[FT] Rangers 2 (Miller 85; 89) - 1 Motherwell

After writing half a match preview I decided to toss it and start again. Why? Well I found myself falling into the negativity trap that the press have been bombarding us with since December the 31st. Unfortunately with Scottish football being put on hold for 3 weeks the media need to dig deep to fill their papers and what is easier than to fill it with drivel over The Rangers. Let us not kid ourselves on, all is not Rosy in the garden but we have entered a new year in the history of Rangers Football club. The most successful club in the world will become 145 years old this year and that is something we can be positive and happy about.

Unfortunately Saturdays Scottish Cup match against Motherwell will start with a negative after the loss of ex-player Johnny Little. As I have only just reached my 60th birthday today as I write, I have no recollection of Johnny but it is always sad to lose one of the Rangers family. All the strength to his family. As a mark of respect, a minute’s silence will be observed prior to Saturday’s game.

Saturday brings on a new adventure in the Scottish cup and and the begin of a new competitive year. Let us forget the Leipzig game and think positive as that was a game we were always going to lose, RB Leipzig has become a European top team with an owner that has pumped millions into the club instead of our past owners and a few shareholders who only wanted\wants to pump money out of the club.

Like Rangers, the Scottish cup also has a rich history and dates back until 1873 one year younger than Rangers. While the English FA competition is a few years older, the Scottish Cup trophy is actually the oldest trophy in football dating back to 1874. The original trophy is kept in the Hampden museum and brought out once a year to be presented at the the cup final. After the final the cup is returned to the museum and a replica is presented to the cup winners. The biggest shock in the competition was in 1938 when 2nd division East Fife won the cup beating first division Kilmarnock in the final.

Hibs became the second, 2nd tier club to win it last season, but the less said about that game the better.Queens Park are the only non-league team to win it by beating Celtic in the 1893 final.

While Celtic top the winners charts with 36 wins against Rangers 33 wins the surprise team who hold 3rd place with 10 wins is Queens Park. All of their wins was between 1874 and 1900 though when they virtually dominated Scottish football. A good question for a pub quiz with probably only the older guys getting it right.

Rangers have two new signings in contention for a place in the team on Saturday. Jon Toral and Emerson Hyndman were signed on loan and are both hoping for a starting spot. Both played a half a game against Leipzig. While I think Toral may get a start I think Hyndman will have to be content with a place on the bench. Warburton has started the last 3 games with a 3 man back-line with Tavernier moving forward to the right wing-back position. Warburton will probably stick with this system with the only difference being that the suspended Tavernier will drop out for Captain Marvel, Lee Wallace to come in at left wing -back. I am not sure if Gilks will get the keepers role for cup games but if he does then he has shown in the past that he is a worthy replacement for Foderingham.

The midfield needs freshening up in my opinion with Holt possibly needing a break after playing every game after coming back from injury. He certainly looks to have been running on empty the last few games and needs to get that spark back that saw him ghost into great scoring positions last season. Haliday probably also needs a rest but playing two brand new virtually untried players in the engine-room would be taking a very big gamble. One which I doubt Warburton will take.

I think the team will be:

Gilks

Kiernen Hill Wilson

Haliday Wallace

Forrester\Dodoo toral Miller McKay

Waghorn

We have already beaten Motherwell twice this season and I don't see any reason to think tomorrow should be any different. I actually think we will win comfortably.(That's it positive thinking.)

C'mon the Gers!!!

Many thanks for that Pete!

Not sure of your line-up though and I think with Wallace fit again we'll go back to our preferred 4-3-3 for tomorrow. Indeed, I'd like to see a team along the following lines:

rfc_motherwell.jpg

Many thanks for that Pete!

Not sure of your line-up though and I think with Wallace fit again we'll go back to our preferred 4-3-3 for tomorrow. Indeed, I'd like to see a team along the following lines:

rfc_motherwell.jpg

I thought of that but he could have played that way by moving Hodson to the left. He said on RTV that Wallace can easily switch to wing-back which makes me think he could keep it as it was. Possible red herring though.

I thought of that but he could have played that way by moving Hodson to the left. He said on RTV that Wallace can easily switch to wing-back which makes me think he could keep it as it was. Possible red herring though.

He could maintain the three by playing Wallace instead of Wilson which allows for another attacking player. I'd still expect Hodson to replace Tav on the right but I guess Windass could do that role.

Generally though I'm expecting a 4-3-3.

Happy Birthday Pete!

Big month for Waghorn you would think. With Garner out for a few weeks, and with him failing to capitalise on a couple of good sub appearances coming back from injury, the jury has been out a little on whether he has the quality and consistency needed.

Be interesting to see what the manager does in terms of Emerson and Toral - I fancy one of them might start, with the other coming off the bench.