Can i Look Yet? Rangers v Ross County Preview

We welcome Ross County this weekend but first it’s only appropriate I touch on the capitulation at Tynecastle. Last night’s games versus Hearts was, for many, the last straw. Groundhog Day for the umpteenth time. I know some will say it’s the manner of the defeat and not the score but for me it’s both. Personally I missed the match due to being held hostage by the library. However by the looks of it, it seems many of the usual suspects are appearing to ineptly perform under some sort of duress?.

I can’t elaborate too much on something that I didn’t witness first hand however from the comments of those who did, it seems we are going over the same old ground that we have for a lot of the season. Lack of effort, commitment and desire from what must be the majority of the side. In addition being bullied and harassed into withering, submissive execution is something that is completely unacceptable. However rather than treating the symptom we need to find the source? What is the reason this side, who without doubt have the ability, have decided to throw in the towel periodically at first, and now whenever they feel intimidated by a side who forces the game and looks to attack them. Personally and from reading other comments on the forum I feel we have deeper problems with some again calling for the manager to step aside. What these problems are is open to speculation, however something clearly is not right.

We will hope to bounce back this Saturday when we welcome the Dingwall side to Ibrox for the 3pm KO, a welcome return from the inconvenient lunchtime slot. I noticed that County are bringing around four busses with them, at least they won’t have to leave in the middle of the night! I suspect they may be looking forward to “their big day oot in the city” let’s hope this Rangers side decide not to offer to warm a welcome and at least turn up looking to give 100% for the jersey? The last meeting at the Global Energy Stadium ended with a 1-1 draw, a first half header from Clint Hill being cancelled out before half time. If memory serves me it was another defensive error leaving the opposition unmarked in the area to rifle in a header. The second half was pretty forgetful and I remember thinking we looked to have settled for a point. Arguably the signs of future capitulation down to lack of commitment and desire were beginning to become evident, as far back as November. However, a point away up in the Highland’s is not the end of the world and we left relatively content with a point. The last match at Ibrox ended 0-0 in front of over 47k fans, we will have a full house again this Saturday as on a quick inspection of the seating plan there are around 50-100 single seats left. Therefore anyone reading this deliberating over attending this Saturday, best be quick to purchase their tickets.

The Transfer window has come and gone with very little movement, only Matt Gilks on the way out and Jan Alnwick from Port Vale being added as cover for Wes Foderingham. As frustrating as it is I don’t think anyone really expected much movement other than loan signings and the two we have acquired, especially Emerson Hyndman, look to be great additions to the set up. Some of the reporting in the media, as usual, has been narrative to say the least regarding our dealings. However it was pointed out by a few that some of the reporting over the like of McKay could work in our favour by highlighting the valuation of the player. I tend to agree they will print whatever they like regarding our business. We are aware that for one reason or another, the majority of their footballing loyalties lie in the East End. We will have to hope we can progress with what we have to the end of the season, starting with this weekend match.

After taking on board the comments from last night we should expect at least a few changes for Saturday. Halliday needs dropped, not rested, dropped, as has been the case for weeks. Tavernier is great going forward but we all know defensively he has most of us reaching for the Vodka or Valium, some weeks it’s both!! Therefore I would like to see the return of Hodson, who in my opinion should start every week. At centre half we have a bit of a problem, I know Kiernan needs dropped too, however it seems that MW sees something most of us don’t. It may be the case he agrees but thinks Wilson and Senderos are more of a liability, and he might be right. Which brings us back to Kiernan. At Ibrox and versus County I would hope alongside Hill he will be as competent as he can be. I’m not sure any of our other options would be any better. Up front I don’t know why Waghorn started against Hearts. He is nowhere near the player he was last season and looks disinterested. He also looks at least 3 kilos overweight, which begs the question, why? If he is not starting why is he not going the extra mile in training to be noticed? Which bring us back to my initial point over commitment and a deeper problem in the ranks. Taking that on board i would like to see us start with Wes in goal with a back four of Wallace, Hill, Kiernan, and Hodson. A midfield of Toral, Holt and Hyndman with an attack of McKay, Miller and Forrester. In all honesty after last night we could put names in a hat.

We will have another fantastic home support and a full house on Saturday and the side are very capable of producing a performance and victory we all know they are capable of. Many of us watch our games at the moment with head in hands or over our eyes. Some of our performances deserve to be classified 18 cert! Through all our troubles over the last 4-5 years our support and commitment to our club has never faltered and never wavered. When circumstances and outside agencies sought to destroy us every supporter stood strong in support and desire to see our great club restored to its rightful place at the top of Scottish football. Let’s get behind the team on Saturday and create another fantastic atmosphere, which we can only hope will transfer onto those on the pitch in a positive manner. I’m going to predict a powerful response from the players and a 3-0 home victory. Let’s hope it is indeed “safe to watch”?

