should've been a penalty.

"And their penalty, if I live to 100, should never be a penalty. Absolutely, it should never be a penalty. I don't know how he can give it. I genuinely don't know how he can give it. I don't.

"I've been able to shout on to him [referee Craig Thomson] on the pitch and he puts his hands up to me as if he's caught the ball and it hasn't. It's hit his hip and probably touched his elbow. You can see that on the replay.

"You couldn't be sure. To give a penalty, you've got to be 100% and that'll be his answer with Danny's one, but certainly not with that [penalty awarded against Watson]. That cannot, should not happen at this level of football."

After substitute Moussa Dembele converted the spot-kick, the French striker scored again and completed his hat-trick after Scott Sinclair had fired Celtic's fourth goal.

Earlier, Liam Henderson had put Celtic ahead, but Watson's header and an own goal by Dedryck Boyata turned the match temporarily in Saints' favour.

"Granted, Celtic could go on and win the game 3-2, 4-2 without that decision because they've got so much talent and they bring on a striker [Dembele] reputedly valued at £40m, a quality player, and what they've got on their bench and what they had on the pitch," Wright told BBC Scotland.

"They had started the second half well, we had weathered that storm and the game was quietening down again, which was suiting us.

"The decision ultimately changes the whole dynamics of the game, gives Celtic a lift. It shouldn't deflate us a little bit, but it probably does. The players are angry and ultimately that is a game changer.

"We did look a real threat. With the ball, we were slightly better than what we had been against them."

Asked if he was going to speak to referee Thomson, Wright replied: "No, I'll be consistent, I'm not going in because I don't really see the point."

Rodgers had sympathy for his fellow manager and Northern Irish compatriot.

"If I'm Tommy then you're obviously bitterly disappointed," he said.

"You're 2-1 up. If they can keep hanging in there and hanging in then you never know what can happen.

"We get that wee rub of the green. We've had other moments when we haven't had it, but if I'm Tommy, I'm disappointed.

"For us, I'm happy to take it. Great penalty by Moussa and he's only on the field, but then after that we're really fast and clinical in our game."

Celtic's fifth goal came when Mikael Lustig's rabona trick found Callum McGregor, who in turn back-heeled for Dembele to score.

"The last goal was sensational," added Rodgers. "Mika from right-back's had about six or seven one-twos and great bit of skill, so that shows you the confidence, where the players are at."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38874842

Yes, they are probably the best in the country this season, but how much "rub of the green" they get is beyond joke.

Was another typical game really.

Early on, after almost conceding in the first minute, I thought we played some nice stuff with Tav and Garner doing quite well. Fox saves, goal-line blocks and inches just stopped us scoring. After half-time we then completely dominated and again their goalie made a few good saves before we finally equalised. But generally we huffed and puffed and it was tedious.

The same problems were evident though. We conceded a sloppy (though offside) goal. We could have conceded more with similarly poor play. Meanwhile, our midfield was again less than impressive and we had no quality in the final third.

As much as the defence is criticised for losing silly goals, our inability to break teams down, create chances and actually take them is what's costing us badly this season.

In terms of our fans -it's hard to blame anyone for being overly critical at times - on here or in-situ - but what supposedly happened to Kiernan is unacceptable. And, for those 10-15,000 fans who had buggered off by the time we did score, I have nothing but contempt for them too.

As long as they are being realistic. Can we voice our displeasure if they cause a situation where we get billy davies.

Yes,you certainly can.If youre not happy about something there is nothing wrong with letting youre feelings be known---within reason ofcourse.

Was another typical game really.

Early on, after almost conceding in the first minute, I thought we played some nice stuff with Tav and Garner doing quite well. Fox saves, goal-line blocks and inches just stopped us scoring. After half-time we then completely dominated and again their goalie made a few good saves before we finally equalised. But generally we huffed and puffed and it was tedious.

The same problems were evident though. We conceded a sloppy (though offside) goal. We could have conceded more with similarly poor play. Meanwhile, our midfield was again less than impressive and we had no quality in the final third.

As much as the defence is criticised for losing silly goals, our inability to break teams down, create chances and actually take them is what's costing us badly this season.

In terms of our fans -it's hard to blame anyone for being overly critical at times - on here or in-situ - but what supposedly happened to Kiernan is unacceptable. And, for those 10-15,000 fans who had buggered off by the time we did score, I have nothing but contempt for them too.

I've said it already but like the sound of my own voice so I'll say it again. I always thought we'd concede too many daft goals this season. But I thought it would be because we got too gung ho with our attacking play. But we're not gung ho at all and too often far too slow and stodgy in our play. And, to be blunt, our conversion rate is utterly shite.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg