Can i Look Yet? Rangers v Ross County Preview

Everyone is a bundle of nerves, the players and support, you are waiting go one down, before the players calm down and get into their game The only way we were going to get anything out the game was through our wingers, going for Garner wasn't working, they had two massive defenders (well they looked massive up against Garner) who were battering him upside down in turns, wide with pace was the answer, but it was the obligatory 60mins before it was changed, late tactical changes (if you can call it a tactical change?) isn't going to work against the better teams.

I think we all now agree the problem is our offense. It doesn't really matter (too much) if we concede the odd goal if we're scoring a few ourselves; we're not so those silly goals conceded are costing us big time.

Edited by Rousseau

Was another typical game really.

Early on, after almost conceding in the first minute, I thought we played some nice stuff with Tav and Garner doing quite well. Fox saves, goal-line blocks and inches just stopped us scoring. After half-time we then completely dominated and again their goalie made a few good saves before we finally equalised. But generally we huffed and puffed and it was tedious.

The same problems were evident though. We conceded a sloppy (though offside) goal. We could have conceded more with similarly poor play. Meanwhile, our midfield was again less than impressive and we had no quality in the final third.

As much as the defence is criticised for losing silly goals, our inability to break teams down, create chances and actually take them is what's costing us badly this season.

In terms of our fans -it's hard to blame anyone for being overly critical at times - on here or in-situ - but what supposedly happened to Kiernan is unacceptable. And, for those 10-15,000 fans who had buggered off by the time we did score, I have nothing but contempt for them too.

I noticed empty seats appear at the start of the second half. They multiplied as the game went on.

Tin hat time....

I'm not so sure he is offside you know - looking at dB's second picture it looks to me that he MIGHT be just behind the ball.

Remember Law 11 states (BH can confirm) that in order to be offside the offending player must be ahead of both the second to last opponent (so last defender given the keeper) AND the ball. From that 2nd picture it is not clear whether the offending player is ahead of the ball. He is certainly ahead of the last defender - but the ball is a different matter.

It's a terrible angle to determine it from but if you try to use the shading of the pitch and assume that the lines across the pitch are all in straight lines then it is VERY CLOSE as to whether he is ahead of the ball or not.

The linesman isn't in line to make the decision with perfect view (not always possible given players are quicker than officials) but if you look at it you can certainly see why he may have not called offside. Very difficult to blame the linesman for that decision either way.

I think we all now agree the problem is our offense. It doesn't really matter if we concede the odd goal if we're scoring a few ourselves; we're not so those silly goals conceded are costing us big time.

100% agree....

We are simply not scoring enough goals, and opposition teams know that. They know that if they get a goal, there is a good chance of taking points.

Both Miller & Garner are excellent workhorses, but they are not clinical enough in their finishing. Waghorn was banging in the goals last season, but throughout his career, hasn't been overly laden with goals (71 goals from 247 apps). Dodoo, has only played 25 pro matches, scoring 8.

We need someone who can RELIABLY score 20+ goals per season . Once we have a clear goal threat, teams will need to focus more on defence, rather than pushing for a quick/early goal.

What real fan abuse their own teams players like that!

I'm sure they probably had a few drinks and were in a crowd, cowards is what I call them.

Hopefully the club ban them for life from Ibrox.

Despise that type of behaviour which isn't just vile it's embarrassing for the club overall. It's not his fault he isn't Richard Gough i'm sure he would love to be and despite any flaws he is only doing what he was hired for to the best of his ability. It's all the more embarrassing that his girlfriend was with him when these yahoos thought they were entitled to abuse him. Get them out.

Tin hat time....

I'm not so sure he is offside you know - looking at dB's second picture it looks to me that he MIGHT be just behind the ball.

Remember Law 11 states (BH can confirm) that in order to be offside the offending player must be ahead of both the second to last opponent (so last defender given the keeper) AND the ball. From that 2nd picture it is not clear whether the offending player is ahead of the ball. He is certainly ahead of the last defender - but the ball is a different matter.

It's a terrible angle to determine it from but if you try to use the shading of the pitch and assume that the lines across the pitch are all in straight lines then it is VERY CLOSE as to whether he is ahead of the ball or not.

The linesman isn't in line to make the decision with perfect view (not always possible given players are quicker than officials) but if you look at it you can certainly see why he may have not called offside. Very difficult to blame the linesman for that decision either way.

Yep, one could argue that, but that ain't the really contentious one. The one were the midfielder nods on the ball from the keeper into our half has two people off-side, and rather clearly.

100% agree....

We are simply not scoring enough goals, and opposition teams know that. They know that if they get a goal, there is a good chance of taking points.

Both Miller & Garner are excellent workhorses, but they are not clinical enough in their finishing. Waghorn was banging in the goals last season, but throughout his career, hasn't been overly laden with goals (71 goals from 247 apps). Dodoo, has only played 25 pro matches, scoring 8.

We need someone who can RELIABLY score 20+ goals per season . Once we have a clear goal threat, teams will need to focus more on defence, rather than pushing for a quick/early goal.

Perhaps we should revert to a 4-4-2 (even though don't actually play a real 4-3-3 most of the times, as we push fullbacks forward too) at least tactically, with either Dodoo or Waghorn playing alongside Garner. Since he noted Dodoo's desire in the post-match interview (why didn't we make threes subs then?), I would not be surprised to see him being given the nod against Morton.

Perhaps we should revert to a 4-4-2 (even though don't actually play a real 4-3-3 most of the times, as we push fullbacks forward too) at least tactically, with either Dodoo or Waghorn playing alongside Garner. Since he noted Dodoo's desire in the post-match interview (why didn't we make threes subs then?), I would not be surprised to see him being given the nod against Morton.

I don't really thing the problem stems from our formation - we generally have 2 recognised strikers playing in Miller & Garner/Waghorn. It is more that they are not consistent/reliable enough in their finishing.

Yep, one could argue that, but that ain't the really contentious one. The one were the midfielder nods on the ball from the keeper into our half has two people off-side, and rather clearly.

Is that from the same sequence of play ? i.e. was it that header which sent the guy on the run down the wing to then play it across and they scored ? If so then I mostly agree with you - player in the centre of the pitch isn't offside though as he isn't technically "involved in that phase of play" (RVN used to do this ALL the time at Man U and Ibrahimovich scored a goal from that type of position a few weeks ago. However, the player receiving the ball initially is a couple of yards offside.