C’mon eh Bears!

Edited by cooponthewing

Motherwell away ain't Hearts away ain't Ross County at home.

Hence tactics and team selection should change accordingly.

Generally, games such as this might be opportunities to trial and test formations that have not been used thus far. This will be far too revolutionary for some, but I'd rather trial and test formations against lesser opposition than throw them in against the better sides. Sure, our e.g. defenders might not be tested as much by teams like Ross County, but the players get to know one another in a more alien-than-normal line-up.

We have seen that a) Kiernan is not really up to it right now, and Halliday needs a rest too. Options are either Senderos (who is as quick as either of our normal CHs) or the untried Bates. IF the latter was good enough for a deal and held his own last season, why not place him alongside the old head of Hill? And have Tavernier play alongside him in a three-man back line? With Wallace and Hodson taking up the outer positions of the defence. In case of us attacking, Tav could step forward into DM and assist Hyndman, who should get that Halliday role for the day. Tav would add some steel in there AND has the pace to get back in times of need. Likewise, he could double up for Hodson on the right, should the latter move forward.

Foderingham

Hodson - Tavernier - Bates - Hill - Wallace

Hyndman

Looks defensive, but as we all know, our wingbacks usually are far up the field anyway, so we might actually get more men in midfield rather than a real 5-man defence. Tavernier's job is clean the middle and if he goes forward, do so through the middle and have a shot from distance.

I'd keep Miller as the creative attacking player. He has the brains to work alongside Hyndman and McKay, yet should not play as the main striker. I'd play Forrester on the right (he is more tricky than MOH and has two feet, as opposed to Waghorn), and Waghorn through the middle. McKay picks himself.

Forrester - Miller - McKay

Waghorn

IMHO, we do need to test such line-ups to stop more embrassements like last night. It simply won't do to test that only against Hearts or the Scum at their grounds. Players need to know how their fellows play and you can't do that solely in training. Should Ross County provide no test whatsoever, we can just as easily switch to 3-5-2, 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 if e.g. Tav moves into midfield.

Edited by der Berliner

It wouldn't surprise me if it was virtually the same starting 11, but put in a fabulous display.

I would suggest dropping Tav & Kiernan from defence, with Hodson & Senderos coming in. Or there is 20yr old David Bates who signed last year - no idea what he's like though.

Halliday dropped, in favour of Holt alongside Hyndman & Windass or Forrester

Up front I'd have Waggy, McKay & Dodoo with Miller on the bench.

I would also like to see a couple of the youngsters on the bench, with a view to getting some game time. They need evidence that there is a path to the 1st team.

They need to play the ball on the deck, in short sharp passing movements - give county the runaround for 45 mins. 2nd half, change it up a bit & start throwing in some diagonals & balls into the box.

Most importantly, they MUST operate as a team.

Tav's biggest problem is his defensive skills are lacking - excellent surging forward, but tends to switch of defensively with poor positioning.

If you want 3 CH's, Senderos, Hill & Bates might be worth trying. Allowing Tav & Wallace to run rampant on the wings.

from what I've seen of Hyndman, he would be wasted as a DM....he likes to push forward and annoy defences.

Rossiter would be useful in the DM position, but no idea when he is due to return.

Tav's biggest problem is his defensive skills are lacking - excellent surging forward, but tends to switch of defensively with poor positioning.

If you want 3 CH's, Senderos, Hill & Bates might be worth trying. Allowing Tav & Wallace to run rampant on the wings.

from what I've seen of Hyndman, he would be wasted as a DM....he likes to push forward and annoy defences.

Rossiter would be useful in the DM position, but no idea when he is due to return.

Rossiter is due to reappear on February 29th.

True enough, yet, I was contemplating the above with Wilson's and Rossiter's absence in mind. I would have Wilson ahead of Senderos, simply because he is quicker and can actually play a pass that finds one of our attackers.

Once Rossiter is fit, I'd play him alongside Hyndman. IMHO, Hyndman looks to be the next best option in DM (where he is supposed to play regularly by his stats).

As I said, Hodson should be our right wingback, while Tav can bolster the right-sided defensive midfield and hand some steel in there. I wouldn't mind playing Hodson on the right of a three-man back-line either, always depending on the opposition and the threat they cause on the day.

The frustrating thing about Tavernier is he can defend. Sort of. He's rarely beaten one on one. It's just that he goes to sleep. Hodson is better in that respect but his distribution is horrible. Swings and roundabouts.

DB's point that Hyndman is usually a more defensive midfielder is interesting because he looks our most potent attacking midfielder by quite a long way right now. Only one who seems to have much drive or directness right now. Was rather hoping we'd get that from Windass too but don't seem to be able to rely on it.

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg