MW: Harry Forrester has all the ability in the world but he has to be more consistent

Rangers star Harry Forrester would be in the team every week if it was judged solely on his ability says Mark Warburton

Warburton, who worked with the 26-year-old at Watford and Brentford, is convinced he’s capable of becoming a mainstay at Ibrox.

Mark Warburton says Harry Forrester would be in his Rangers team every week if it was solely down to his ability on the ball.But the Ibrox gaffer has hinted that his talented midfielder must do more OFF it to earn a starting slot.

Forrester has been a bit-part player so far this season and has only shown flashes of his ability off the bench.But Warburton, who worked with the 26-year-old at Watford and Brentford, is convinced he’s capable of becoming a mainstay at Ibrox.

He said: “I know Harry inside out. I talk to him all the time and know players get frustrated. But he needs to focus on him.“Harry has all the ability in the world but he has to be more consistent.“With the talent he has, he should be a starter. But there are reasons why he isn’t.

“He has to be better than the players currently in the team. We have options and that’s the challenge for him.“It’s not about potential now with Harry, he’s 26. He has to force his way back in and when he gets the chance, he has to take it.”

Warburton will be at Ibrox today hoping to see the next generation of Rangers stars shine.

Their academy youngsters take on Falkirk in an SFA Youth Cup tie. The gaffer wants to see how the kids handle playing at Ibrox.

Warburton said: “I’ll be there watching and it’ll be good for the boys to play at Ibrox. Every young kid wants the chance to play in the main stadium and it will be great experience for them.

“There’s some real talents coming through like Billy Gilmour. The challenge for them is to make sure they make that transition.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-star-harry-forrester-would-9669100

I'm surprised Forrester hasn't featured more this season as he proved himself really useful last term creatively and goals scored.

I'd certainly be looking to give him a go in the team ahead of the struggling Holt and O'Halloran.

I've been calling on Forrester to be given a game for weeks. Particularly on Saturday when we were clearly calling out for a midfielder that would run at their defence. When Warburton opted to bring on Windass ahead of him I couldn't believe it - I then had to eat my words as Windass actually did quite well but I just think Forrester gives that extra bit of 'dig' that we severely lack at times.

I can only assume he doesn't deliver the goods in training. Less time taking selfies and more time on the training pitch would be a good start!