Jak Alnwick Joins Gers

It is no coincidence how much Wes game has improved because he had serious competition from Gilks!, Jak will continue to push Wes for a start and if Wes continues his improvement he will be a wanted man, seems logical to me.

Just what does that mean Ian? Gilks put in the best performance from a Rangers goalie since McGregor in the SF v the tims to prevent an absolute gubbing, and he doesn't get another minute of action as his reward. It's no wonder he got himself another club pronto. It won't matter how much Jak impresses in training or bounce games, he ain't getting the gloves for the first team barring injury or suspension to Wes.

Just what does that mean Ian? Gilks put in the best performance from a Rangers goalie since McGregor in the SF v the tims to prevent an absolute gubbing, and he doesn't get another minute of action as his reward. It's no wonder he got himself another club pronto. It won't matter how much Jak impresses in training or bounce games, he ain't getting the gloves for the first team barring injury or suspension to Wes.

I'm sure you know what I mean!, however if you want me to explain it then I will.

Wes has improved big time this season and a lot of that is due to having a good keeper/pro pushing for a start, had Gilks not been here Wes improvement might not have been so rapid?, knowing you have to perform to your best due to another player pushing you to raise your game has to improve any player. If Wes continues his progression then I would expect a bit of interest in him from other clubs in the summer.

I hope that explains it?.

To add to that if you have a player who has been playing well and misses out on one match due to injury/suspension or whatever do you then leave that in form player out just because another player comes in for one match and plays well?, don't think so!, if the player who misses out due to suspension/injury... after a run of bad performances and the player who replaces them performs well then that is a different scenario!, fact is I don't think Wes deserves to be benched, do you?.

Edited by ian1964

Im not having a go at you, it is a well used phrase when talking about keepers, but in this case has no evidence to back it up.

FWIW I dont see any improvement in Wes over the course of this season. He is a competent keeper, no better, IMO. His distribution (the main reason he was bought we keep getting told) is indecisive at best and downright dangerous at worst (view the pass to Halliday early on at Fir Park as evidence). Gilks was a far better shot-stopper in my view.

After the OF game I thought there was not a chance in hell that Wes would be back in the team given how shaky he had been and how well Gilks had performed. MW thought differently. If I was Gilks I would have been gutted. As a sub keeper you are waiting on your chance, if that comes from injury/suspension/cup rotation it doesnt matter, you have to grab your chance when it comes to show you are better than the other guy. Gilks did this without doubt but still got benched.

Wes is one of the gaffers favourites, just like Keirnan, Halliday, Miller. No matter how shaky they are, or how well their deputies play, they come back in straight away. That whole spine of the team is exactly where we are weak, why we concede too many goals, and why we dont score enough.

Jak is about to find out it wont matter a jot how well he does in training, bounce games, etc, Wes is going to be played ahead of him. I dont see how that means Jak (or Gilks before him) can "push" Wes to perform better.

His only chance is Wes being sold in the summer, perhaps that has been whispered to him. If we get any 7 figure offers for Wes I will be amazed, never mind multiples thereof.

Im not having a go at you, it is a well used phrase when talking about keepers, but in this case has no evidence to back it up.

FWIW I dont see any improvement in Wes over the course of this season. He is a competent keeper, no better, IMO. His distribution (the main reason he was bought we keep getting told) is indecisive at best and downright dangerous at worst (view the pass to Halliday early on at Fir Park as evidence). Gilks was a far better shot-stopper in my view.

After the OF game I thought there was not a chance in hell that Wes would be back in the team given how shaky he had been and how well Gilks had performed. MW thought differently. If I was Gilks I would have been gutted. As a sub keeper you are waiting on your chance, if that comes from injury/suspension/cup rotation it doesnt matter, you have to grab your chance when it comes to show you are better than the other guy. Gilks did this without doubt but still got benched.

Wes is one of the gaffers favourites, just like Keirnan, Halliday, Miller. No matter how shaky they are, or how well their deputies play, they come back in straight away. That whole spine of the team is exactly where we are weak, why we concede too many goals, and why we dont score enough.

Jak is about to find out it wont matter a jot how well he does in training, bounce games, etc, Wes is going to be played ahead of him. I dont see how that means Jak (or Gilks before him) can "push" Wes to perform better.

His only chance is Wes being sold in the summer, perhaps that has been whispered to him. If we get any 7 figure offers for Wes I will be amazed, never mind multiples thereof.

You and I are always going to disagree on most things Rangers, we all see things different and have different opinions which is good, my glass is always half full and yours is always half empty.

Edited by ian1964

Its what your glass is half full of thats the problem sometimes mate!

I follow Rangers all over the place, have done for three decades, and I dont do that hoping to be disappointed. If I want to be disappointed I can sit in the house with the wife!

One persons half empty glass is another's gritty realism!

Hopefully tonight we can agree that we played really well, scored some great goals, and got a valuable three points. That will certainly fill my glass right up!

Its what your glass is half full of thats the problem sometimes mate!

I follow Rangers all over the place, have done for three decades, and I dont do that hoping to be disappointed. If I want to be disappointed I can sit in the house with the wife!

One persons half empty glass is another's gritty realism!

Hopefully tonight we can agree that we played really well, scored some great goals, and got a valuable three points. That will certainly fill my glass right up!

Very true, a good win tonight will be fantastic.